Old 27 March 2024, 13:36   #1

Length: 3m +
Zodiac middle keel tube

Hi all.
I guess this has been covered at sometime but.
I have a zodiac c mk11 with the pionted rear tubes
And the middle keel tube has came unstuck from the boat floor..
If im right this looks like hypalon as it has a fabric inside. and the boat flooring is pvc at a guess.

Would i have to use two types of glue to enable them to stick together..ie paste hypalon glue to the tube and use 2 part for the keel then 2 part to glue them together again.
Any info would be very gratefull.
It looks like it had been re glued before but it had became very rubbery and jelly like and just pulled away very easily.
Thanks
Old 27 March 2024, 16:44   #2

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
It depends on the glue. Some will bond to both, others will require you to prime with one glue and stick with another.

This stuff will stick to both.
https://www.nrs.com/stabond-adhesive/pkjz
Old 27 March 2024, 18:05   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith 1 View Post
Hi all.
I guess this has been covered at sometime but.
I have a zodiac c mk11 with the pionted rear tubes
And the middle keel tube has came unstuck from the boat floor..
If im right this looks like hypalon as it has a fabric inside. and the boat flooring is pvc at a guess.
The MKII CGT is a leisure SIB, so available in Strongan Duotex, basically Zodiac's own PVC. The only boat in the range of that era that had hypalon was the Grand Raid.

Anyway - back to your predicament. The keel tube is the same material. You need to completely remove the old glue. You need to be meticulous, and where you are reattaching, then lightly sand the keel tube and the floor of the boat in the area where the two will come together. Use masking tape to maintain a clean environment where you are laying down glue. Importantly, I'm pretty sure I'm correct on this use PVC glue as the floor is PVC. The only reason the use hypalon glue is attaching rubber components to PVC, grab handles and D rings and such like.

This time of year isn't great, high humidity and low temperatures, so if you're pressing on, you'll need a garage or outbuilding, dust free and decent ambient temperatures, around 20-22 degrees. Get the boat tubes to operating pressure. For the keel, as it's not pressing against the aluminium floorboards, you can leave deflated. it also needs to be well ventilated, Polymarine 2-part glue gives off fumes.

Once the old glue is off, and importantly de-greased, then apply a thin layer of the glue to the determined area on the floor and the underside of the keel tube. Leave 30 minutes. Return and apply a second coat, again lightly, leave 5 minutes then bring both together in contact position. Remember and remove the masking take prior to final bond.

Press down. A wall-paper seam roller is perfect. Press hard up and down the length of the keel tube. Put a length of timber on it and weight down with whatever you have handy. Leave for at least 24-36 hours, again maintain room temperature.

Importantly - check the inflation valve exits where you expect it too at the floor-board next to the thrust board.

https://www.polymarine.com/advice/technical-sheets/
Old 27 March 2024, 18:56   #4

Thanks for that info spartacus

I wont be doing this untli it warms up im in scotland too.
But at least i can get prepared for the job it seemed like it was only glued on in at the transom end and the centre the keel part wast by the looks of it and wss free to move a little when inflated .
Not sure if thats done so it can be moved around a bit when accessing the valve but thanks for the info

Tags
zodiac