Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 29 September 2014, 14:33   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Zodiac 340 Acti-V & Mercury 15 2-stroke Mini Review.

Looked through the forum and couldn't see a review of the Zodiac 340 Acti-V so here's how I've found the new to me one I bought last week... might be of interest to anyone who searches in the future thinking of buying one.

Just bought an outfit of a 2004 Zodiac 340 Acti-V (air floor with high pressure keel) and 2004 Mercury 15hp 2-stroke.

The outboard was gleaming and little used but the Zodiac was grubby with an air floor that went down in a few hours. It came with genuine Zodiac transom wheels, seat, oars and Zodiac seat bag but no pump. Priced taking condition into account.

A quick scrub of the boat itself brought it up nicely but as usual with these Zodiac air floors with a coarse texture some dirt remains on the floor. The boat held pressure perfectly in a 6 day test on the lawn and the air floor leak was simply the connecting hose between air floor and keel. Bought a new one (£25) and it held pressure for 4 days without losing any. The boat isn't showing any signs of glue failure and is free of patches so far so looks OK for a good few years yet.

I treated it to a new Bravo 9 pump and Bravo gauge that both works inline with the pump hose and as a stand alone when on the water.

The Mercury 15 2-stroke is well known on here and it's not so long since I (stupidly) sold my mint Mariner 15 so I knew what to expect. I serviced the outboard inc new plugs and gear oil. After an unknown time stored it started in the test tank first pull before the cord was even half way out which was promising... and it pumped water so well I'll leave the impeller for now. As reported elsewhere the tilt bracket pins were a little dry and stiff and the tank pickup needed mending but with those sorted it looked ready to go.

After our previous 160lb Honwave 3.5m alloy floor handling the 88lb Zodiac is a dream. I can easily move it about single handed packed or inflated. The Mercury 15 is on the limit of handling for me so we use the boat with transom wheels as it's trolley and park so we can get the boat to the back of the car to minimise how far I have to lift.

I like the genuine Zodiac transom wheels as they are some of the strongest but I have to admit I've got used to the folding Trem type on our Avon 3.1 inflatable so will sort some Trems out for this Zodiac.

Where we usually set up the boat is some 300m from the slip and a single handed trundle down the streets to the water is very easy with the light Acti-V.... little different to trolleying a suitcase at the airport.

I always worry about a newly purchased outboard but thankfully this one was faultless on the water with first time cold start and no more than a third of the pull cord out started it from hot. After the last few outings with our Avon and a 4hp it's nice to have a bit of power under the twistgrip again.

There is no doubt the high pressure and slightly deeper air keel of the Acti-V gives it a better performance feel on the water than either our Avon or Honwave 3.5 with sausage keels. I've not had the 15 on the Avon to compare but this Zodiac is quick to plane and seems quicker overall than our old Honwave.

The keel arrangement and the two extra little fin keels near the transom do seem to make a small but worthwhile difference in turns and it seems to handle better than any other conventional inflatable I've usd so far... but of course don't get me wrong it's no Aerotec!

We were launched for 6hrs inc stops and did 25Nmls in the Zodiac on Sunday. It was a bit choppy so time on the plane was minimised as the wife finds it uncomfortable but we saw a snatched max of 17Knts into the waves before I had to ease down to stop the smallish dog being bounced into the sea.... and a comfortable-ish cruise with the wave direction was 13Knts.

We didn't feel any significant air floor issues either humping up or cavitation which I can only put down to the HP keel and the fact this boat is a little shorter than our previous 360 Fastroller so less floor to bend. The wife with slight joint problems says on balance she now prefers the air floor.

So for now this Zodiac seems to ideally suit our "easy to manage daily inflate for two persons & dog" needs.... as Max said it might.

Until of course something else interesting comes along and we change tack again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac 340 Mersea.jpg
Views:	1484
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	99454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac 340 Mersea2.jpg
Views:	2318
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	99455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac 340 Mersea3.jpg
Views:	4556
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	99456  
Old 29 September 2014, 17:00   #2

Town: gloucestershire
Length: 4m +
Looking at the pontoon cleat, I take it your worried it might float off !.
Old 29 September 2014, 17:12   #3

Ha yes that was a helpful non boaty type with his kids fishing off the pontoon who was so keen to help as we motored/drifted in! Seemed rude to undo all his good work.
Old 29 September 2014, 19:04   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Nice review, nearly gone full circle David!
Old 29 September 2014, 20:50   #5

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Engine: Parsun 15hp
No humping----no cavitation------------envy is such a bad thing !!!

Phil
Old 29 September 2014, 21:00   #6

I know I was a bit taken aback. Far less of such things than any sausage keel air floor I've been in and less than the 360m Fastroller. There is flex under your feet of course, not saying it's like a wood or alloy floor.

Mind you I've only been on the plane in very bumpy water and I remember from the 360 sometimes the best time to experience the issues was on dead calm water so you knew anything "lumpy" was the floor.

Are you still using yours or is end of season for you now?
Old 29 September 2014, 21:17   #7

No, I will be out this week and all through winter either fishing on the rivers or sea. I am not sure how this is going to pan out but it is nice to hear that someone has a good air floor with none of my issues.

Phil
Old 03 October 2014, 09:28   #8

A non-forum boaty friend has just read this thread and said "surely some negatives"?

Well yes nothing to spoil its suitability for our current need but...

I still think Zodiac should have put on a stronger transom, perhaps like the Honwave GRP with timber core.

The textured air floor surface is a pig to clean.

Far prefer all round grab ropes than the Zodiac strap/grab loops than only extend from forward seat position to transom.

I really would like two more lift handles nearer the front.

The seats on this model are very fiddly to attach.
Old 07 October 2014, 19:21   #9

Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Engine: 15hp Mariner
Nice outfit, though supprised you have gone 360deg back to the Zodiac. I'm interested in what the advantage was in going back?

Seats could not be simpler once you have the technique. Just attach them while the tubes are soft, or one side at least, also don’t push the seat onto the mounting points, instead lift the mounting points into the seat clip, otherwise they just push out of position.

I agree with the air floor being hard to clean, subsiquently we only use ours for occasional trips off Lyme Bay now, as local river trips are out of the question.

Something to look out for: Inflate the keel / floor until its fairly hard & leave the tubes deflated, lift the front of the boat & you may notice the keel is noticeably off centre, with the tubes deflated you can reach underneath & centralise it (it’s usually actually the edge closest to the air floor which needs centralising before then centralising the edge that points into the waterline)

We rarely use ours & are now saving for some sea kayaks, if we can pick a few up cheap during winter we may keep the Zodiac but it's more likely ours will be sold next summer, boating for a family of 6 on a budget is a challenge
Old 07 October 2014, 22:47   #10

>>>surprised you have gone 360deg back to the Zodiac. I'm interested in what the advantage was in going back?

Well (if you can stick with the story)....

We came back to smallcraft boating about 10yrs ago after a longish break. Bought a brilliant outfit of a 13ft GRP sporty Bonwitco dinghy with console/remotes and a 25hp (it had a 20 as well for a period) Mariner on a trailer.

Had great fun with that, often Scottish West coast hols, but realised greater portability would be an advantage for some outings so bought a truly mint early 70s 3m hypalon Zodiac which fairly soon gained a 9.8hp Tohatsu. We ran this alongside the Bonwitco for a while using whichever suited what we were doing at the time.

It soon became clear the old Zodiac was more use and easier to store than the Bonwitco but a bit small and I was worried (wrongly as it happens) about the integrity of a 40yr old inflatable so in a quick series of deals we sold the Bonwitco, sold the Zodiac then bought a 2001 sausage keel Zodiac 340 air floor which had a choice of our Tohatsu 9.8 of a Mariner 15 2-stroke we'd bought for more power.

We were so pleased with the 340 and by chance almost immediately a bit of spare cash appeared and the wife said why not buy a brand new boat then we'll have something to last for the next 10yrs+. So we sold the 340 and bought the new Zodiac 360 Fastroller which I guess you've read about... it had a seam issue the first time it was pumped up then it's replacement had even more issues so I took a full refund.

Somewhat on the rebound from these Zodiac issues we went for a new Honwave 3.5 with alloy floor. This was loads cheaper than the Zodiac and when we started using it I was very impressed with design and quality.

Not much time passed before our teen girls were less certain to come with us and sadly my wife showed early signs of joint issues.... so we had gone down from 4 + dog to 2 + dog... and I was getting almost no help with the carrying, setting up and taking down.

Then by chance daughters college/uni hassles made us miss a couple of holidays and I realised the weight and single handed assembly of the Honwave/15hp was putting me off using it and it was spending far too much time in the garage so we sold the outfit and considered giving up boating for a while.

But by chance almost immediately I spotted a mint condition Avon 310 with 4hp Mariner and bought that cheapish outfit so we at least could still get on the water. Great as far as it went but after the 360 and Honwave with 15hp we soon found it too slow and the small tubes compared with the newer boats allowed it to ship water as soon as it was choppy.

Then we happened to see this 2004 340 Acti-V with a great condition Mercury 15 and thoughts turned to how we liked the old 340, how it seemed better built than the newer 360, how its light weight/air floor suited single handed setting up/launching and how much fun it was with a 15hp so on a bit of a whim we bought it. After just one outing it suited us so much we've just sold the Avon (but kept the 4hp Mariner for local river use).

So that's where we are now. And as I said above only until another bit of man maths sends us off in a different direction!

Re seats ours attach in a different way to yours, I think you have the same as the Fastroller where you push in a button either side of the fixing? Ours slide along a "pipe ended" tab with a further tab to be threaded through the fixing to stop forward/aft movement.

I was involved in discussions here on the HP keel twisting because it had caused some of the fixing tabs (keel to outer floor skin) on my second 360 to tear. I have it sussed now though. Due to a leak I had to replace the hose that connects floor to keel on this latest 340 and when fitting the new one I found it was possible to align the (fairly stiff) hose in a position that made the keel stand at right angles to the floor. By default it seems the hoses are fitted in the factory so they tend to twist the keel over a little which is then made worse during floor inflation.

I've just done the final bit of tidying on the 340. Decided to change the Zodiac launch wheels for some folding Trem ones. So I filled all the holes from the Zodiac wheels and repainted the transom which was a bit scuffed. Then I fitted the Trem wheels which freed up the top mount holes that the Zodiac wheel bolts go through and I've put a towing eye each side in these redundant holes.

So it's now 100% how I want it except for a second seat. I'll look for one on Ebay over the winter.... or just get the fittings and make the seat.
Old 08 October 2014, 06:34   #11

An interesting read Fenlander and particularly the fact that this current set up is basically handled by you alone which is what I am doing for most of the time. I always find these things to be a compromise between the ' ideal ' boat and one which has the practical advantages that suit our needs, I guess like most things in life.
In some ways I wanted to buy another Zodiac but as a retired old tart, the cost was too high and the Honwave offered a great boat for the money. I only wish I had bought a 3.2 instead of the 3.8 which may have been more manageable off the water.

I have the time to reflect during this winter period what direction I will take regarding the Excel 330. I do believe the boat is a good quality craft for a flat floor SIB and perhaps the very flat water I have been using it on has shown it in it's worst light but my heart and head is leaning towards those folding ribs but I will wait until I have had the opportunity to try one out before making my mind up.
I am down your neck of the woods in a fortnight for a weeks holiday in Suffolk near Southwold and was toying with the idea of taking the SIB with us but knowing the seas this time of the year, we may just stick to a bit of clay shooting and fishing the lake where we stay.

Phil
Old 08 October 2014, 14:48   #12

Well only roughly our area... we are clinging onto the western edge of Cambridgeshire in a village near the A1. Know that bit of coast well though as we've been going there on and off all my life. You going to High Lodge? That's a place I've not been but others of our family have. Very tidy and well run.

I know Southwold well... particularly the harbour entrance which can get quite unsuitable for SIBs and looks a small target once you get some way out. Slipway's often muddy too, have you launched from there before?

But all round it's a great area to visit.

I'd buy a Honwave 3.2 air floor too... except for an irrational dislike of the trim tab arrangement and the curvy wheels needed.
Old 08 October 2014, 15:06   #13

Town: England
Boat name: boat
Make: Zodiac Cadet340Activ
Engine: 15hp Mariner
Just noticed on your pictures you have the pointed tubes & failed to notice it's a 4004, I didn’t realise they had different seat fixings.

It's interesting and maybe a little re-assuring to hear somebody with your experience confident enough with the transom to fit towing eyes, my local Force 4 advised me not to fit them, I was going to buy a Ringo from them but they suggested the transom on the Zodiac would not be strong enough, this and the numerous de-laminating threads is off putting. I'm relatively new to this, & possibly been put off a little from researching.

I must take the air-floor out to see what you mean regarding re-routing the tube, sounds like a worthwhile modification as it is a pain.

Being comfortable around engines I don’t get too concerned about the motor but rather ignorantly presumed that there can’t be much to consider buying a blow up bag to throw it on. Yet the blow up bag requires so much more maintenance then the motor.

Just looked at a couple of your previous reviews, very informative
Old 08 October 2014, 15:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Well only roughly our area... we are clinging onto the western edge of Cambridgeshire in a village near the A1. Know that bit of coast well though as we've been going there on and off all my life. You going to High Lodge? That's a place I've not been but others of our family have. Very tidy and well run.

I know Southwold well... particularly the harbour entrance which can get quite unsuitable for SIBs and looks a small target once you get some way out. Slipway's often muddy too, have you launched from there before?

But all round it's a great area to visit.

I'd buy a Honwave 3.2 air floor too... except for an irrational dislike of the trim tab arrangement and the curvy wheels needed.
Yes, you have guessed, High Lodge where we have been going two or three times a year for the past 10 years, love the place.

I have launched the kayaks from there many times but not the sib although there is a slipway down by the pier but to be honest the sea gets very choppy this time of year with a heavy shore dump so I think the sib will stay at home.

I too hate the air trim tabs, seems like a good idea until you fit the SPECIAL shaped wheels which are twice the price of normal wheels, very tricky when on my own to fit.

Oh well we will have to see what santa brings although we will be at High Lodge for the new year so money already spoken for------------bugger.

Phil
Old 09 October 2014, 08:32   #15

T4... The towing eyes I've fitted are just for helping other smallcraft in an emergency, I've made up a towing bridle which I carry in the anchor bag. I'd only be looking at towing in a kayak, inflatable or small sailing boat etc. Your Force 4 folks are right that it isn't the strongest transom for towing ringos etc.

Of course the stress in towing is mainly between the outboard clamp area and the eye holes and it would be possible to reinforce this. The extra bit of outboard pad timber outside the transom is only screwed on and you could replace this with a piece that extended to take in the towing eye area.

Yep pop your floor out sometime and inflate it upside down to see how the keel sits. The three I've seen have all been the same. For a start the end bosses have all been set on the hose the same (see image below) but the floor and keel are at right angles so that means the hose is applying a twist to the keel. Then if yours is like mine you'll find if you loosen the plastic "bolts" that connect hose assembly to floor and keel then move it about so the hose comes off at various angles you'll get one position where the keel naturally sits up straight.

Just as a matter of interest the metal boss in both keel and floor that the hose connects to is exactly the same boss as the one you inflate through on the topside of the floor (with the screw in Delrin valve). So to independently test either keel or floor you can take the hose assy off and fit a spare Delrin valve.

At 10yrs old my hose was just starting to perish by the clip securing it to one of the bosses... also one of the plastic bosses had deformed over time to the point when added to a tired O-ring it had a just audible leak however much you tightened it.
Old 09 October 2014, 08:36   #16

Image of HP keel hose...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zodiac keel hose.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	99718  
Old 09 October 2014, 08:45   #17

Phil..

Well you seem to have the leisure side of retirement sorted!

I'd wondered what the special Honwave wheels would be like single handed. It was the single handed issue that caused me to swap the Zodiac ones for swing up Trem types. I likes the Zodiac ones for their simplicity and strength so had them on every inflatable so far. Problem with the Zodiac ones though is sometimes you need a second person to hold them in posn while you screw in the T headed bolt... and of course drop the bolt in the sea and you're stuffed.
Old 09 October 2014, 10:43   #18

To be honest the reason I chose the wheels I have is for the ease of single handed use as they can be fitted while the sib is flat on the ground. Once fitted, simply lift the sib and click into the down position, the engine is then fitted.
On the water, I just push the top of the wheel shaft down and the wheels just pop up. A bit more effort needed to push the wheels back down for landing but not bad at all.

These are the type.

I find they take all the hard work of fitting wheels and holding the sib off the ground out of the equation.

Pity you are not closer to High Lodge, you could have come over and I would take you clay shooting.

Phil
Old 09 October 2014, 15:13   #19

Thanks for the pics... similar arrangement to the Trems as far as use goes. The only little issue with fitting the Trems is the lower "button headed bolt" that need s a couple of extra holes drilling in the transom... right where the rear of the air floor comes to! Great care needed to make sure you don't drill through the floor!

Good of you to comment re clay shooting. Due to a father that owned many sporting guns I was bought "my" first air gun at 5yrs old and a .410 at 8yrs. Oddly not laid hands on a gun for the last 40+yrs though so probably a bit rusty.

Is that your Excel? Looks just as if it were a Honwave from the materials/construction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zodiac Trem wheels.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	99723  
Old 09 October 2014, 15:50   #20

Yes it is my Excel, it is available in grey, red or blue , it is only the tube ends that really look different to the Honwave. The same problem for me with the fittings so I have simply used bolts for the top two and screwed into the transom/wood floor retaining blocks to see how it goes. If I need to remove the wood blocks and fit the normal bolts, I will do and just drill out the blocks to take the bolt ends / nuts but so far so good.

Phil