Old 29 September 2018, 08:49   #1

Town: Cambridge
Make: Bombard DB 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 90HP carb
Transom wheels difference

Happy Aerotec owner now - I managed to get an 04 year in a surprisingly good state. Nice, clean, no sign of glue failure anywhere. There are only two things I don't like about the purchase: non-battery Bravo pump and no transom wheels.

I'll eBay the current Bravo and get one with internal battery, no drama (probably in a different other though).

On transom wheels I spent yesterday reading various threads from the usual suspects on here and have a question:
When fitted to original transom lugs, what's the difference between original Zodiac and Trem HD 180kg wheels? Are these long enough, still usable length-wise? On some of the pictures Trem wheels looked shorter, but the pictures were taken at an angle.
Old 29 September 2018, 09:23   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> the usual suspects

ha ha

Two images below of my Aerotecs one with the Trem HD and the other OE Zodiac transom wheels.

Both are fine for height but as you can see the Zodiacs set the SIB higher from the ground. However the main choice is do you just want them to launch/retrieve or keep them on to deploy at a mid outing destination? The Zodiac types can be removed and stored upside down while under way but they look daft and can fall off if bumping and vibration shakes the bolts loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transom outer comp.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	127044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerotec transom.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	127045  
Old 29 September 2018, 09:32   #3

Thanks, really useful pictures!
Is the first photo with Trem wheels? Do these have to be at a slight angle to clear the tubes when flipping up?

I don't yet know the usage patterns with the wheels (this is my first SIB), for now I'm assuming that safely flipping the wheels up is more convenient that having to unscrew them. Time will tell.
Old 29 September 2018, 10:42   #4

The angled look is distortion due to the wide angle lens. To fit I set the transom level and then set the legs at 90deg. They missed the tubes fine.

Re the flip or no flip. I started with Zodiac bolt ons for the first few SIBs... then went to Trem flip types... then back to Zodiac... then back to Trems… and now returned to Zodiacs.

What I realised with the Trems was that we used them so little at an interim destination carrying the weight and Mickey Mouse look wasn't worth it for the convenience.... but I kept to them for that "what if" situation where we did need to pull out at a destination.

However the final swap back to the Zodiac type about two years ago was when... after persuasion by The Gurnard... I started carrying two large inflatable rollers for that "what if" time... and in those two years they've never been inflated apart from testing.

They pack away so neatly and live in the bottom of one of our dry bags.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beach roller.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	127048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rollers.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	127049  
Old 06 October 2018, 08:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
The angled look is distortion due to the wide angle lens. To fit I set the transom level and then set the legs at 90deg. They missed the tubes fine.

Re the flip or no flip. I started with Zodiac bolt ons for the first few SIBs... then went to Trem flip types... then back to Zodiac... then back to Trems… and now returned to Zodiacs.

What I realised with the Trems was that we used them so little at an interim destination carrying the weight and Mickey Mouse look wasn't worth it for the convenience.... but I kept to them for that "what if" situation where we did need to pull out at a destination.

However the final swap back to the Zodiac type about two years ago was when... after persuasion by The Gurnard... I started carrying two large inflatable rollers for that "what if" time... and in those two years they've never been inflated apart from testing.

They pack away so neatly and live in the bottom of one of our dry bags.
Ok, time to press the "buy" button on the wheels. Are these the correct Trem wheels for Aerotec?
https://www.marinescene.co.uk/produc...unching-wheels
Old 06 October 2018, 09:24   #6

Yes they are the HD type which engage with the "buttons" on the Aerotec… as fitted to my Aerotec in this thread... http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/trem-hd...tec-69303.html

Post #22 onwards.
Old 06 October 2018, 10:04   #7

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
On the battery pump look at the Itiwit one £39.99 from Decathlon. Very good I have 2 and also the Bravo Electric and I think the Itiwit is way better

Dennis
Old 06 October 2018, 10:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
On the battery pump look at the Itiwit one £39.99 from Decathlon. Very good I have 2 and also the Bravo Electric and I think the Itiwit is way better

Dennis
This should be called either witchery or mind reading!
I have been trying (in the last 30 minutes!) to see if I buy a cheap 12V battery for BP12 that came with the SIB, or sell it and get a battery-powered Bravo, or to come up with an extension to 12V cables...

For £39.99 I'll just get one and short-circuit the hassle. Thanks very much for this advice Dennis, really appreciated!
Old 06 October 2018, 10:51   #9

If buying from scratch I'd not argue against the attraction of a £40 pump vs a £100+ Bravo.... but if your Bravo otherwise works Jerry it's only £12 for a suitable generic battery and it will give you the very useful flexibility of inflation any distance from the car.... and you'd still have to get the battery on top of BPs preferred pump to achieve that.
Old 06 October 2018, 11:25   #10

The reason I like the Itiwit so much is that the Halkey Roberts adapter that comes with it works very well and connects to my valves well. The Bravo does not come with one and the one you can buy is pants. I think the Aerotec has different valves so perhaps not such a problem

It does however come with a Gigarette plug which is a bit silly. I cut this off and solder on 2 Battery Clips.
Old 06 October 2018, 11:33   #11

Oh, I misunderstood that Itwit has an integrated battery. I agree it's cheaper to just get a small battery (as luck would have it, I've thrown a suitable one away last year...). Key is being able to inflate without having to have the car next to it.
Old 06 October 2018, 12:54   #12

Jerry do you come up the A1 past Sawtry at all? I have a perfect mobility scooter battery with double the capacity of the ones most use with a Bravo. Dad took it off his scooter when still in perfect condition. There were a pair and I'm using the other for my Bravo. You are welcome to have it FOC if you were passing.
Old 06 October 2018, 13:26   #13

pm sent.
Old 07 October 2018, 17:38   #14

Great stuff, thanks to Fenlander (great guy, many thanks for the chat and for the battery!) I was able to inflate the Aerotec in the garden, convince myself that I have (after a trip to a boat yard) everything needed to prep the boat for launching.
Then came the fun part - putting this monster back in its bag. I've tried 3 times, each one yielded different packed dimensions. I think I need good few outings to practice folding the new toy to some manageable dimensions.
The best result was when I've tried to fold the tubes inwards when there was still some air left in them.
Trem wheels and some TCW3 are ordered, if everything goes to plan then the wheels will be installed this Saturday and Sunday could be my first wet trial!
Old 07 October 2018, 22:02   #15

Yep good to meet and have a chat Jerry.

Re deflation and packing. We are usually two handed when packing away but sometimes it's just me and I can still guarantee a tight pack every time.

So obviously all valves open and caps off. Floor left in. Do not pump air right out with Bravo if you use it to deflate... I don't.

NB: If you have fitted the Trems then I'd always put a square of carpet or similar padding over the brackets before I folded the cone ends onto them.

Start kneeling behind the transom and roughly roll the boat all the way up pressing on it to expel most of the air once rolled. This may seem a waste of time but is crucial to a good pack... trust me.

Then unroll it again. Start again and pull in both tubes so their width is slightly less than the transom max width at its top. Fold in the tube ends to the rear of the transom and roll the transom over onto the tubes once. Check it is heading square towards the bow and that the next section of tubes you will roll the transom onto have both sides pulled/folded in to be again just under the transom width. Roll transom over again.

Then fold about 1m of the bow back towards the transom so the last roll of the transom rolls onto this folded bit. Sit or lean on it to expel the last of the air. Lift onto bag and strap up.

If at any stage the tube material is wider than the transom roll back one fold and pull tubes in narrower.

Assuming you have the proper Aerotec bag these are actually larger than needed so if you have a good pack the straps should pull up fully with ease.

Good luck with the Sunday test... the Ouse?
Old 08 October 2018, 06:42   #16

There are a few youtube videos that show nicely how to get a good pack. I also put a piece of Bungee around the whole thing before I put it in the bag
Old 09 October 2018, 21:41   #17

I think part of my "packing experience" is that the bag is too big for the SIB (it's not a Zodiac bag), and I can't compress anything using the bag straps. Plan is to either get a few bungee cords (but these are usually too flimsy) or a short strap from Screwfix - that should hold the folded SIB together. I should get better with time!
I also got an email stating that the wheels have been sent today, so hopefully Saturday will be the fitting day. The test? I have a little place in Overcote, but if there are better suited local places for a quick trial then I'm all ears ;-)
Old 09 October 2018, 22:01   #18

Screwfix small straps ideal as you can pull them up tight and after a few mins more air will be out and you can pull them up again. Also easier to lift the pack with these straps.

I'm guessing you mean popping in opp the Pike and Eel? Ideal place for you.
Old 13 October 2018, 08:23   #19

It would have been opposite Pike and Eel if not for UKMail not delivering the goodies on time! Will try to see if I can pick it up from their depot, but AFAIR it's in Northampton...
Old 13 October 2018, 08:42   #20

Frustrating when you want to get out and test the outfit.