Old 25 July 2020, 08:26   #1

Length: 4m +
Transom fuel tank.

Good morning all. I have recently found this nicely thought out fuel tank aimed specifically at sibbers that attaches to the inside of the transom. My only negative to it is it doesn’t have a fuel float/visual gauge to show how much fuel Is on board. Does anyone have any ideas or have the same tank and have adapted a visualiser to fit. Currently it has an un-vented screw top

Many thanks.

Fitz.[emoji41]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0549.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	134369
Old 25 July 2020, 09:20   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick58 View Post
Good morning all. I have recently found this nicely thought out fuel tank aimed specifically at sibbers that attaches to the inside of the transom. My only negative to it is it doesn’t have a fuel float/visual gauge to show how much fuel Is on board. Does anyone have any ideas or have the same tank and have adapted a visualiser to fit. Currently it has an un-vented screw top

Many thanks.

Fitz.[emoji41]Attachment 134369

For some reason I can’t see the pic, but if it’s the one I’m thinking of, I’m not a fan. It puts the weight exactly where you don’t want it. At least with a separate tank you can move the weight forward if needed. Just my 2 penneth.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2020, 10:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
For some reason I can’t see the pic, but if it’s the one I’m thinking of, I’m not a fan. It puts the weight exactly where you don’t want it. At least with a separate tank you can move the weight forward if needed. Just my 2 penneth.

Good point Dave. It’s called a dinghy mate. But When you have a bow bag up front with anchor, beers and other gubbins and tiller extension that’s enough to keep my front end down. I’m not a fan of having a tank strapped down somewhere within the social space when sib space is a premium. Everyone runs their set up with what suits their needs.
Old 25 July 2020, 14:37   #4

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: N/a
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF9.9A
Only £200 inc delivery on Amazon!!
Old 25 July 2020, 14:52   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Maverick - I’ve never found portable tank gauges very good anyway - between the float falling off, the clear plastic crazing and eventually breaking, them misreading because the boat is not level, and just sticking I’ve given up on them and now use the pick up the tank and judge the weight method. If the tank is too heavy for that a dip stick is probably the most reliable.
Old 25 July 2020, 15:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Maverick - I’ve never found portable tank gauges very good anyway - between the float falling off, the clear plastic crazing and eventually breaking, them misreading because the boat is not level, and just sticking I’ve given up on them and now use the pick up the tank and judge the weight method. If the tank is too heavy for that a dip stick is probably the most reliable.

Hahaha, “picking up the tank” is the chosen method on my boat too, espesh after a skinful of beers and can’t quite focus on the gauge!!! If it feels light....just go slower!!! £200 on amazon or £20 pre-owned off gumtree, can’t complain if it keeps my boat area social and fuel safely tucked out of the way.

Cheers guys!!![emoji41]
Old 26 July 2020, 08:26   #7

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I looked at one for my sib and decided that weight at the rear really isn't a good call.

In the end I ran a longer fuel line, moved a 25l tank to the bow and secured there - worked a treat, especially when out on my own.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 08:29   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
.....that's 4 penneth (X2)
Full tank ..One up...and Head Sea you'll be lucky to see the water.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 11:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
.....that's 4 penneth (X2)
Full tank ..One up...and Head Sea you'll be lucky to see the water.

Im baffled how a simple “how to” Question of installing a fuel sight gauge into a tank has gone to giving penneths of useless info (which I am already aware of) to how to be a better boater or run my rig. I/we have crossed the Solent from Christchurch to IOW over 30 times in 4.5, 4.2 and 3.8m zodiac futura’s in varying conditions, so I guess you could say....we sort of know what we’re doing out there.
Old 26 July 2020, 12:57   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick58 View Post
Im baffled how a simple “how to” Question of installing a fuel sight gauge into a tank has gone to giving penneths of useless info (which I am already aware of) to how to be a better boater or run my rig. I/we have crossed the Solent from Christchurch to IOW over 30 times in 4.5, 4.2 and 3.8m zodiac futura’s in varying conditions, so I guess you could say....we sort of know what we’re doing out there.
NO!
Crossing the Mighty Solent! in a 4.m Zodiac!...(I had the same craft for five years...did hundreds of hours all over the South and North Coasts)
That HAS put me in my place!
I just didn't realise you possessd THAT level of Blue water Ocean going experience!

Forgive me....But From you're original Post I was under the impression you had YET TO FIT and TRIAL said....Transom/Stern mounted Fuel Tank?..and was offering, like others some WELL MEANT pre-emptive advise.
Obviously.....that was before before I knew of you're wild water SOLENT experience!
Crack on Chap!!

BE SURE to let us know how much better the performance and the improved Handling is...when you've bought fitted and trialed the new Tank
As to the "in sight" ??? fuel gauge...Totally impractical...and unnecessary.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2020, 15:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
NO!
Crossing the Mighty Solent! in a 4.m Zodiac!...(I had the same craft for five years...did hundreds of hours all over the South and North Coasts)
That HAS put me in my place!
I just didn't realise you possessd THAT level of Blue water Ocean going experience!

Forgive me....But From you're original Post I was under the impression you had YET TO FIT and TRIAL said....Transom/Stern mounted Fuel Tank?..and was offering, like others some WELL MEANT pre-emptive advise.
Obviously.....that was before before I knew of you're wild water SOLENT experience!
Crack on Chap!!

BE SURE to let us know how much better the performance and the improved Handling is...when you've bought fitted and trialed the new Tank
As to the "in sight" ??? fuel gauge...Totally impractical...and unnecessary.

Ahh mate, It’s No dramas dude, like most forums out there the subject tends to end up in a completely different area to the place it was originally intended. As for the solent in an “inflatable dinghy” we’ve been in 2 storey high swells in the middle of the run as the tide is heading out and definately NOT for the faint hearted, but that’s testament to how good those futuras are as you already know.

I’m Yet to test the new tank as summer seems to have done one recently.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	134410