Old 24 June 2009, 22:39   #1

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Lou-Lou
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Merc 9.9
The Lakes

Hi,we are going to the lakes for our summer holidays and are staying at Keswick, i have looked on Boatlaunch for sites to launch our SIB info on there looks good just wondered if anyone on here has launched on other lakes nearby?
We went to coniston in may and had a fab time,just this time want to go further afield,any recommenations folks?

Cheers Pete
Old 25 June 2009, 06:49   #2

Length: no boat
there is a camping and caravan site by the lake in keswick can't remember its name but if you look on the camping and caravan website you will find it. That is right by the lake and you can launch boats from it, think they charge each time not sure. The site is ok, i went in april last year and because it was freezing it was just mainly caravans, but this time of year there should be a good mix. The facilities were fine and 2 minute walk into keswick town centre.
Old 25 June 2009, 12:39   #3

Town: Crawley
Boat name: BerryBuoys
Make: BananaShark
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 EFi
MMSI: 235068187
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
Hi,we are going to the lakes for our summer holidays and are staying at Keswick, i have looked on Boatlaunch for sites to launch our SIB info on there looks good just wondered if anyone on here has launched on other lakes nearby?
We went to coniston in may and had a fab time,just this time want to go further afield,any recommenations folks?

Cheers Pete
Going back a few years now, but we stayed at a campsite on the shore of Ullswater, and it was beautiful. The site we were at is on the eastern shore, just south of Pooley Bridge; we could launch inflatables directly from the campsite, and it's a nice big lake to explore. No idea whether you can launch from there as a non-resident, but the lake itself is well worth the visit.

I believe there is a 10mph speed limit.

HtH, have a nice time

Ian
Old 25 June 2009, 17:24   #4

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Another vote for Ullswater here

There is a good slip here:

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/default....redfilterid=10

Cheers

Chris
Old 25 June 2009, 18:51   #5

Town: Shrewsbury
Boat name: Pepsea
Make: Tohatsu 6.6m
Engine: Mariner 150
The lakes

HI,

I WAS BROUGHT UP IN THE LAKES AND LIVED IN WINDERMERE FOR 25YRS, MOST LAKES ARE GREAT FUN WITH A SIB AND HAVE GOOD LAUNCHING FACILITIES. CONISTON IS MY FAVORITE WITH A SIB AS THERE IS A NICE CAFE AT THE SLIP CALLED 'BLUEBIRD' AS PREVIOUSLY COMMENTED ULLSWATER IS NICE HOWEVER THAT SAID WINDERMER HAS MORE TO DO, USE YOUR SIB TO TRUNDDLE DOWN THE LAKE TO SOME OF THE LOVELY LAKESIDE HOTELS ALL HAVE JETTIES AND SERVE GOOD FOOD AND BEER OR VIEW BOWNESS FROM THE WATER, PICNIC ON AN ISLAND ETC. I STILL REGULARY WATERSKI ON WINDERMERE LAST WEEKEND WAS THE LAST TIME AND PROVIDING YOU GET THE WEATHER IT IS STUNNING.

PM me if you would like some info on windermere or its watering holes
Old 26 June 2009, 11:38   #6

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
do you still have to regester the boat as you did years ago and have to put those big stupid stickers with the numbers on the sides of the hull,or has it changed now
Old 26 June 2009, 12:11   #7

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
do you still have to regester the boat as you did years ago and have to put those big stupid stickers with the numbers on the sides of the hull,or has it changed now
No, I think that is still the case for Windermere.

You have to pay for:

Boat registration: £10 (with two forms of ID)
Set of numbers: £5
Launch powered craft up to 11 metres length: £10.00
Park car and trailer up to 24 Hours - £7.00

When we enquired at Ferry Nab, the staff just weren't interested at all, so we didn't bother with Windermere.

Cheers

Chris
Old 26 June 2009, 17:48   #8

Windermere registration

NO LONGER !!! On Windermere - Providing you are displaying 6 inch high SSR numbers (white on a black background) there is NO need to register any more , this is absolutly fact

Jetski
Old 26 June 2009, 17:52   #9

Windermere registration

Forgot to say most people have them on a piece of black plastic cable tied to the side. Mine have SSR number on one side and Loch Lomond Numbers on the other and I just display whats needed
Old 26 June 2009, 19:41   #10

Many thanks for info,we did do ullswater last year for a weekend,launched at park foot that cost a fiver for the day.
The info on windermere is just what we are after,the registration part did put us off,but now knowing whats involved re SSR i will look down that route,found the web link to the application and will persue.

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/ukr-hom...smallships.htm

Here is a quick 30 second vid to our conistion trip.

Thanks again for the advice folks.
Old 18 August 2009, 21:15   #11
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Pete - I've just watched your little video as research for a forthcoming few days at Coniston. Don't want to preach - but:

1. You don't have the kill cord connected
2. You were letting go of the tiller - whilst this nicely proved that the engine was balanced etc - you didn't have control and hitting an unseen submerged object (e.g. branch) could have cause a sudden violent turn. Obviously your throttle tension is set so it doesn't spring back to tick over either.

If you don't understand the implications of this please search the forum.
Old 18 August 2009, 22:52   #12

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
lakes

Hi there, just wanted to throw my two'peneth in.
I launched from Keswick last week and Ullswater the two weekends before. Both were great.

At Keswick we launched from the public slip behind the theatre. Costs just £5 and you leave your car & trailer there on the shingle beach. Just follow the signs for the theatre on the lake, on approach to theatre DONT enter car park on left but bear right where signs show red roundel for no cars, access only. 1/4 mile road opens up and on right is a cabin selling sweets etc. Tihis is where you purchase your launch ticket. They will tell you where to go/launch. No closing time etc

At Ullswater we stayed on the Waterside house farm campsite on eastern shore, they have their own free launch but you should ring and see if you can pay as a non resident. The great thing about this site is close toilets, shop and snack bar selling hot food and drinks.

Next door so to speak is park foot campsite, They definately allow non residents to launch and park for about £3 . Just have to go to reception first.

Glenridding also has a good launch i believe, but cant comment too much.

If you need any further advice about these then let me know.

best wishes

Jake
Old 18 August 2009, 23:01   #13

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Registering

No jetski you are wrong! You DO have to register your boat on Windermere, it costs £10 per year (but if you register now it still only runs to the end of the year!) plus a one-off fee of a fiver for the numbers.
If you can get your boat into the water without a trailer, it's free to launch as often as you want. If you have to take your trailer down the slipway they charge you £10 for each launch.
Old 18 August 2009, 23:39   #14

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
No jetski you are wrong! You DO have to register your boat on Windermere, it costs £10 per year (but if you register now it still only runs to the end of the year!) plus a one-off fee of a fiver for the numbers.
If you can get your boat into the water without a trailer, it's free to launch as often as you want. If you have to take your trailer down the slipway they charge you £10 for each launch.

Does your boat display SSR numbers?
Old 19 August 2009, 07:14   #15

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Winderemere

I was there on Saturday for the first time. I had to fill in the boat registration form and they gave me a registration number, with large stick-on numbers to put on the boat.
However the guy said that I would be better off putting them on a board and tying that onto the boat, as they would not survive inflation/deflation etc. He said to just "keep them with me" and put them on "next time" so that's what I did.
Old 20 August 2009, 16:49   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Pete - I've just watched your little video as research for a forthcoming few days at Coniston. Don't want to preach - but:

1. You don't have the kill cord connected
2. You were letting go of the tiller - whilst this nicely proved that the engine was balanced etc - you didn't have control and hitting an unseen submerged object (e.g. branch) could have cause a sudden violent turn. Obviously your throttle tension is set so it doesn't spring back to tick over either.

If you don't understand the implications of this please search the forum.
Yes i now do understand what i was doing wrong,i have learnt from my mistakes and will stay on the safety side of things,thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.
Cheers.
Old 20 August 2009, 16:55   #17

|I am at keswick Camping and caravaning site as i type,the rain has just stopped and only managed to get out once on the lake since sat,thanks for the info on launching by the theatre,might walk over there later on to see what the launch is like,on this site its pretty good,pay a fee of £3 a day launch or £14 for the week,also thanks for the info on windermere Lightning,hope to get over there within the next week or so.

Pete
Old 31 August 2009, 18:22   #18

Town: Manchester
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Engine: n/a
I'm a bit confused (nothing new there then) about speed limits in The Lakes. I believe Windermere has a 10 mph (kt ?) limit. Are there any lakes in the North of England where you can use a boat without a very restrictive speed limit?
Old 31 August 2009, 18:31   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beard View Post
Are there any lakes in the North of England where you can use a boat without a very restrictive speed limit?
No
Old 31 August 2009, 22:44   #20
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Interesting thread. I've spent many hours sat by every lake in the district waiting for the right light so I could get a good photo. Now I wants me a decent SIB so I can explore some of the Jetties.