Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
Yes the affordability of the sib is a big plus for me and not having to buy and store a trailer would be another bonus.
I also like that they sit lower in the water and the smother ride in the chop would be appreciated.
I could hook trailer winch to the dock cleat maybe and the washing up liquid would be a good idea.
They are jet ski docs and think theres a little roller at the end of them.
Good to know the pressure isn't going to be a problem and something i can get a feel for over time.
Im not sure what you mean about the pressure relief valve , how do they all go down if they're separate chambers?
The pressure relief valve is set to blow at the working pressure you fill all compartments in stages to keep the baffles from over stressing for the final pressure the bow one first because it fills totally the other compartments fill up to it so they never get to maximum volume hence relief on all compartments in other words each compartment is part of the next because it's domed inside the other
Old 16 December 2019, 08:16   #22

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
In the very noddy sketch attached I've shown a three compartment SIB / RIB tube.

The pressure relief valve is in the bow compartment.

In the left hand pic, the pressure in the bow compartment is higher than the rest and once it goes over the pressure that the relief valve operates, the bow compartment will relieve itself through the pressure relief valve (PRV).

The middle pic shows the situation when the pressure is the same in all three compt's. This is the standard operating mode.

The right pic is what happens if the aft compartments have a higher pressure than the forward ones. As the baffle inverts, it increases the pressure in the forward compartment which will cause the PRV to operate.

The baffle basically acts as a regulator although you are limited to the amount of pressure equalisation by the size of the baffle but in normal use, it should be enough. It's a cost saving measure over having PRV's in each compartment but it does work quite effectively.

I was going to title this 'a picture tells a thousand words' but I've now written more than jeff and I've drawn a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baffle.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	131757  
Old 16 December 2019, 08:22   #23

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
In the very noddy sketch attached I've shown a three compartment SIB / RIB tube.

In the left hand pic, the pressure in the bow compartment is higher than the rest and once it goes over the pressure that the relief valve operates, the bow compartment will relieve itself through the pressure relief valve (PRV).

The middle pic shows the situation when the pressure is the same in all three compt's. This is the standard operating mode.

The right pic is what happens if the aft compartments have a higher pressure than the forward ones. As the baffle inverts, it increases the pressure in the forward compartment which will cause the PRV to operate.

The baffle basically acts as a regulator although you are limited to the amount of pressure equalisation by the size of the baffle but in normal use, it should be enough. It's a cost saving measure over having PRV's in each compartment but it does work quite effectively.

I was going to title this 'a picture tells a thousand words' but I've now written more than jeff and I've drawn a picture.
Old 16 December 2019, 10:32   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
To prevent the tube material going sticky and glue failure due to weather/sunlight/temp extremes exposure you'd need a full cover with a tented arrangement so it sheds water.

To prevent overpressure on hot days you'd need to partially deflate every time the boat was left. This would make it even more important to have an arrangement so the transom is supported by the dock to then support the OB weight.

Having watched these jet ski docks in action they seem to operate on brute force and power to get the ski on and also the weight of a ski to push the rear of the dock down so the initial step isn't too big. A lightweight 3.2m Honwave could not be driven up in the same way. In fact that particular dock seems to have an above average step to climb and I'd worry it may tend to try and invert the V floor as it climbs the dock.

If I wanted to use a SIB around 3m I'd just chill re assembly/inflation and make use of their greatest attribute... easy packed storage at home and transport in the car.

If I wanted to use that dock I'd buy one of these...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ile/1327548668

Rugged for driving on the dock, can stay out all year, double skinned with buoyancy compartments, excellent performance with a 15hp motor.
Old 16 December 2019, 21:08   #25

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

Really you need one of these https://www.yamaha-waverunner.co/product/2020-fx-svho/
Old 17 December 2019, 16:41   #26

Town: Eastbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
To prevent the tube material going sticky and glue failure due to weather/sunlight/temp extremes exposure you'd need a full cover with a tented arrangement so it sheds water.

To prevent overpressure on hot days you'd need to partially deflate every time the boat was left. This would make it even more important to have an arrangement so the transom is supported by the dock to then support the OB weight.

Having watched these jet ski docks in action they seem to operate on brute force and power to get the ski on and also the weight of a ski to push the rear of the dock down so the initial step isn't too big. A lightweight 3.2m Honwave could not be driven up in the same way. In fact that particular dock seems to have an above average step to climb and I'd worry it may tend to try and invert the V floor as it climbs the dock.

If I wanted to use a SIB around 3m I'd just chill re assembly/inflation and make use of their greatest attribute... easy packed storage at home and transport in the car.

Rugged for driving on the dock, can stay out all year, double skinned with buoyancy compartments, excellent performance with a 15hp motor.
How much to get that re tubed ...

The plan is to get something bigger to warrant the doc cost, so either 4m rib or sib.
Unfortunately i never really get much chill time and can walk to the doc in a few minutes from home, so would make going out for a couple of hours very achievable.
Old 17 December 2019, 16:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Im not cool enough for one of these anymore!!!
Old 17 December 2019, 16:44   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post

That makes sense now
Old 18 December 2019, 17:45   #29

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
How much to get that re tubed ...

The plan is to get something bigger to warrant the doc cost, so either 4m rib or sib.
Unfortunately i never really get much chill time and can walk to the doc in a few minutes from home, so would make going out for a couple of hours very achievable.
If the plan is to go bigger than your current boat then the bigger you go the stronger the argument gets for going Rib. If you look at the picture you posted of the rnli boarding boat which will be 4.9m you can see how the weight of the engine has the tubes bent down at the stern.your current boat will likely sit fully on the dock & engine could probably rest on the dock or a chock but if you go larger then you may be getting to a situation like that rnli boat which would be best avoided. You'd need to get your tape out and measure before you commit to a larger sib to avoid it sitting deformed like the boarding boat
Old 18 December 2019, 18:35   #30

RIBase
More low tube pressure I think the tubes are wrinkled and the dock digging in on the jet sky rails, but I agree you don't want the boat over hanging too far
Old 18 December 2019, 19:25   #31

Im sure this would get on the doc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEABREACH...sAAOSwzp1d6SJU
Old 24 December 2019, 19:00   #32

Town: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Boat name: Bella
Make: Honwave
Engine: Outboard 15hp
RIBase
Sibs are great fun. Depends on what you're after.

I bought a honwave T38 airdeck and it's great because I can store it in the boot of my car or a little erde trailer. I dont have. Anywhere for a rib but I'll be keeping my honwave for a few years.

Pros and cons to both. Depends on your personal choice and what you want out of it.

I use mine to explour, go out to sea, go up rivers and enter small exotic beaches to which you couldn't access with a rib unless anchoring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_584354699044057.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	131774

Tags
sib