Boat name: Hudson
Make: Ribeye Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Small tenders

< Edit: Split from this thread JK >

Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
Ah! Yes. Thank you. I'm pleased to see you appreciate the finer points of design aesthetics.
The veranda's sorted, just make the dinghy (see pic) fast right alongside the sitting room. It does lack some shade at the moment. Perhaps I'll make a 'bimini' for it. Then it'll be just the place to enjoy tiffin.
Sorry to hijack a bit but I've been looking for a neat small dinghy and that looks just the thing. What (size / make) is it?

Ta
Old 25 April 2008, 15:00   #2

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
Sorry to hijack a bit but I've been looking for a neat small dinghy and that looks just the thing. What (size / make) is it?

Ta
It's an XM 180. I've just looked on their website and they don't seem to supply it any more. It is very small and though it's ok with two people aboard, getting them into it is something of an art. It's very well made out of heavy weight material - polyurethane, I think - but it's only the size of a beach toy and if you don't take care to balance it when boarding, it will tip you out in a flash. Once aboard and settled it feels fine and I'm pleased with it. However, I'm always very aware that I'm sitting in a very small boat.

There's no comparison between a 1.8m boat and, say, an Avon Redstart at 2.50m. and I don't think I'd recommend the XM 180 to anyone not experienced with small inflatables.
Old 25 April 2008, 23:05   #3

Town: Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
It's an XM 180. I've just looked on their website and they don't seem to supply it any more. It is very small and though it's ok with two people aboard, getting them into it is something of an art. It's very well made out of heavy weight material - polyurethane, I think - but it's only the size of a beach toy and if you don't take care to balance it when boarding, it will tip you out in a flash. Once aboard and settled it feels fine and I'm pleased with it. However, I'm always very aware that I'm sitting in a very small boat.

There's no comparison between a 1.8m boat and, say, an Avon Redstart at 2.50m. and I don't think I'd recommend the XM 180 to anyone not experienced with small inflatables.
Thanks for the info - looked good from the construction point of view but perhaps it is a bit too small. It's a bit of a challenge to find something well made vs light enough vs adequate load carrying. Clearly basically incompatible objectives.
Old 26 April 2008, 11:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
Thanks for the info - looked good from the construction point of view but perhaps it is a bit too small. It's a bit of a challenge to find something well made vs light enough vs adequate load carrying. Clearly basically incompatible objectives.
Yes. Just looked at a few sites. Plastimo do the 1.8m one now. My XM is almost the same weight as my Avon Redstart (around 16kg) and takes up about as much space when deflated. I've been tempted to take the Redstart at times, but I don't think it will fit aboard when inflated.

Bought the Redstart off eBay, excellent condition, unpatched, for around £300.00. They're less popular than the Redcrest, being smaller, but they are 'proper' boats.
Old 26 April 2008, 13:53   #5

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Richard I picked up a a Achilles off Ebay for £100 & very pleased with it! Folds up really small light weight at 17kg it can even take a outboard & it is made of Hypalon!
http://www.achillesinflatables.com/m...ge=product.cfm

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nicks boat 006.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	34332  
Old 26 April 2008, 14:04   #6

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Here are some neat little mini inflatables designed for backpacking which weigh from about 2 1/2 kg to 4 kg, depending on the model. Apparently they are quite durable for their intended use.

https://www.alpackaraft.com/store/in...yID=53&do=list

how it inflates;

[YOUTUBE]duIIaaKo9n8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

...in use;

[YOUTUBE]IDwVyK4Zz-s&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

...this is pretty crazy;

[YOUTUBE]5pvMIXSTnNY[/YOUTUBE]

...and this one is completely insane;

[YOUTUBE]C8gqNCAqUAw[/YOUTUBE]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9_alpackaraft-65.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	34333   Click image for larger version

Name:	12_alpackaraft-92.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	34334  
Attached Images

Old 26 April 2008, 21:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Richard I picked up a a Achilles off Ebay for £100 & very pleased with it! Folds up really small light weight at 17kg it can even take a outboard & it is made of Hypalon!

Nick
That looks just the job to me, a good length too.

The trouble with the very lightweight 'rafts' is that they are just that - rafts. A safe tender needs good strong rowing gear with oars of a decent length, and the lightweight ones I've seen (not many) are seriously lacking in that department. That's why people get 'swept' out to sea off beaches in cheap lightweight inflatable 'boats', and can't get back. (Well. one reason anyway)

Anyway - you could put a bimini on the Achilles. It would look silly on those backpacking rafts.
:-)
Old 26 April 2008, 21:32   #8

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I ended up buying the 2.3m version of the XM tender. It is more RIB shaped as I wanted to use my aux on it and needed a transom. Haven't used it in the water yet but in the living room it was fine and looked sturdy enough. Came with oars and pump/repair kit for around £250.00.
Old 28 April 2008, 08:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Here are some neat little mini inflatables designed for backpacking which weigh from about 2 1/2 kg to 4 kg, depending on the model. Apparently they are quite durable for their intended use.
As a canoeist too, this had me in fits - absolutely brilliant. And my first reaction was 'I have to get me one of those - just for the craic' but then I had a look at the website $775 for the boat plus $200 for a spraydeck! Maybe I'll have to wait for a bit.

Not really much good as a tender as it's a bit tight for 2 or 3 but thanks for posting - I'll pass this onto a few friends.
Old 28 April 2008, 08:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post

Nick
Thanks Nick - this looks very promising, good weight, robust. I'll have a look.