Old 06 July 2016, 21:25   #1

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
SIBing in Devon

Off to spend a few days in East Dartmoor in August. Will have a few days spare at the beginning so looking for somewhere within about an hour to stay.

Plan is to rent somewhere for 3 nights and ideally have a slip within easy reach. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 06 July 2016, 22:49   #2

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
A couple of ideas:

Teignmouth/Shaldon to stay Polly Steps (Teign Estuary) for the free concrete slip. Slip is usable at most stages of tide just not quite at bottom, allow an hour each side of low to be safe. From there you can take the SIB to the Exe estuary one way or Torbay (I prefer this) the other way, catch yourself some mackerel or stop off for refreshments in Babbacombe 'Cary Arms'

Totnes to stay/Totnes for slip - Max.. and others might know more about this, Totnes at top end of River Dart (speed limit 6 knots from memory) which will take you down to Dartmouth by way of some nice stop offs and pubs(Dittisham). Slip is definitely not usable at low water - an hour each side - I can tell you first hand (muddy hand)

Can't help you much with accommodation, my cousin works in the caravan industry so if that suits I could provide some pointers there, plenty of BnB's to choose from but book early

Both slips have adjacent car parks, arrive early as they are popular due to free slip. Worth a mention is Brixham which has a very expensive car park and a paying slip, you can put in here and either go into Torbay or towards Dartmouth

The Exe and Teign estuary are fast moving rivers, so caution there, the Exe has a sandbar with breaking waves at it's channel entrance for deeper keeled boats. I only got so far with my exploring in that area, chickened out/wisely said enough when I found the sand bars. Locals cut across so it's doable but research first. I've heard of quite a few incidents without too much detail in the areas I've mentioned too, as with any sea going please take care. Not wanting to put you off it's a beautiful part of the world

Hope that's a good start
Old 07 July 2016, 06:42   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
The locals will advise more but we visit Dittisham, stay in a cottage there and launch either at the water's edge car park in town or the FBI pontoon or there is a slip at Blackwater Marine (chargeable) or better is the free public slip in Dartmouth by the upper ferry with parking/trailer storage if required at the adjacent park. All I can say is it's SIBbing heaven - truly beautiful area and SIB's can stay for free at visitors moorings at lot of places.
Old 07 July 2016, 10:36   #4

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
My good friend has this house Dittisham is the place to be, The Old Brewhouse is the place to stay. next door to the pub in Dittisham lovey place but may well be booked! Perfect for sibbing on the Dart

I have this little gem in Salcombe, but we are all booked up!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Vacati...n_England.html
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 July 2016, 11:21   #5

Cheers chaps... have created a shortlist, in fact copied below, in case anyone local has any other recommends. We'll be there Sunday 7th - Tuesday 9th so only 2 nights. I reckon AirBnB might be the way forward... we're 4, 2 adults and 2 kids...

Are the river/estuary entries tricky in all but perfect conditions?

About Elberry Farm B&B Holiday Accommodation in Paignton Torbay - The English Riviera

Room 9 - Large Family Bedroom or Spacious Double Room en-suite - Thornhill Bed & Breakfast Teignmouth

Pinn Barton Farm Bed and Breakfast

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/95259...s=4&s=BXoPAXq9

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/12039...s=4&s=4CAs_XU0

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/63710...s=4&s=GNQ0zicG

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/57923...s=4&s=6KccEGAu
Old 07 July 2016, 11:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
My good friend has this house Dittisham is the place to be, The Old Brewhouse is the place to stay. next door to the pub in Dittisham lovey place but may well be booked! Perfect for sibbing on the Dart

I have this little gem in Salcombe, but we are all booked up!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Vacati...n_England.html
Both look lovely - I've pinged the guys in Dittisham but I reckon they'll be a week minimum stay.

Thanks
Old 07 July 2016, 16:25   #7

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
North Devon? My locality. To be honest south devon is more sib friendly and the river dart is lovely. I am working there at the moment, my site office is overlooking the river just downstream of the higher ferry. River looking good, wish I was out on it right now instead of catching up on paperwork!
Old 07 July 2016, 20:57   #8

Town: South Brent
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Totnes would be a good base. I live a few miles away, so you could call me a "local" i suppose!

The river Dart is lovely, plenty of pubs along the way for a pint and some lunch. Aprox 10 miles down to Dartmouth, with The Malsters Arms at Tuckenhay, Bow Creek, Stoke Gabriel, Ferryboat inn at Dittisham, then onto Dartmouth and beyond if the weather is good. Totnes has plenty of restaurants, pubs, shops etc. I use the slipway at Longmarsh, pay and display car park. £6 for the day. Slip is free and usable at most states of tide. Like mentioned above, best about an hour either side.