Old 09 August 2010, 15:13   #1
CJS

Town: Warsash
Make: Honwave T 3.8 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 20 HP
Sibbing in Pembrokeshire

Just come back from a Camping/ Sibbing trip in Pembrokeshire. While unpacking the camping gear from my precious boat I discovered that the side had been slightly chaffed by an item of damned camping gear even though I believed that I had packed it carefully. Thankfully it hadn’t punctured but as you can imagine I spent the rest of the holiday cursing, poking and inspecting it.
The problem is every time I get near the boat now my eye fixates upon it and I get really angry about it (I know, I know it’s a small fry issue in the scheme of things) - I really don’t want to patch it and wondered if I could somehow touch it in with a paint/ dye/ glue of some sort – any ideas?

Anyway in regards to the trip, I took the boat down to the launch at Porthclais- a tidal river mouth. It was low tide and I had to haul the trailer down the dry river and over a couple of sandbars helped at one point by a couple whose Rib was left in a puddle on the outgoing tide.

From there I headed out to Ramsay Island. There are some fantastic sea cliffs, sea caves and narrow channels, it is also known for a tidal race called “The Bitches”. The boat handled well with 3 up and a strong tidal surge, but there were some rather buttock clenching moments when the swell became a lot bigger than it first looked and a lot more turbulent. In the distance it vaguely reminded me of one of those coral surf breaks that one sees in the tropics.

I got everybody to sit themselves inside the boat and used some power boat tacking to get through the turbulent section – ye ha! I have to say folks for a small boat these Honwave’s are the dogs b**loks - it handled superbly and my faithful Honda 20 had plenty horse for the occasion.

Another good trip I did was from Porthgain up to Strumble Point – it was one of those days when the weather/ sea, was rather intimidating and I was on my own. The tide was going out and I experienced fair turbulence on the headlands. I went about exploring the coves, secluded beaches and sea stacks looking for seals or dolphins but alas not one. The ride home was great as the boat blasted over a building swell requiring some interesting tactics entering the harbour as the swell hit starboard on.

Porthgain is a better launch spot than Porthclais (and is free), although the ramp down is somewhat steep if you don’t like reversing trailers. Overall a good trip, the campsite at Tretio was also great and as the owner had a RIB himself they have all the facilities (including brushes) for cleaning/ flushing the boat out.
Old 09 August 2010, 15:25   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS View Post
Just come back from a Camping/ Sibbing trip in Pembrokeshire. While unpacking the camping gear from my precious boat I discovered that the side had been slightly chaffed by an item of damned camping gear even though I believed that I had packed it carefully. Thankfully it hadn’t punctured but as you can imagine I spent the rest of the holiday cursing, poking and inspecting it.
The problem is every time I get near the boat now my eye fixates upon it and I get really angry about it (I know, I know it’s a small fry issue in the scheme of things) - I really don’t want to patch it and wondered if I could somehow touch it in with a paint/ dye/ glue of some sort – any ideas?
post a picture and someone may have suggestions. It may be possible to put a patch (or is there not an accessory like a VHF holding pocket, or a PVC handle that you've "always" wanted just there - possibly with a matching one on opposite side?
Old 09 August 2010, 16:37   #3

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Never mind a picture of the scratch , post a pic of yourself and gallant crew !

A 3M sib , on it's own near the Bitches ! There are some very serious currents and some even more serious rocks in them there waters ( at least 10 knots to my certain knowledge and probably more ! ) . I tread very carefully around there in 5.85M Ribcraft with an auxillary never mind a SIB . Perhaps I'm just a wimp ! Please mind how you go ! Wonderful scenery & wildlife , but highly worthy of some respect....... Regards Bern