Old 18 March 2010, 13:08   #1

Town: Bury
Boat name: O' ALCHEMY
Make: Honwave 3.8 IE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp 4 stroke
MMSI: 235905781
Sibbing in Cornwall - advice needed

Hi there all, can anyone help with some advice / info on sibbing in cornwall. Me and the family (wife/2 kids) are planning our summer trip to Cornwall and would appreciate some help.
We are staying in St Ives (Carbis Bay) and after looking at boatlaunch etc have selected a couple of possible trips.

1, We would like to launch from St Ives but don't want to walk miles to the sea so we shall have to launch in the afternoon the week we are going. Any advice on parking car/trailer. From our previous trips (life before sib) I seem to remember that parking round there, especially near the Sloop Inn, isn't that great.

2, We would also like to take a trip to Mounts bay, Possibly launching near penzance. Can anyone recommend a good place to launch, again with good parking access. Also, Is it possible to sail upto St Micheal's mount and moor up in the little harbour there while we go and get a bite to eat.

Are the villages on the bay OK for visiting such as Mousehole? Perhaps someone can suggest a good itinery for a fab day out?

Thanks in advance

Jake
Old 18 March 2010, 13:32   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake 4589 View Post
Hi there all, can anyone help with some advice / info on sibbing in cornwall. Me and the family (wife/2 kids) are planning our summer trip to Cornwall and would appreciate some help.
We are staying in St Ives (Carbis Bay) and after looking at boatlaunch etc have selected a couple of possible trips.

1, We would like to launch from St Ives but don't want to walk miles to the sea so we shall have to launch in the afternoon the week we are going. Any advice on parking car/trailer. From our previous trips (life before sib) I seem to remember that parking round there, especially near the Sloop Inn, isn't that great.

2, We would also like to take a trip to Mounts bay, Possibly launching near penzance. Can anyone recommend a good place to launch, again with good parking access. Also, Is it possible to sail upto St Micheal's mount and moor up in the little harbour there while we go and get a bite to eat.

Are the villages on the bay OK for visiting such as Mousehole? Perhaps someone can suggest a good itinery for a fab day out?

Thanks in advance

Jake
Jake, my first thoughts for this area are the tides so please be ware of them. In relation to Mounts bay I have windsurfed here many times and there is a slip at Marizion with car park close by. This is a very busy tourist area with the walk way and ferry to the Mount. Mooring in the Mount Harbour is tight but with permission and fees I think you are OK, again tides could leave you high and dry. I have also sailed North Coast and St Ives has the added problem of traffic and parking so I would wait for a local to help you. Great area, also try River Helford and all around Falmouth, which is a cracking harbour and rivers to explore with pubs etc
Old 20 March 2010, 20:33   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Hi Jake.
St. Ives would be ok for sibbing as long as you don't have massive surf rolling in there. Launching out of the harbour is very tidal. Sticky or Shaggy (Ribnet members) are based in Hayle, which is just across the bay. Contact them for tips.
Falmouth is my manor, give me a shout if you're planning on coming this way.
Old 20 March 2010, 20:47   #4

Town: bristol
Boat name: astra
Make: zodiac 340s
Engine: 15hp mariner
MMSI: 235905847
Have you already booked, I was recommended by a ribnet user to go to pentewan camping park we are going there the last week in august, it's been a absolute wicked place for the sib with its own private beach and slipway i would recommend this place 100 percent, hope this is of some use for you.
Old 20 March 2010, 21:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Have you already booked, I was recommended by a ribnet user to go to pentewan camping park we are going there the last week in august, it's been a absolute wicked place for the sib with its own private beach and slipway i would recommend this place 100 percent, hope this is of some use for you.
Only if you're planning on camping. Otherwise, the Fal area has more to offer IMV.
Old 22 March 2010, 18:22   #6

Hi Guys and thanks for the replies. Sorry I haven't replied straight away but been away this weekend.
After further investigation, my plan of sailing around Mounts bay and visiting the Mount by boat may have to wait Til another visit. Unfortunately it looks like the Tide times the week I'm there will be against me. Having said that the people at the mount were very friendly and helpful and welcome visitors by Boat. The only problem was that things wind down there from 3 pm onwards so you really need to be able to go morning - noon time.

As for the camping we booked last year, staying at Little Trevarrack at Carbis bay. Have stayed there before, superb site, top notch.

We will certainly look at the one near Megavissey.

So this leaves Falmouth, How long would it take me to drive (with the boat/trailer) from St. Ives to Falmouth? Where is the best place to launch etc. Parking ? Places to visit?

Once again thanks

Jake
Old 22 March 2010, 18:27   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
St Ives to Falmouth with a tow, allow an hour to one and a half , there is a marina right in the centre of Falmouth with a public slipway which I will find for you and also another further up river with a marina slip. The only issue for the public slip is not to drive through the town as it is now restricted access.

Here is public slip
Slipway information:

Name: Falmouth Harbour Commissioners.
Phone Number: 01326 312285
Fax Number: 01326 211352
Email: Send Email....

Ramp Description: Very large slip with a gentle slope. Wide enough to launch perhaps six or seven boats at once although it only has a small tie-up docking pontoon to the left hand side. The slip is concrete and the supervisors will help if required. In general, the Supervisors were extremely helpful, cheerful and friendly
Directions: Entering Falmouth, follow the signs for the main DOCKS area. This will take you around the back of Falmouth town. Falmouth is composed of small streets and pedestrian areas which are inadvisable with a boat and trailer. Once at the dock entrance, take the road back towards town for approximately 1/3rd. mile. Go past mini roundabout and look for the entrance on your right after 100yds. If you see Trago Mills, you've gone past it. In front there is a dinghy storage compound and the gate is just prior to this. Once in, go straight forward to the Supervisors cabin which juts out from the end of the building on your left.
Ramp Type: Full tidal range. Concrete upper and lower. Plenty of space to launch just about anything easily.
Upper Area: Concrete
Lower Area: Concrete
Suitability: Large trailer needs a car
Ramp Length: All of tidal range
Facilities: There are toilets and some room for temporary storage of trailers. Parking trailers costs £5 up to 12 hours and £9 up to 24 hours. Trailer parking for more than 24 hours, if available, will be charged at £9 per day.
Charges: Launch/recovery is £10 per day.
Trailer storage, if available,is £5 for 12 hours or £9 for 24.
Once launched, it is advisable to moor up in the yacht haven across to the east of the harbour. This is gated and secure with toilets and showers and is run by the same company. Mooring fees apply.
There is a petrol/diesel pontoon on the Yacht Haven with unleaded at £1.67 per litre!

The other location I think is where they run the Park and ride from the marina on B3292 Falmouth Road on the roundabout at the bottom of the hill A39 junction but I cant recal the marina name, This is more tidal upriver so would suggest the main one at the end of town. Hope this helps, but best locals on here will give you better locations?
Old 22 March 2010, 19:26   #8

Thanks Ian, Looks like we might be making a trip or two across to Falmouth this August.
Perhaps mollers can help with some good Pubs to Eat and have a quick pint. Also are there any nice fishing villages that are within easy reach that we could visit with the sib.
Best wishes
Jake
Old 22 March 2010, 19:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake 4589 View Post
Perhaps mollers can help with some good Pubs to Eat and have a quick pint.
Oh nooo.

Multiple, medium paced pints perhaps.
Old 22 March 2010, 22:50   #10

Pray Do tell Mollers
Old 31 May 2010, 21:50   #11

Had a few medium paced pints in St. Mawes this pm, with Bedajim. Weather turned out better than forecast. 1st trip of the season with 'Hey Joe'.