Old 10 May 2017, 11:53   #1

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
sibbing at ERR

thought i would share my trip following the flotilla on saturday 29th april easedale to ballachulish.
i,ve done a few of theses now mostly in my rib but i must say i never enjoyed it as much as this trip in my SIB.
pics of the route & my rig sorry about the quality of the route pic.
i didn't take any pics on the day i was too focused on the boat handling and any chance of a rest in the calmer sections i just sat and enjoyed the view.

well the weather had done for us again this year but tony had a route to suit the conditions [force 5-6 SSE] i had a word with him the day before re me coming along in the SIB i was up for it and he agreed there was enough lee shore to get behind to protect me and if the worst happened he would pick me up on the way back so that was it i knew there would be some rough stuff but i know my limitations and the boats so not adverse to turning around and heading home, the first bit i love anyway so going back through clachan sound was no problem.
so off we set 90.30-09.45 ish i was in the middle of the pack going towards cuan sound well i say pack it was like a washing machine as each rib past i got their wake from all angles as i tried to keep a straight course, so i stopped and waited till all went past except the ceasar surfcat which went past later like an angry wasp dont know what speed he was doing but at 16 knots i thought i was moored up great little boat.
so through cuan sound with the tide 25 knots one of the RIBS came back to check on me [ thanks Ewan] but i was fine and off we went between seil & torsa hitting 21 knots i caught up with the RIBS just at the bottom of clachan sound,nice slow pace up the sound just before the bridge i noticed 3-4 large waves caused by the RIBS wakes very close together i knew i was going to get wet so here we go over the first stuffed into the second over the rest up to the bridge sorted carried on out into the firth of lorne past eilean duin set course for bach island bit rough but on the plane [12 knots] past bach isle onto eilean musdile, approaching the lighthouse it got very rough by the time i got there wind against tide but heading for the light i was at 45 degrees or thereabouts to the waves so with a bit of careful helming i got on and off the plane to make decent headway & round the lighthouse into calm water of the lynn of morvern for a rest.

to be cont;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	119438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0098.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	119439  
Old 10 May 2017, 12:05   #2

RIBase
a few pics of later in the week to be cont
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0857.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	119440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0099.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	119441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0167.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	119442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0169.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	119443   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0172.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	119444  

Old 10 May 2017, 12:08   #3

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
We stuffed it at the lighthouse and we were in a 7m rib! It must have been a real up and downer in a sib.Respect.
Old 10 May 2017, 13:01   #4

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
Really cool wee boat, well thought out too
We got a proper soaking going by the lighthouse, went through as many wave as we went over!
Old 10 May 2017, 18:13   #5

RIBase
yep sometimes i think the smaller boat can have a better ride dropping into the trough rather than crest to crest then falling short with the inevitable stuffing and the blue green wall of ogin slapping you in the kisser.
as i went up the west side of lismore conditions were calm so i was at full speed 21.5 knots with the prop i had fitted i soon felt the cold with the wind chill after a soaking at the lighthouse so i decided to cut across to port appin for a well earned flask of coffee and a nut bar as i sat the wind seemed to pick up and whistle around my ariel i drank my coffee took out my £20 puffa coat from go outdoors and wore that under my dry suit now i was toasty packed my kit up and due to the wind building i decided to run back to easedale hugging the coast when i could, as i set off on to the plane the engine started to cavitate and the floor boards chattered i knew that the keel had gone down or soft but since i was heading for rough water again and at displacement speed i left it be and kept my speed down from pladda island i made a strait course for oban through the rough water making 5-6 knots with the bow up giving some shelter from breaking waves i found that the gath gedi helmet and visor proved their worth on this leg as the water was constantly spraying into the boat backed by the wind, reaching oban i made for kerrera sound and calm water moored up behind an old tug out of the wind for another coffee and check the keel.
its not hard to get at the keel just remove a few bungees and lift the anchor bucket but when its rough it can be risky especially when alone good job i did as i couldn't find the adapter piece that fitted the hand pump so i stowed everything ready for the off.down kerrera sound back into the firth of lorne hugging the coast & through the sound of inish the sea had changed to a nice roll which i could plane on at 10-12 knots with minimal cavitation back to easedale at 15.00 pm
Old 10 May 2017, 18:31   #6

RIBase
bit of info

the route was 49.1 miles and took 18 ltrs of fuel no guessing top of tank to top with 43 ltrs i had plenty if i had decided to do the full course with some reserve so the tank change as been a suckcess.
prop 10 1/4 x 12
the engine was faultless with a very confidant response when needed in the rough and plenty in reserve.
i sat on the floor most of the way on a waterproof dog bed helming on the starboard side the bed was so comfortable i have bought two more as i would like to be a tad higher and have one draped over the tube to lean on.
i made a seat before i went that fits over the tube for fishing off which has doubled up as an arm rest, it can fit anywhere in the boat or used as a table if required.
all in i had everything i wanted including the adaptor for the pump which i found later [senior moment]in my tool kit, with the keel i did fit a spare dust cap just incase that was leaking, i pumped the keel up when i got back the next day and its still up i guess it went soft and the constant pounding forced air past the dust cap as the original isnt as tight as the new one.
Old 10 May 2017, 18:39   #7

RIBase
few more picks later in the week
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0850.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	119447   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0852.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	119448   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0107.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	119449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0112.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	119450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0115.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	119451  

Old 10 May 2017, 18:46   #8

RIBase
two pics just up from the grey dogs behind the old fish farm i saw something move on shore through the bino's so i got in closer sure enough an otter filming was less than ideal facing the sun but i got within 5 m by using the wind to carry me into shore. you will have to zoom in to pick it out but great for me that close to one in the wild.

so to wrap up a great day saturday and a great rest of the week i did a further 60 miles but as i always do it at 2.5 knots close in.
great to meet guys off of here sadly i missed jambo & gurnard but that will come another day.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0126.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	119452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0131.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	119453  
Old 10 May 2017, 18:51   #9

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Great write up Jeff. Just shows the fun you can have in a sib at ERR and anywhere as long as you take the right precautions.
Great pics as well I see you had a go at the Dogs as well
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 19:19   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Great write up Jeff. Just shows the fun you can have in a sib at ERR and anywhere as long as you take the right precautions.
Great pics as well I see you had a go at the Dogs as well
Thanks billy yes had a great time in the dogs in and out of the flow the boat handles it well
Old 10 May 2017, 20:09   #11

Looks a good trip jeff cheers for posting
Do you have a 2nd engine on your boat? I was chatting to Donny about that he has one I don't. I feel I should get one just haven't got around to it probably chancing it a wee bit
Old 10 May 2017, 20:31   #12

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
cracking write up I thought the lads in the ceaser had balls but going around the lighthouse in a sib hats off to you i was admiring your sib on my way to the bar looks a cracking set up I didn't realise we had done 50 miles each way on the Saturday tho no wonder I had no fuel and an aching back on Sunday .
Old 10 May 2017, 20:51   #13

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
You did will going through the tide race on the tip of Lismore in those conditions Jeff.

Good to see what others are up to in their boats too. Just sorry I missed you..I had Loch Etive planned and forgot the dates were the same with each other and had to cancel one.
Old 10 May 2017, 21:11   #14

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Nice one Jeff. Definitely going to get in a few longer adventures this year.
Old 11 May 2017, 17:29   #15

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie12 View Post
Looks a good trip jeff cheers for posting
Do you have a 2nd engine on your boat? I was chatting to Donny about that he has one I don't. I feel I should get one just haven't got around to it probably chancing it a wee bit
Hi duggie

No I don't have one and sit in both camps on my RIB I had one no way of paddling it to do any good.
Never had one on a sib because of oars/paddles having said that paddles arnt much good on your own.
OMO my risk assessment is I have a new rig backed by radioes , PLB , lazer flare, two anchors and a shed load of rope. I maintain my boat without counting cost so that said many boats go single engine including the RNLI inshore Sib'S not discounting getting one and did think of buying the cheap Chinese 4 stroke 2 hp as a one off get you out the Mia job or if I can pick up a cheap 2 smoke.
I am happy to go single engined never had one let me down in 43 years,you have to do what you feel comfortable with if you have the room the dosh and it makes you feel safe get one mate better than without.
Donny (gurnard) is a weath of information you would be wise to take his advice from his years of experience.

Cheers
Old 11 May 2017, 17:33   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
Nice one Jeff. Definitely going to get in a few longer adventures this year.
Do it mate I kind of forgot how far you can travel in a sib in a short time
Old 11 May 2017, 17:41   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
You did will going through the tide race on the tip of Lismore in those conditions Jeff.

Good to see what others are up to in their boats too. Just sorry I missed you..I had Loch Etive planned and forgot the dates were the same with each other and had to cancel one.
Hi gurnard

It was a bit hairy but the boat is sound I never felt at risk but didn't have the time to.
Hopefully we will meet on the SIB weekend
If this weather keeps up there will be some great tales to be told.

Cheers
Old 11 May 2017, 17:56   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
cracking write up I thought the lads in the ceaser had balls but going around the lighthouse in a sib hats off to you i was admiring your sib on my way to the bar looks a cracking set up I didn't realise we had done 50 miles each way on the Saturday tho no wonder I had no fuel and an aching back on Sunday .
Thanks Beerbelly the lads did really well it's a long way I didn't go out Sunday body said no
Old 11 May 2017, 18:03   #19

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Do it mate I kind of forgot how far you can travel in a sib in a short time
Hi Jeff, apologies if you have mentioned this previously but how slow can your Suzuki 25 go? Im thinking of slow trolling with eddystone eels. With the right prop Can the 25 go slow enough (2-3 knts)? Ive currently got a 25 2 stroke which is great but aint keen on slow for very long!

Cheers, Steve
Old 11 May 2017, 18:03   #20

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
We stuffed it at the lighthouse and we were in a 7m rib! It must have been a real up and downer in a sib.Respect.
To be honest I didn't have time to think about it I kind of used it to my advantage running at an angle making sure the following sea didn't take over whilst making sure I didn't stuff it in the next wave good fun but glad of the rest after the lighthouse

Tags
sib