Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 21 January 2012, 10:15   #1

Town: Ely
Make: Avon & Hutchinson
Length: 3m +
repair a Polyurethane tube with Hypalon patches ????

I have an old 3m Eurovinil which came off ebay as a bit of a 'why not' purchase. The patches were never trimmed so it has 'slab' repairs on it. As far as I know the patches are hypalon & were put on with single part adhesive & the boat is Polyurethane (not PVC).
Has anyone used Hypalon on PU before & as they use the same glue as far as I'm aware. Should the repairs last? I'm only using this in the river so it's not getting any silly abuse from now on.
It's worth knowing as I have a stack of orange hypalon patches & plenty of 2 part glue so I can gradually repair it so it looks half decent.

This is quite a heavy boat with a 2 section wooden keel, varnished wooden floor & rubber reinforcement along the bottom for dragging over beaches. Any info on what model boat it is would also be welcome.
Old 21 January 2012, 15:31   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Urethane is kind of weird. It's a plastic, but the plasticisers tend to migrate less than PVC, which is why the hypalon glue works at least OK on it. Ideally, you'd use a couple of layers of urethane glue on the urethane, and a couple of layers of hypalon glue on the hypalon, then stick the differing glues together. But, as long as the glue has adhered to the urethane, why worry about it?

As far as the dissimilar materials, that won't matter as long as the glue joint is secure.

I find it interesting that a boat called a "Eurovinil" would be something other than Vinyl. But that might be just me.

jky