Old 26 January 2018, 13:25   #1

Town: Tiree
Boat name: Silver Wing
Make: RedBay Storm force
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Removing lettering from tubes

Just bought a Rib and it has the old companies web site address down both sides. Would prefer to remove it rather than cover in over, does anyone have any experience in how to remove it, I'm sure there must be some kind of solution that would soften the glue, someone mentioned using a heat gun but a bit wary about using this.
Old 26 January 2018, 14:05   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Gentle use of a heat gun combined with a (not too sharp) scraper (plastic?) and gentle use of the appropriate solvent. I used to dip the scraper in the solvent and once you have an edge uncovered it will work it's way under.
Old 26 January 2018, 16:22   #3

Town: Harefield
Make: Honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: 20hp Outboard
Hi mate, I’m a sign fitter so I’ve removed loads of vinyl lettering! If you’re worried about using a heat gun just soften it with a hair dryer or boiling water. Zippo lighter fuel will get the glue off. You’ll almost certainly be left with a ghost mark as the tubes will be faded. Use a non marking saucepan scraper ����
Old 26 January 2018, 20:08   #4

Town: Yorkshire
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Only experience with PVC material, but to be honest the hair dryer or my preference heat gun is the way to go and if you don't have a plastic scraper maybe an old credit card or car ice scraper.....if your nervous just apply bit of heat then try with scraper and build the heat up until it starts lifting...once it starts carry on with heat but use pliers to pull lettering off (don't try with fingers as I did...who'd have thought it would be hot!).
Old 27 January 2018, 00:38   #5

Town: Tiree
Boat name: Silver Wing
Make: RedBay Storm force
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Thanks folks, ill give it a go with a heat gun and some solvent.
Old 27 January 2018, 01:33   #6

You will probably find you will still see the name clear as day due to fading depending on how long they have been on there but solvent may get rid of the worst of it.

Not sure if solvent will do the trick but do not use a green scouring pad with solvent on hypalon.....you can get special pads for the job from rib supply shops that is worth doing.

You are only meant to apply solvent with a single wipe over so do not go it hard...and get a few pairs of gloves as it eats them up.

If you do use solvents you will be best doing the whole boat and then put some sealer on immediately afterwards, Aerospace 303 is worth getting if you don't have a preferred brand yet.