Old 28 June 2013, 12:43   #1

Boat name: ShaarkBait
Make: Zodiac 3.6 FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Pressure release valve

Just stumbled on this pressure relief valve

Looks interesting. Where does it go? I'm always wary of inflating my air floor to >~11psi before turning pressure down to stage inflate tubes to ~3+ psi. If I forget to turn pump down, then potential for a big bang.

The only thing that I physically have to do before being able to attach hose to low pressure valves is to fit a reducer tube over the end of the inflation tube. If this could take its place, it would be a good safeguard.
Old 28 June 2013, 22:04   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Those are just attached to any Halkey Roberts type air valves, will open to a determined pressure to release main tubes over pressure so not to blow them specially when inflating with electric compressors, scuba air bottles or excessive pressure rise due to sun issues specially during summer periods.

You should firstly iflate all tubes to 3.0 psi and then air deck to 11. When done back pressure selector to 3.0 just in case. Check selected pressure before inflation, inflating in a real hurry could have its kaboooon fatal consequences...

Happy Boating
Old 29 June 2013, 05:56   #3

Thanks. The Halkey Roberts bit was the missing link (not mentioned in the advert). Once you see a Halkey Roberts valve, its obvious how this fits, but my Zodiac doesn't have them so alas, they are of no use.

It would be really good if there was one that could be made to take the place of the reducing cylinder valve adaptor needed for the later Cadet/Fastroller recessed flush valves.

FYI, on a Zodiac Fastroller, the floor is the first thing to be inflated. Full pressure followed by the tubes. So as you go to inflate the tubes, the pump is at >11psi unless someone turns it down... hence I don't let others inflate.
Old 29 June 2013, 07:12   #4

Town: Australia
Boat name: none
Make: JP Marine 3.8 Patrol
Engine: Tohatsu 18hp 2stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
Thanks. The Halkey Roberts bit was the missing link (not mentioned in the advert). Once you see a Halkey Roberts valve, its obvious how this fits, but my Zodiac doesn't have them so alas, they are of no use.

It would be really good if there was one that could be made to take the place of the reducing cylinder valve adaptor needed for the later Cadet/Fastroller recessed flush valves.

FYI, on a Zodiac Fastroller, the floor is the first thing to be inflated. Full pressure followed by the tubes. So as you go to inflate the tubes, the pump is at >11psi unless someone turns it down... hence I don't let others inflate.
Does Zodiac recomend inflating the floor first? With my previous boat (generic) I was advised to inflate the floor last.
Old 29 June 2013, 08:58   #5

Its clearly documented in the Zodiac Fastroller manual with the bit about the floor/keel being fully inflated first being in bold. Then checking position of keel then inflating main buoyancy tubes in stages.

I think this is fairly unique to the Fastroller/Acti-V patented design as I understand that this is the reverse order from most other boats.
Old 29 June 2013, 15:37   #6

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Yes being a deep Acti-V air deck, standard flat ones are inflated last, keel included. Those air release valves are nice, don't understand why Zodiac haven't long time ago changed their horrible air valves for Halkey Roberts ones, workdwide used and much friendly for near everything. It's same as buying hardware for Apple and standard PC's.

Happy Boating