Old 16 July 2020, 17:48   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
Planning a day on the Dart

We covered 18 miles today on a full round trip of Ullswater with two up in our new 3.3m Excel Volante, and the Suzi 6hp is pretty much broken in. Got about 12mph which I’m really impressed with considering the motor AV plate is at least an inch too low and and we had a lot of stuff in the boat. Going to make a 1” spacer for the top of the transom and see where that gets me.

Now I’m looking for somewhere to take the SIB next week while I’m with my folks near Clevedon, North Somerset (half way between WSMare and Portishead)

River Dart seems possible, but it would be the first time on unfamiliar waters after my nice calm break-in trips in on Ullswater so I’m looking for guidance and recommendations.

From reasearch, I’m thinking I would launch from Dittisham, either The Ham or from Blackness Marine’s slipway for a bit more luxury with their pontoon.

Then we can explore the river a bit. It’ll be me and my girlfriend in the boat for the most part, but can anyone suggest a location that my parents could meet us for a riverside picnic and take turns in the boat? They’re keen to have a go and I’m not sure how much summer I’ll have left before I’m totally snowed under with work.

Also is trying to berth at Dartmouth going to be crazy stressful? Perhaps they could get the Park and Ride into town and we meet them on the quayside?

Any and all suggestions welcome, thanks in advance!
Old 16 July 2020, 18:11   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Landing at Dartmouth with a smallcraft is quite easy. Head for the pontoon marked GP on this map. Central an so easy for the parents to find and sit on a seat waiting for you...

https://www.dartharbour.org/visitors...and-kingswear/

Google maps view of said pontoon...

https://goo.gl/maps/jT7hSvbm88uGyuAV8

Both a few hours on the pontoon and operating in the harbour are free for 4m and under.

Here is the full rather excellent harbour guide...

https://content.yudu.com/libraryHtml...our-Guide-2020
Old 16 July 2020, 18:29   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
The River Ex would also be a good choice....bigger...closer...and still plenty to see and do...and free launching out the back...nice run to Topsham too...and if you want a few waves to play in pretty much always get some on the Sand Bar....turn left and Sandy Bay is great for the family and Kids
If you like fishing a better bet than Dartmouth...and cheaper all round!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 20:00   #4

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
Thanks both, very useful.

River Ex might also be a good option too then, I was just a bit intimidated by all the sand banks on google maps... where would you recommend launching from?
Old 16 July 2020, 20:57   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinking View Post
Thanks both, very useful.

River Ex might also be a good option too then, I was just a bit intimidated by all the sand banks on google maps... where would you recommend launching from?
If you pass the main slip....which is an option if it's calm,although the tides especially on springs is a little strong...you can use another slip behind the houses at high tide....or walk the rig across the beach....parking near by.
The Sand Bar is pretty easy to see and avoid if you stay within the Bouys....and if the open Sea is a little lumpy you can just head inland up river quite a distance if you prefer.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 06:31   #6

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
If you pass the main slip....which is an option if it's calm,although the tides especially on springs is a little strong...you can use another slip behind the houses at high tide....or walk the rig across the beach....parking near by.
The Sand Bar is pretty easy to see and avoid if you stay within the Bouys....and if the open Sea is a little lumpy you can just head inland up river quite a distance if you prefer.

There is a slipway on the River Dart, just downstream of Steamer Quay in Totnes. I’ve used it a couple of times, launching my old boat from a trailer. Access is from public car park, and you pay to park both. You just need to look at tides. It’s a great run downstream past Dittisham, Agatha Christie’s home, with Britannia Royal Naval college, the steam railway, and Dartmouth. I moored up, briefly in Dartmouth( just o.k’ d it with staff there). Launching at Totnes made it easier access from home Via M5, then via Newton Abbott to Totnes. It ‘s a very scenic run, with open sea options.
Old 18 July 2020, 08:12   #7

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
I launched from the Upper Ferry public slip in Dartmouth using the trailer park opposite as a drive in staging area where we inflated and prepared the SIB. After launch there was a short delay while Mrs Limecc found some parking which also happened to be free.

We very much enjoyed our Totnes run but it was a little frustrating at times keeping to the speed limits or instruction to create no wash. We didn't have sonar on the SIB, would be interesting to see how much water is available at low tide. Went upstream and beyond the second road bridge before chickening out, it was too shallow (and pretty murky hiding submerged wood) to explore further. The last photo has our SIB moored in the foreground while we had lunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Totnes.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	134274   Click image for larger version

Name:	TotnesMoorings.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	134275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Totnes2.jpg
Views:	88