Old 19 May 2023, 09:12   #1

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Petrol tank storage, the fumes

I'm planning on transporting my SIB in the back of my campervan, everything is working fine I have trolleys for the SIB and the outboard which work a treat and make it easy enough to load and unload.

The one persistent problem is the fuel tank, I have tried various bags etc but there is still a slight smell of fuel vapour, obviously not good as we are sleeping in the van. I have tried 2 different tanks (old ones) both the same. Any ideas/tips?
Old 19 May 2023, 12:02   #2

Town: Sofia, bulgaria
Boat name: Narnia II
Make: Honwave T38 IE3
Engine: BF20
Had the same problem and actually the biggest smell was coming from the outboard itself. When transported sideways the fuel lacked from the carb. Also 2 strokes have the gas smell from the exhaust. Run the carb dry before storage. Bear in mind that for 2strokes fuel also delivers the oil, so running until dry is not recommended for 2 carbs motors. As for the gas tank, its always travelling in the roofbox and always completely empty (here's always someone at the slip that will take some free gas). You can also tie it to a bike rack or cross beams.
Old 19 May 2023, 12:26   #3

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
I now tow a trailer and all that stuff goes in there. It is almost impossible to get rid of those smells
Old 19 May 2023, 16:03   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I have a camper van and a boat but I don't think I'd ever consider sleeping in the camper with a petrol container inside the van with me...stick it outside for goodness sake at least when you're in the same space.
Old 19 May 2023, 18:17   #5

You can also buy a big rooftop waterproof bag from Amazon and use that to put stuff in outside under the van
Old 20 May 2023, 07:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPun View Post
Had the same problem and actually the biggest smell was coming from the outboard itself. When transported sideways the fuel lacked from the carb. Also 2 strokes have the gas smell from the exhaust. Run the carb dry before storage. Bear in mind that for 2strokes fuel also delivers the oil, so running until dry is not recommended for 2 carbs motors. As for the gas tank, its always travelling in the roofbox and always completely empty (here's always someone at the slip that will take some free gas). You can also tie it to a bike rack or cross beams.
I run my outboard dry of fuel and bag the bottom end, the engine and then the whole thing with a barbecue cover when it's in the van. There's no smell from the outboard, I have it in the van garage now and it's fine.

I can understand not wanting to have the fuel in the van but it's not really an option to transport it out of the van, if i was to trailer anything it would be a whole boat but that then tends to dominate the whole holiday (the Mrs isn't a boating fan) hence the SIB. The roof has a 350 watt solar panel and various skylights, there's no room for the tank.

I could place it outside of the van at night but it would be a worry leaving a fuel source outside, wild camping tends to put me on edge anyway......I wouldn't sleep.

My new cap arrived last night but there's still a wiff of fuel, going to wash the tank off and try again Ferry to the outer hebrides is booked for Friday. At the moment i have the smaller tank and a vacuum bag that the tank fits in so that's my go to to option.

I'm going to order some gasket material and replace the gasket for the fuel pickup on the larger tank.

Thanks for the replys
Old 20 May 2023, 07:35   #7

All I can think of is to buy a large drybag and seal it up in there Northern Diver has some very good ones at reasonable prices
Old 20 May 2023, 07:37   #8

It should fit in here and for £21 well worth a punt, Get the big one

https://www.ndiver.com/roll-top-dry-bags
Old 20 May 2023, 07:42   #9

Great idea, cheers
Old 20 May 2023, 08:36   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
All good advice above. We are never greatly troubled by carrying fuel and outboards as for whatever reason our outboards have never leaked fuel in the car and we put the tanks in last thing at the very back for a journey then the car ventilation system tends to move the air and fumes quickly through to outside. Fully appreciate it's different with a van and overnighting.

The only thing not mentioned I'd say is, with 2-stroke in particular, the slightest spill on the outside of the tank even if wiped off to dry with a paper towel etc will still leave a lingering smell in a confined space. But wipe the area of the dried spillage with a baby wipe or similar and the smell goes.
Old 20 May 2023, 12:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

The only thing not mentioned I'd say is, with 2-stroke in particular, the slightest spill on the outside of the tank even if wiped off to dry with a paper towel etc will still leave a lingering smell in a confined space. But wipe the area of the dried spillage with a baby wipe or similar and the smell goes.
I think this was the issue, spills on the outside of the tank. I have washed it over with some soapy water and its been in the shed for a couple of hours with no odour. I have ordered a bag as well just to be sure. Thanks again
Old 20 May 2023, 14:50   #12

Ahh well then I reckon add baby wipes to the mix as well and the problem will be much reduced.
Old 22 May 2023, 22:08   #13

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Also consider that many fuel hoses do let a bit of vapour through too. I was annoyed with a consistent petrol smell under the cover of my boat, despite it being an expensive, fuel rated, hose. So I've now replaced it all with teflon and the petrol smell has all gone:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362101935565
Old 23 May 2023, 07:14   #14

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
I keep my outboard in the porch (don't ask), covered up. Whether I run it until it's dry or not, it always smells. It does go away eventually, but takes days. But I think it's a persistent exhaust fumes smell as well as petrol. Cleaning it down didn't help. Thankfully you can't smell it in the house, just as you come through the front door, so it's not that big a deal.

As to how to stop your van smelling, no idea. Fenlander's trailer sounds like the best (and most expensive and awkward if you can't store it) thing.
Old 23 May 2023, 08:04   #15

My outboard doesn't smell, I have covered the engine and bottom end with plastic bags and the whole engine with a barbecue cover.

The fuel tank........I have replaced the cap and removed the fuel line and bagged separately. Washed the tank over with warm soapy water and placed the whole thing in a heavy duty plastic bag and vacuumed the air out of it. Placed this in a dry bag and then put all of it in another plastic bag and again vacuumed the air out of that. It's been in the van for 3 days and there is no smell of fumes.
Old 23 May 2023, 09:28   #16

>>>Fenlander's trailer sounds like the best (and most expensive and awkward if you can't store it) thing.

Hey come on... never mention Fenlander and Trailer in the same sentence. I'm strictly an in a bag in the back of the car guy.
Old 23 May 2023, 09:40   #17

Town: Notts
Boat name: Terra Nova
Make: Boatworld
Engine: 4stroke 9.9 Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>Fenlander's trailer sounds like the best (and most expensive and awkward if you can't store it) thing.

Hey come on... never mention Fenlander and Trailer in the same sentence. I'm strictly an in a bag in the back of the car guy.
Oh! Beg podden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
I now tow a trailer and all that stuff goes in there. It is almost impossible to get rid of those smells