Old 24 March 2021, 17:54   #1

Town: Huddersfield
Make: Yamaha
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 8hp Petrol
Pastures (or wet stuff!) New.

Ok folks. This year is looking like another abortion for journeying into Europe on the motorcycle. As such, I'm planning (more than usually is the case) boaty outings - ideally in some new places.

I'm looking at Loch Awe. Any tips for launching sites apart from the boatyard on the southern shore? Any recommendations for places to stay in the area?

If anyone fancies recommending anywhere else (especially S or W Scotland that would be great.) Or anywhere else? Open minded.

Boat is 3.1m SIB & 8hp. 2 adults.
Old 24 March 2021, 18:12   #2

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
East coast off the cards?
Old 24 March 2021, 18:43   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Do you mean Loch Awe Boats about a third of the way down from the NE end on the S shore near Ardbrecknish House? They have boat hire, storage and slipway. Helpful guys. If you could stay nearby I'm sure you could leave the SIB all set up there for the week. Don't you like them/the location?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...53!4d-5.227615

https://www.facebook.com/Loch-Awe-Bo...9263780918106/
Old 24 March 2021, 19:35   #4

Town: Huddersfield
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Yam 8hp Petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Do you mean Loch Awe Boats about a third of the way down from the NE end on the S shore near Ardbrecknish House? They have boat hire, storage and slipway. Helpful guys. If you could stay nearby I'm sure you could leave the SIB all set up there for the week. Don't you like them/the location?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lo...53!4d-5.227615

https://www.facebook.com/Loch-Awe-Bo...9263780918106/
Yes, that's the place Fenlander. No, I've no axe to grind with them at all, just wondering there was any "wild" launching sites.

There are some chalets just south of the yard which would be ideal.. I'm not expecting availability tbh.

East coast is an option, though I find with only 8hp and 2 up, things are a bit of a struggle on the sea. Any recommended launching sites in the Whitby-Hornsea area?

Thanks for the comments guys
Old 24 March 2021, 22:33   #5

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamair View Post
Yes, that's the place Fenlander. No, I've no axe to grind with them at all, just wondering there was any "wild" launching sites.

There are some chalets just south of the yard which would be ideal.. I'm not expecting availability tbh.

East coast is an option, though I find with only 8hp and 2 up, things are a bit of a struggle on the sea. Any recommended launching sites in the Whitby-Hornsea area?

Thanks for the comments guys

Yeah noticed your setup after I posted. Weather permitting you could have a great day setting out from broughty ferry heading up to perth with the tide. Dolphins, seals, light houses, oil rigs, sea eagles, otters, castles on the way. You’d want high pressure and no wind though. Strong tidal area which gets pretty exciting pretty quick with the wrong wind !