Old 20 July 2017, 16:05   #1

Make: Zodiac FR 340
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 4 Stroke
Options on portable outboard

So i have a Zodiac Fastroller 340.
And i want your opinions of a portable outboard.

I currently have a Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke, which ive been using for roughly 7 years. Its gotten to the point where i feel its too heavy to move around all the time. Its 93 lbs + gas tank

Theres 2 used motors being sold locally that i m interested in.

1. Yamaha 1998 9.9HP 2 Stroke. I dont actually know the weight of this, but i imgaine it to be significantly lighter than my current 4 stroke. I've read online its 79 lbs, can anyone confirm? I used to own a 2stroke so know about the smoke, oil/gas ratio etc.

2. A Yamaha 2016 6HP 4 Stroke. It weighs 60 lbs and has an integrated gas tank. It will save me lot of room since i don't have to store the tank in the boat which is on the small side already.

I generally use the boat on medium sized lakes to fish or just to swim. i wont be pulling anything around.

Also is a 6HP engine a lot slower than a 9.8?

Thanks
Old 20 July 2017, 20:30   #2

Town: North wales
Make: Europa Sport
Engine: Johnson 25
6hp is a fair amount slower. But if your using it on lakes to just go fish. Who really cares about speed. It will just about get 2 up in your sib on the plane.

I've used a merc 6hp 4stroke and it planes my 3.3m sib easily enough. But no were near the power of my 9.8hp 4t although I now need more

I'd suggest buy the 6hp and keep your 9.9 for a few weeks to see how you go. Then either way one has to be sold.
Old 20 July 2017, 21:06   #3

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
See if you can find a Tohatsu 9.8 2 Stroke weight is 26 KG and very powerful
Old 20 July 2017, 21:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossymtb View Post
6hp is a fair amount slower. But if your using it on lakes to just go fish. Who really cares about speed. It will just about get 2 up in your sib on the plane.

I've used a merc 6hp 4stroke and it planes my 3.3m sib easily enough. But no were near the power of my 9.8hp 4t although I now need more

I'd suggest buy the 6hp and keep your 9.9 for a few weeks to see how you go. Then either way one has to be sold.
Thanks for the reply, how long does the integrated gas tank last? .3 gallons doesn't seem like a lot of fuel to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
See if you can find a Tohatsu 9.8 2 Stroke weight is 26 KG and very powerful
I would like to but 2 strokes are hard to come by here. They stopped importing them years ago.
Old 21 July 2017, 05:22   #5

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix84 View Post

I would like to but 2 strokes are hard to come by here. They stopped importing them years ago.
Same in the UK but if you look hard you can still get good second hand ones
Old 21 July 2017, 14:01   #6

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
For rivers and lakes, or even voyages on choppy seas, I'd be tempted to go for the portability and integrated tank. If you want to spend a lot of time on the plane, then you will need a 9.9 or above to get the best performance.

I used regularly to do long distances on rivers and sea lochs with a 3 hp. It can be done easily. For longer trips, I would take spare fuel, but, from memory, I could get an hour or so out of a full tank. You will need to carry spare fuel at least until you know how long YOUR boat will go with YOUR engine on a tank full.

If you're not going to plane, then the boat has a natural maximum speed through the water, and it will achieve this on any engine around 3-6 hp depending on load and trim. Of course, if the water is choppy or there is strong wind, a 6 is better than a 3.

Much lower than 3 and you may regret your choice. My 310 only trundles on my 1.5 hp (equivalent) Torqeedo electric.
Old 21 July 2017, 20:02   #7

Taking the 9.9 out for the weekend and just loaded it into my car and was reminded how heavy and awkward that thing is to transport.

This is a pretty tough decision for me, thank you all for your comments.

Tags
outboard