Length: 5m +
Ok thanks all a bit confusing till I saw Chipko's Chart
Old 06 October 2023, 10:27   #62

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just to round off... yesterday we had a day of suitable tide times and exceptional weather for a week into October so took the opportunity to get back on the horse so to speak after that outboard failure and paddle back last time out.

I make no apology for putting up another pic with it all set up inc the bow trolley. Every time we use it we realise we went on far too long thinking it would be a nuisance extra bit of kit to carry. Far from it given the ease with which you can move the SIB... this particular trolley steers which is a massive benefit to close quarters tight slipway and car park situations.

As mentioned elsewhere this trip was on a full tank of Aspen which was exactly the same as pump petrol in every way just with the storage advantage vs cost disadvantage.

The top of tube wooden oar upgrade I made a while ago is still proving a benefit over collapsing paddles somewhere on the floor.

Weather was very gusty and only the dog's third time at sea but with a gradual intro over the outings he's proved to get on fine.

Performance on the reduced pitch (7.5 down from 8.5) prop confirmed as before... makes the 9.8 2T Tohatsu acceptable if not a ball of fire. A 15 2T would be ideal no doubt and that itch may yet again get scratched over the winter if I get bored.

We went for a look to see how the old Caroline ship is holding up... bit tatty now in truth. I can't think they'll ever raise enough to keep that afloat and tidy.

As forecast the gusts picked up in the middle of our trip and we had a great run back with wind over tide waves surfing us home. The Aerotec's pointy bow and true V hull shape parting the waves sends sheets of spray up away from the boat either side more like a hard hull when diving down a trough and hitting the back of the next wave. Great fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023 setup with trolley.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	143927   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023 setup internal.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	143928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog & crew.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	143929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caroline over bow.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	143930  
Old 06 October 2023, 10:37   #63

Previous outing of course was with the other Aerotec with a minimal packer on the transom and there was so much water chucked back into the boat. Yesterday I noted with our own permanent 45-50mm rise not one drop of spray was thrown over. Always surprising Bombard never addressed this issue. Even with the mod the wake is untidy compared to a hard hull though.

Had chips for lunch at the pontoon and what a nice change from it being packed with boating and non boating leisure users a month ago.

Pic while waiting for Mrs F to get the trolley/wheels at the end of the day is of my added seat and Bengar cushion. Again it proved ideal for a 67yr old backside. I'm glad I used the seat "rail" type fitting as it's proved really useful to be able to change the position to/fro by nearly a foot as required.

The low sun shot from the water's edge where we parked and set up really summed up the peaceful day. And now that's it for the year... it's all being washed to tuck away for the winter. It suits us to bring the season to a certain close and as I've said elsewhere move onto frying our other fish for the colder months.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wake23B.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	143931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontoon lunch.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	143932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hauling out.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	143933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Low sun.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	143934  
Old 06 October 2023, 11:58   #64

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Great to see you managed another trip out David, looks as though it was a good day.

The more I see a bow trolley in use, the more I'm tempted to fashion something out of my OB trolley as PD has done - winter project number 1 I think.

I've never been keen on the oars being on the inside the tubes, like the T38-ie3, it just looks like they will get in the way.

Im hoping to get 1 or 2 more trips out before Redneck (misnomer, as its definitely orange now!) is packed away for the winter, weather and work will dictate.
Old 06 October 2023, 13:28   #65

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Good to see you’ve finished the season on a positive after your last trip. Mine is still sat on its trailer in the Hope I get one more outing before packing for the winter.
Enjoyed the write ups. Out of interest, does Seastart operate in your area? I’ve never looked at it because I go to so many different launching spots.
Old 06 October 2023, 18:07   #66

No Seastart in our area.

I always plan a backup scenario* wherever we launch but accept one day we may need help via radio (even phone) or PLB in the extreme.

*For example yesterday the wind and current would have assisted us paddling to grab a mooring in the estuary or make a safe beach landing. Further I always keep an eye on the several boats about in the area. But in Scotland some areas there may not be anyone within sight and the currents may threaten to sweep you in all sorts of undesirable directions so the plan would need to be more robust.
Old 06 October 2023, 20:21   #67

Am I right in thinking Seastart is the AA of the sea?
Old 06 October 2023, 20:32   #68

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Am I right in thinking Seastart is the AA of the sea?

It is. Tends to be very Solent Centric & other south coast hotspots.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 October 2023, 21:37   #69

Mmm not sure, does it breed complacency? Isn't self reliance not part of the experience?
Old 06 October 2023, 22:02   #70

Because I'm a what if kind of guy I was calm and knew what to take into account and what to set in motion when the Johnson engine failed but it has concentrated my mind a bit. in my younger days I've been on a couple of larger craft with engines giving reduced performance and some concern if the problem would progress to failure but I was not the decision maker then.

I've never suffered a failure on a smallcraft with an outboard before. I've had so many older outboards and always had confidence they wouldn't fail. Hence my what if sensor is a little more highly tuned now and both my care in post purchase prepping a used outboard and the new vs used thoughts will be even greater now.

I will never rely on others to get me out of trouble... if I ever need to make *the* call it will be something really unexpected not just calling the taxi for convenience.
Old 07 October 2023, 21:16   #71

Just some random stuff...

I find the post trip wash down, dry off and repack of the kit quite therapeutic which is lucky as today I pondered on the fact that it takes almost as long as the time we're moving on the water for a day out.

Thought I'd put up a pic you don't see much of the Aerotec floor inflated out of the boat. It shows why it's a unique design. Note the patch. That's a good confirmation a patch will hold fine on a HP air floor. That's been on there about 4yrs and is still 100% sound.

Final thing see the paint marks on the cone. I think I raised the transom about 5yrs ago and painted the wooden outer transom pad with some random black outdoor brush on paint found in the garage as I didn't have a can of my go to Halfords spray satin black.

Big mistake as it now needs a towel wrapping around the transom or the paint transfers to the tube material when packed/stored and sometimes I forget. Comes off easily with Ciff and a cloth though. Next year I will remember to strip it back and use better paint. In that pic you can see the inner lift handles I fitted the other year... unashamedly copied from Honwave. Every trip they prove useful in one way or another.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Washdown.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	143957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Air floor under.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	143958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cone paint marks.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	143959  
Old 07 October 2023, 22:31   #72

I wonder why another manufacturer hasn't taken up the challenge of making a copy of the aerotec?
Old 08 October 2023, 09:43   #73

We've pondered on this in the past. When production was paused around 2015 during the Zodiac wobbly period I said surely Honwave could create something very similar and at a better price. But of all the different design types that have emerged over the past 5-10 years no-one seems motivated to give it a try.

Perhaps too niche with the narrow sloping floor for a decent sales run?
Old 09 October 2023, 06:19   #74

Town: Colchester
Do you do this blow up and wash down after ever trip or just at the end of the season.

To be honest I don’t do it at all. If we are going on a long trip like a week away I do blow the boat up a few days before the off just to make sure it is ok
Old 09 October 2023, 06:55   #75

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
I wonder why another manufacturer hasn't taken up the challenge of making a copy of the aerotec?
Indeed - many of us have asked this down the years - especially when the Aerotec is a very old design and the huge SUP market since has meant dropstitch tech has moved on leaps and bounds.

A slight transom re-design, a couple of inches on the beam and not a lot else (maybe an optional 'hard' floor topper like an Arancia) and a Chinese company could make the perfect SIB.

BTW I have always stored my oars inside the gap in the V under the joining flap alongside a 30m anchor rope. But these are the Zodiac originals not wooden (Avon?) types.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/riggin...tec-71912.html
Old 09 October 2023, 10:20   #76

My oars are similar length to those on an Avon but they were just some randoms picked up at a local general auction. I like that arrangement but as with the extra seat it's all added weight.

Yes unless I knew for sure I was going out within another week I always flush/wash the outboard and wash the boat plus all the kit post outing. I flush the outboard regardless. Obviously when away for a one/two week holiday I leave it until I get home.
Old 09 October 2023, 21:32   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Do you do this blow up and wash down after ever trip or just at the end of the season.

To be honest I don’t do it at all. If we are going on a long trip like a week away I do blow the boat up a few days before the off just to make sure it is ok
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to put things away clean and dry. I agree if I'm on holiday Redneck and the OB don't get cleaned and flushed until I get home. I was brought up that way, look after things and they will last and serve you well.

I hear of people not making their bed when they get up because they will be sleeping in it again that night, or not washing dishes and pans after a meal as they will be using them again. I don't understand it. It's each to there own I suppose.
Old 10 October 2023, 04:30   #78

Town: Colchester
Quote:
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to put things away clean and dry. I agree if I'm on holiday Redneck and the OB don't get cleaned and flushed until I get home. I was brought up that way, look after things and they will last and serve you well.

I hear of people not making their bed when they get up because they will be sleeping in it again that night, or not washing dishes and pans after a meal as they will be using them again. I don't understand it. It's each to there own I suppose.
Yes it is each to their own. I always wash out my outboard after each use unless away for a trip in which case I wash it out when I get home. I don’t see the point of washing down my PVC boat each time as we have many other things we do. We do a heck of a lot. We have had our T38 about 6 + years now, It is used a lot and it is as good as when it was bought new.

There are many things that people do or don’t do that others don’t understand. Not understanding them does not make either right or wrong.

What I do know is sometimes this sort of stuff can be driven by OCD. A friend of mine suffered very badly in this regard and sadly it did not end well. Something to be wary of.

But once again we can agree that it is each to their own. Neither is right and neither is wrong
Old 10 October 2023, 06:43   #79

Old 10 October 2023, 09:33   #80

>> sometimes this sort of stuff can be driven by OCD. A friend of mine suffered very badly in this regard

To try and align taking a care and pride in your possessions with a serious mental health condition is a new low even for you.