Old 15 April 2015, 16:51   #1

Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Off-centre keel

Noticed earlier that the keel of my quicksilver isn't in the middle. Can j do anything about this? Photos are tricky to make out. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1429116612.328021.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	104485 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1429116630.249322.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	104486 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1429116650.148743.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	104487
I think the rubbing strip is central but the shape isn't! It's an Ali floor 380
Old 15 April 2015, 18:30   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
If I remember correctly..the keel is only attached to the bottom at the bow end. Think it also may also have one pvc strap around the middle but I may be wrong on that. ?

Every winter before storing mine..I lift the floors and hose out any sand that has collected in the bulges. Perhaps its sand or something that has displaced the keel ? Try deflating it..moving it into place above the keel band..then hopefully it should stay in place when inflated again ? Dont think its an unsortable problem unless its perhaps been off centre for a while and stretched the PVC bottom ?

Never had that problem with mine though.. and I deflate it before putting it on the trailer every time. You could always lift the floor and hold the keel in position by gluing a couple of PVC straps over it and onto the bottom ..if the bottom has stretched ?
Old 15 April 2015, 19:14   #3

Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
To be honest I've never seen beneath the floor and I don't know how to get it up. The floor.
Old 15 April 2015, 19:36   #4

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Its worth taking the floor out once a year as sand will collect under it. I even find the odd escaped mackerel under mine..and that improves the smell of the SIB tremendously. The bulge may even be water collected and pressing on the floor beside your inflatable keel.

The keel is just a long thin tube that runs down the centre of the boat under the floor..and its not attached all the way down.

To get the floor out..follow the below vid in reverese.

Deflate your tubes..you will see a couple of aluminium “runners” at the edge of the floor “panels”. They slot over the edges of the panels to hold them rigid. Possibly you may need to loosen them by putting a wooden block on the runner then smacking the wood with a hammer. I sometimes have to do that to break the seal if its not been out for a while. Once the runners are out from both sides of the floor panels..lift the panels. Be prepared for a few skinned knuckles the first time..but its easier with practice.

Perhaps try tipping the SIB up first..to see if it is water under the floor that is causing the bulge..drain it off if that is the problem. Or try deflating the keel and slapping the bulge to try and flip the keep back into position..then inflate again. That is if you cant get the floor out..but best if you can.

Hope that helps some

Although this vid is not a quicksilver..they are all much the same. You can see the keel near the start.