Old 24 August 2019, 14:08   #1

Town: Eastbourne
Length: no boat
Newbie looking for advice

Hi all. I know this is a frequently asked question, but it seems that there is no standard answer and that it depends on specific circumstances. I have an inflatable kayak, but love boating and want to make the transition into owning a boat. It will be used for leisure only, along rivers and perhaps in the sea (close to the shore). Looking at having room for me, my wife and 2 children. Ideally I wouldn't need a trailer due to lack of storage space, so one that I could put in the boot (I have a large estate car) to take to the beach/river and easily get it into the water.

I was thinking about a 3.5-4m inflatable with an aluminium floor, with an outboard of 10-15hp, but don't really have any idea.....so any advice or recommendations gratefully received.

Am I right that an inflatable (non-RIB) can be deflated and transported in the car, without the need for a trailer?

Are inflatables with an outboard easy to get in and out of water?

Is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks in advance to any of the experienced members that can offer some advice.
Old 24 August 2019, 14:34   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi New2B and welcome to the forum. I guess you have read the Which Sib sticky topic in the Inflatable section... but agree each persons situation is different.

Yes broadly speaking an inflatable in the 3.5-4m range with a 10-15hp motor will do what you need.

Are you thinking new or a used outfit?

An alloy floor model like the Honwave 3.5m would be great for you on the water but models with alloy floors are a little fiddly to set up at times. Many of us who daily inflate (we always do unless on holiday in one spot for a time) prefer an air floor model as they are so much easier to set up. Also there are the Frib models which are quite expensive and not so frequently seen used. Have a Google and see if they appeal.

Re outboards if new you will be in the £2k-£2.5k range and tidy used £1k-£1.5k.

How big is your car? A 3.8m with outboard and all the kit takes up the whole load space of a Mondeo or BMW 5-series estate but at least leaving the back seats in place.

They are fairly easy to get to the water if you use transom wheels or a folding trolley.

David
Old 24 August 2019, 14:41   #3

Here is the car fully packed just with the boat, outboard and kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fully packed outfit.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	130598  
Old 24 August 2019, 14:43   #4

BTW if going onto the sea a training course may be worthwhile.
Old 24 August 2019, 15:00   #5

Thanks David, that's a great help.

Ideally I'd like to go used to avoid spending loads until I know it's for us, and that way I could always sell it on with minimal loss if I decide to upgrade. My concern is that I don't really know what I am looking for so could end up buying something that is on it's last legs!

If I went new I was thinking about perhaps the Excel Vanguard, but having taken your comments about the airdeck the Volante may be the better option, which comes as a 3.3m suitable for 4 adults and one child or a 3.6m if I wanted to go bigger (but that obviously takes up more space in the car).

The 3.3m says the maximum engine size is 15hp, and I was thinking of this mainly for use in the sea - the video shows a 6hp engine being used - is 15hp overkill?

Thanks for the suggestion of training - I was going to look at this before going out to see, particularly if I take the kids out!

Thanks
Richard
Old 24 August 2019, 15:02   #6

Oh - and I have an Octavia estate at the moment, so quite a large boot, and I also have a roof box that I can use for some of the smaller bits.
Old 24 August 2019, 16:06   #7

Yep we sometimes use a roofbox if the family is with us... otherwise we pack in flexible smaller bags.

Used is good. Often leisure use outfits have low hours and are kept in garages etc away from the elements when not in use so stay in very nice condition. Outboards usually have low hours too and are often anything from smart to immaculate.

Outboard HP is something that can be argued so many ways. For river and quiet estuary use with a 3.5m or so sib and your family load a 6hp will push you along fine. Once you get to the sea you may wish to be able to plane and with that load you'll ideally need 15hp.

Outboards can be hard to shift about more than their weight would suggest compared to just lifting weights of that amount. Some examples... 26kg smaller HP outboards nice and light... 36kg often said to be most folks comfortable lift would get you an older 15HP 2-stroke (what I and many others have)… 44kg is getting heavier and not comfortable for me... 50+kg really too heavy for a daily set up from the car.

You have to make a decision on a 2-stroke (light and simple) or 4-stroke (heavier, quieter and less fuel used).
Old 24 August 2019, 16:17   #8

Here is an example of an outfit that sold recently that is broadly the sort of thing you could look at. Price about where you want to be??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/quicksilv...p2047675.l2557

Or this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zodiac-Ca...p2047675.l2557

Or this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quicksilv...p2047675.l2557

Just to start getting your eye in really.
Old 25 August 2019, 08:24   #9

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Etec 40
Hi newtoboating.
I'm a newbie myself but the old guy I bought my boat from seemed genuine enough and I've just noticed on the Facebook marketplace he has another up for sale.
Albeit this seems to be the alloy floor.
I'll post a link if you wanna have a look or contact him
If this is not allowed could admin delete it.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9043688936386/

I'm aware you live down south but if this boat was what you were after and did buy it I currently run a small courier company and could assist with transporting.
This also applies to any other forum members that may need something moved, we always have vans traveling throughout the country.

I'm not trying to sell anything here just saying if we could assist in moving anything we will free of any charge.
Old 25 August 2019, 09:45   #10

That guy seems to have a bit of everything!

No restrictions on posting advert links here. There's a long running thread where if it doesn't fit elsewhere folks often put up something they've seen advertised...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sibs-sp...-68925-14.html
Old 25 August 2019, 16:10   #11

Town: Belper
Make: Excel
I have a Excel Vanguard XHD 335, about 3.3m, this is OK with 4 adults and 2 toddlers space wise and has 2 seating boards.

It is an aluminium floor, great on the water but honestly I found it a pain to set up, so much so, I now have it moored in a Sawley Marina on the upper Trent as I can't be bothered with the hassle.

Its powered by a 6hp Mercury, with 4 adults and 2 toddlers it does not plane and there is not much point in more than 50% throttle, with just me it planes fine and I do not lust for more power. (on the River Trent)

It does take up the whole boot of my 5 series saloon, and the floor needs to go in the back seat foot well really, would not be suitable to take on a family holiday with all the other things needed.

In general the boat seems good but I noticed the pressure of the inflatable keel is only 6.6psi and I think Honwaves are much higher with the inflatable floor, cant say its been an issue though, just an observation.