Old 16 September 2023, 20:46   #1

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
New Excel Website and Sibs

Went onto the Excel website as I wanted some info regarding my SD360.
Looks like the new owners have done a considerable amount of work on the website and introduced a lot of new kit. 2 SIB ranges which particularly caught my interest are:-

The Explorer Range and the Scout Range.

I'm surprised at the Explorer Range. From the pictures it looks as though it has the large rear tabs which Honwave and Boatworld have just got rid of!
The Scout Range is intriguing. It can come with either an Ali deck or an Air deck (don't know if they are interchangeable) The larger models can take a 40hp OB, which on my opinion is bloody powerful for a tiller steer and probably not of real interest to the leisure sibber.
I don't really know what the statement "This boat has a more prominent V-Shaped Keel than other EXCEL ranges" actually means, is it just a bigger inflatable sausage?

I'd be interested in a few pictures and thoughts if anyone is going to the boat show.
Old 17 September 2023, 04:53   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
The larger models can take a 40hp OB, which on my opinion is bloody powerful for a tiller steer and probably not of real interest to the leisure sibber.
I had a 4.2m Zodiac Futura Sport GT with a 40hp on the back, and often wanted the max power of 50hp for hauling people and gear. Never considered it too much to handle other than on land, and 49cm wheels solved those issues. *Shrugs*

Aluminum floor for a trailered boat, and inflatable floor when folding it up. Although if trailering I would recommend a RIB.
Old 17 September 2023, 04:59   #3

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Well I am as usual going to the Show and the area for a week and will post a video. I will include the excel stand and the new boats if they are there.

I was so impressed with my Honwave T35 AE3 I might buy the T40 and a trailer. Got to add to the fleet a bit ��
Old 17 September 2023, 05:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
I had a 4.2m Zodiac Futura Sport GT with a 40hp on the back, and often wanted the max power of 50hp for hauling people and gear. Never considered it too much to handle other than on land, and 49cm wheels solved those issues. *Shrugs*

Aluminum floor for a trailered boat, and inflatable floor when folding it up. Although if trailering I would recommend a RIB.

Rib is good but generally 3 x the price and can’t fold it up for long term storage should the need arise
Old 17 September 2023, 19:18   #5

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Rib is good but generally 3 x the price and can’t fold it up for long term storage should the need arise
Where are you going to store the trailer it sits on? (For me inside storage is far more precious, than outside storage. Plus taking a boat apart and putting it back together is time consuming.) If cost is an issue buy used.

No boat should be put into long term storage...Best to use it routinely

This very light 4.2m AB would make a great starting point for a trailered boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 12.21.39 PM.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	143692  
Old 17 September 2023, 19:42   #6

It's really good that yet another thread has been hijacked! Thanks guys, I appreciate it

The title of the thread gives you a clue "New Excel Website and SIBs" , that's what I asked about.
Old 17 September 2023, 19:56   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
The title of the thread gives you a clue "New Excel Website and SIBs" , that's what I asked about.
Old 18 September 2023, 00:10   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Interesting.

I'm not sure what they are up to with the Explorer model. It is just like the Honwave and similar Boatworld model in basic concept... one with transom tabs that was a pain for wheels and transducers hence dropped by both those suppliers.

They comment on the deepest V keel for the Explorer but I doubt its different to all the others as the transom looks flat or nearly flat at the bottom.

The Scout is an odd one too. I think you choose either an alloy or air floor at time of purchase?? So why not just choose a Vanguard or Volante? Again a deep V is claimed but with flat looking transom.

For me a big downside with both models is nothing on the tube tops to hold onto until near the bow. Not great for a tube sitter wanting a bit of support.
Old 18 September 2023, 05:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Where are you going to store the trailer it sits on?

On its side to the side of the shed if you had to
Old 18 September 2023, 05:24   #10

Going to the show today (let’s hope the rain holds off). Will certainly have a look at their stand in the hope it is less overcrowded with boats than it used to be.

Just had a look at their new website and it has gone rather ‘lifestyle’ in my view and lacking pictures of the individual boats. Each boat should have at least 3-5 pics from different angles
Old 18 September 2023, 08:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Going to the show today (let’s hope the rain holds off). Will certainly have a look at their stand in the hope it is less overcrowded with boats than it used to be.

Just had a look at their new website and it has gone rather ‘lifestyle’ in my view and lacking pictures of the individual boats. Each boat should have at least 3-5 pics from different angles
My thoughts exactly
Old 18 September 2023, 09:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Interesting.

I'm not sure what they are up to with the Explorer model. It is just like the Honwave and similar Boatworld model in basic concept... one with transom tabs that was a pain for wheels and transducers hence dropped by both those suppliers.

They comment on the deepest V keel for the Explorer but I doubt its different to all the others as the transom looks flat or nearly flat at the bottom.

The Scout is an odd one too. I think you choose either an alloy or air floor at time of purchase?? So why not just choose a Vanguard or Volante? Again a deep V is claimed but with flat looking transom.

For me a big downside with both models is nothing on the tube tops to hold onto until near the bow. Not great for a tube sitter wanting a bit of support.
I agree, the Explorer seems to be a retrograde step to me and the positioning of those oars looks very far back. I do like a rope to hold onto even when sitting on the bench, those hand straps even look to far forward for the person sat on the front bench.
I wonder if they are in the process of changing manufacturer? Eventually dropping the Volante, Vanguard and Volaire.
Maybe a question for someone to ask at the boat show.
Old 18 September 2023, 09:33   #13

I’m wondering if they see a market outside people with experience to know what really makes a SIB spot on for using… the it looks cool but don’t worry about the details new to inflatables leisure market?
Old 18 September 2023, 10:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I’m wondering if they see a market outside people with experience to know what really makes a SIB spot on for using… the it looks cool but don’t worry about the details new to inflatables leisure market?
When I first saw them, especially the scout, I did think "that looks smart" and I do like the blunt bow.
Old 18 September 2023, 10:44   #15

A blunt bow isn't something I seek these days but they do make for loads more room for kit, kids and dogs. Helps with the feeling of stability too. The T35AE is quite blunt and when we owned ours we had two early teens and the dog so room wise it was spot on. It was the most sluggish SIB we'd owned for a given outboard size and I always wondered if it were that broad bow causing it to feel that way.
Old 18 September 2023, 11:46   #16

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Strange....my Samsung on chrome won't let me connect to the excel site for security
Old 18 September 2023, 11:59   #17

I was just watching a guys video last night about the boatworld carbon not having enough handles further back towards the seat. He was concerned for his kids, if on the seat. He missed the rope even for himself from his previous excels.
Get by with the bow rope when on your own, but I would certainly miss it, even if ending up in the water and getting dragged on board, its still a hold.
Some of the fishing guys complain about getting their hooks caught on the ropes, so perhaps these handles are less if an issue, and everyone trying to compete in a ever growing market.
Old 18 September 2023, 13:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Strange....my Samsung on chrome won't let me connect to the excel site for security
Hi Brian.

Are you trying to get onto the old Excel site. This is the new one:-

https://excel-leisure.co.uk/collections/explorer
Old 18 September 2023, 15:04   #19

Cheers Steve. Just realised its the works WiFi that's causing security issues.....turned it off and on data ...and loads up fine.

Site maybe still being built up. But hope they have a good presence at the boat shows for the guys to report on.

See they've stoped the 390 Volaire in super fast red so thats a bit disappointing for the speed freaks

Also says in the blurb that it has the same pressure tubes and floor now and uses the thickest pvc of anything else excel produces.....
Still 5 year warranty that beats a few
Old 18 September 2023, 18:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
See they've stoped the 390 Volaire in super fast red so thats a bit disappointing for the speed freaks
Not sure I'd get another super fast red sib they soon fade to S&R Orange!

Tags
sib