Old 24 June 2020, 21:15   #41

Make: F-rib
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15HP
Couple of updates.

Firstly over pressure valves. Even after having the valve on and off a few times I still wasn't happy that it was sealing properly so called Steve Bruce at Frib UK HQ.

He sent me out a replacement OP valve FOC but said they had stopped using them on new boats. They had found that the tubes were more than capable of handling expansion due to temperature etc and they felt the valves were more trouble than they were worth.

Fitted the replacement valve and tubes have stayed solid all week so looking good. Interesting note if anyone else plays with these. I had assumed the spring loaded plunger was the sealing part of the valve but this isn't strictly accurate.

The spring lets go at about 3 PSI. Above that it is actually the plastic cap that retains pressure. I presume the idea is of the cap blows off then the tube will only deflate to 3 PSI and not all the way.

Also just serviced the 15HP 2 stroke mariner. New impellor, oil change, plugs, thermostat gasket, anode etc. Also cleaned all the bolt holes out with a tap and used teflon grease on reassembly to inhibit corrosion.

All pretty straight forward.

One question, the adjustable tab on the shift lever that works on he tilt release collar. I presume it is adjusted so the OB is locked into the vertical position when in reverse but can tilt when in neutral or forward gear. Does that sound right?

Cheers,

Paul.

Tags
rib