Old 29 October 2014, 16:04   #1

Length: 10m +
Material Color in Intense Sun

Reviewing different makes and models but some only come in dark colors like black or red versus a lighter gray. The sun is very intense here in Texas and I worry that my family would burn their skin on one these darker boats. As strong as the sun is, I'm afraid that even the lighter tone materials will be too hot. What has been your experience?
Old 29 October 2014, 16:31   #2

Town: Oakham
Boat name: Blue Wave
Make: XS
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 115
We keep our boat in Spain and when we use it the temp in usually in the high 20s although it can get into the high 30s We have dark blue tubes with white wear patches and white hull. Like you I wondered if this was going to be a problem but it never has but there again we don’t sit on the tubes for extended periods.

Ironically the there are times when we cover over the white consol as for some reason in one anchorage we use the white seems to attract MayBugs.

Jon
Old 29 October 2014, 16:34   #3

Town: North Lincs
Boat name: na
Make: F-Rib 330/Excel 330
Length: 3m +
Engine: Parsun 15hp
Well we don't get the temperatures in the UK that you have over there but I had a black Zodiac Serie many years ago. If the boat was for example, on the beach or at least on dry land, on hot days the tubes were too hot to touch for long so I used splash water on them before we sat on them. If the boat was on the water for a while, they were not too bad, still quite hot but OK.
My current sib is dark blue, so we will see what hot days next year do to surface temperature.

Phil
Old 29 October 2014, 16:53   #4

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Although the cost is fairly high, often for dingys in the tropics they have covers made from cloth material like Sunbrella made to cover the tubes. It keeps the harmful sun rays off the tubes for longevity, protects the tubes from abrasion, but also keeps skin contact on a cooler surface.

I would highly recommend an OPV over pressure valve being installed on your boat since the heat can cause tube pressure fluctuations.
Old 30 October 2014, 13:21   #5

Length: 10m +
Is the over pressure valve something that can be attached to the existing like an adapter? Do they not typically come with one installed?

I have a feeling that no matter the color, in this intense sun, it will be hot to the touch. Our light tan van doesn't feel any cooler than our black car. We'll just have to come up with a solution like already mentioned.

We really do like the red color especially for visability safety while in the bay.
Old 31 October 2014, 05:13   #6

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
Is the over pressure valve something that can be attached to the existing like an adapter? Do they not typically come with one installed?
They are just like a regular valve for install, but vent at a specified pressure.

A6 Pressure Relief Valve for life rafts, RIBs and river rafts

High end boats come with them.