Old 19 May 2015, 16:17   #1

Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
Light showers.

A rare break in the weather/sea state was forecast for this morning, so we Headed out for a few hours fishing, the forcast was 1ft swell, 8mph breeze and the occasional light shower.
We got to our first mark and halfway through the drift we where hit by quite a heavy squall. We toughed it out as we could see clear sky behind and had a couple more drifts. The fishing was quiet, just a small codling apiece. As we where moving to another spot we watched a large squall move along a couple of miles inland. The breeze picked up and right across the horizon we could see more weather heading our way. So we headed in.
Just as we got to our landing point, while I was putting the wheels down, the heavens opened, first rain then hailstones. I couldn't get to the beach quick enough. The weather taunted us (the sun came out) as we pulled the SIB up the beach, but we'd had enough.

We got the boat home and stripped down, but before I could get it in the garage the heavens opened up again, a right corker this time, Thunder, Lightening and more Hailstones.

Squall heading off past Huntcliffe.

Thank goodness we didn't get caught out in that.
Old 19 May 2015, 18:13   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Good for you getting out and braving it, this is truly one **** year of weather so far, sitting here just over a week from June and feel like putting the heating on and we are still waiting for our first sea trip of the year...
Old 19 May 2015, 18:38   #3

Town: North Devon
light showers

The same down here in North Devon, been out three times so far and each time it has been lumpy, got out the weekend before last and it wasn't really very pleasent, every weekend it seems to be blowing a gale, looking outside now and it's been blowing for what seems like weeks.

Cantona
Old 19 May 2015, 19:24   #4

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Yep, well done for going out. I sat in the car at Newbiggin overlooking the bay with everything in the boot, but after 20 mins and getting out of the car three times and not fancying it i went home. Ive been out a few times recently but the wind has been a right pain. I have a week off work next week and it doesn't look any better. No doubt it will pick up as soon as i get back to work, boo hoo. Steve.
Old 19 May 2015, 19:32   #5

Town: Winchburgh west Lothian
Boat name: Papa Bear V1
Make: Humber 5.3 Ataque
Length: 5m +
Engine: 40 Mercury four stro
RIBase
Only been out once myself,off the coast of Dunbar,was a nice day and water flat calm,never been out since.
Old 20 May 2015, 08:41   #6

Town: Oop North
Quote:
Good for you getting out and braving it, this is truly one **** year of weather so far, sitting here just over a week from June and feel like putting the heating on and we are still waiting for our first sea trip of the year...
I know what you mean about the heating.

I,ve managed 5 trips out up till now this year, 2 in April, for one little codling and 3 this month with the fishing starting to pick up.

Nothing big, most in the 2 - 3lb range. These from the previous trip.

By the time they'd been dished out to family and friends, there was enough left for a fish supper and a couple in the freezer.
If we'd been picking up fish yesterday, we'd have probably toughed it out.

Also had a Blyth trawler come mooching inside of us checking out the ground.

The local potters won't be happy if he comes back.

Old 20 May 2015, 19:12   #7

Length: 10m +
This is interesting reading about your unusual weather. It has been a crazy year for all of us as well. We've been through a major drought for the last couple of years and this year has been a lot cooler with a lot of rain.
Old 20 May 2015, 19:43   #8

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
This is interesting reading about your unusual weather. It has been a crazy year for all of us as well. We've been through a major drought for the last couple of years and this year has been a lot cooler with a lot of rain.
Nah, this is just the usual UK weather, ie cr@p!