Old 17 September 2018, 17:04   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Lifting your 20 hp

Many people on here seem to have 20 hp 4 strokes on their Sibs 54KG ish. I was wondering how you move this monster outboard from car to Sib etc and down to your launch point without getting a knackered back or a rupture to your wedding Tackle. I assume your are not trailing the sibs all the time. If your are I understand fully

Dennis
Old 17 September 2018, 18:06   #2

Brute force is normally the way, I park right on the slipway so everything is not far to muscle. I’ve got a merc 15 super tuned to 18 so at 41 kilos and just 2 shy of 20 it’s perfect for my futura. 2 strokes are much lighter but getting hold of good ones are rare.
Old 17 September 2018, 19:29   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Sack barrow
Old 17 September 2018, 20:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Sack barrow
You still have to lift it on and off and into the car etc however
Old 17 September 2018, 21:07   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
BP having hurt my back moving farm eqpt 20yrs ago I have to be careful I don't put myself out of action during a boating day out or holiday. As I hit my 60s I had to take more care and while I used all the crafty methods boot-trolley-boat etc it was those short in between bits you mention above that caused me to downgrade recently from an... albeit light for its size... 44kg bulky 20hp to the current neat 9.9 Mariner. In the future we may need to go for a Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke... or a trailed boat which first needs at home daughter to leave and free up garage/drive space.
Old 17 September 2018, 22:40   #6

Town: plymouth
Boat name: Rivvet
Make: Waveline
Engine: 20HP Tohatsu MFS20E
MMSI: 235916765
Well after some deliberation I'm waiting on the new Tohatsu 2018 20hp to arrive in UK - at 43kg I hope its worth the extra dosh to save the weight but have the power/

I have a wheeled stand so will use that to shift it to the boat..
Old 18 September 2018, 06:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Well after some deliberation I'm waiting on the new Tohatsu 2018 20hp to arrive in UK - at 43kg I hope its worth the extra dosh to save the weight but have the power/

I have a wheeled stand so will use that to shift it to the boat..
Now that is interesting I did not know they were bringing one out at that weight

What is the UK Price

Dennis
Old 18 September 2018, 07:34   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
You still have to lift it on and off and into the car etc however
no you dont you need to look at gurnards set up he floats his boat under the engine on and off in the car he rests one end on the boot floor of his 4x4 lifts the bottom and pushes in job done, if you dont want to lift the engine its a trailer no getting round it.
Old 18 September 2018, 07:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
no you dont you need to look at gurnards set up he floats his boat under the engine on and off in the car he rests one end on the boot floor of his 4x4 lifts the bottom and pushes in job done, if you dont want to lift the engine its a trailer no getting round it.
Interesting you can rely on The Gurnard to work a clever way. Are their any threads on what Donny does.

Just finishing watching no 8 of your trip round Skye looks lovely. The whole point of me buying the T38IE is to do things like you chaps are doing but taking our caravan so want to avoid trailer as cant tow 2 things at once. I already have 2 other ribs on trailers.

The midges don't seem like much fun though
Old 18 September 2018, 07:52   #10

Town: plymouth
Boat name: Rivvet
Make: Waveline
Engine: 20HP Tohatsu MFS20E
MMSI: 235916765
Quote:
Now that is interesting I did not know they were bringing one out at that weight

What is the UK Price

Dennis
Around £2400 - same as the Mariner (which is quotes at 45kg). Due to arrive at end of month. Mine is around 30kg at present which is fine to shift around, I tried some 50kg ones but just to heavy so hoping 43 is ok!
Old 18 September 2018, 08:14   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Interesting you can rely on The Gurnard to work a clever way. Are their any threads on what Donny does.

Just finishing watching no 8 of your trip round Skye looks lovely. The whole point of me buying the T38IE is to do things like you chaps are doing but taking our caravan so want to avoid trailer as cant tow 2 things at once. I already have 2 other ribs on trailers.

The midges don't seem like much fun though
i'm sure he's done a thread on it seen him do it simple, yep its great fun midges are a pain but a net and spray help, if i was you with your set up i would buy a launch trolly around the £200 mark or less not for road use but better than transom wheels, engine on a sack barrow if you can fit it in the car is a must set up so the clamps are set outward.
something like this
https://shop.titaps.com/Foldable-Lau...BoCYjYQAvD_BwE
Old 18 September 2018, 08:27   #12

Yes I don't like the transom wheels on the T38 as they have to get over the stick out floor at the back. Launch trolly seems the thing.

Now about to get the new boat out of the box and pump it all up for the first time. Was going to test for the first time but blowing a gale here today

Dennis
Old 18 September 2018, 09:02   #13

RIBase
what i found with transom wheels was too much overhang to the bow making it very heavy to lift so bined them.
the launch trolly could possibly be upgraded wheel wise if required, everything is a compromise, in the past i have just put mine in a marina for the week i know it costs but when on hols i want an easy life not pulling my plums off.

good luck with the set up and get on one of the sib outings next season we all learn from each others ideas great fun and a few beers round a camp fire.
Old 18 September 2018, 16:15   #14

Town: London
Boat name: Hebe
Make: Windy Chinook
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo Penta IPS 600
MMSI: -
Firstly, with two people, circa 50kg of 4-stroke 20hp is pretty easy provided you plan ahead.

Solo is more tricky but taking it slowly and planning ahead usually meant I had no problems. I found attaching a carry sling assisted greatly by giving a proper secure grip. Modern outboards seem to be a bit lacking in good solid handles. That said, the one situation I wouldn't fancy is carrying it down a shingle or similar beach with a poor surface.
Old 19 September 2018, 10:54   #15

Town: Bristol
Boat name: BigRed
Make: Wetline 450HD
Engine: 40/20 1970s Mariners
I have a 53kg 20hp and a 73kg 40hp, which I take from back of van to boat and back. Due to weight and sand transom wheels do not work alas - tried and failed! Fine if there are 3 of you else the wheels just bog down.

So.... I made a cradle for the engines that I use with a sack truck. Done right I never have to take the full weight of the engine, generally only half weight for a very short amount of time.

The cradle is made from wood. It supports the skeg at the bottom, and cradles the head at the top, with a bit of rope to keep the head in position.

The engine sits in the cradle so the clamp faces out. The cradle lies in the back of the van with the engine in it.

1, slide cradle out lowering foot to the floor. Cradle then tipped upright onto its foot.

2, Sack truck under cradle, clamps facing out. Cradle designed to slot over sack truck uprights for security.

3, Set boat up and launch. Get someone to hold boat steady. Wheel engine to back of boat. Roughly line up with transom, unhook the engine securing rope, pivot engine such that clamps neatly fall over transom. After a couple of goes this is easy - so long as the water is relatively calm ;-)

Coming back in just reverse the process. Position cradle behind boat with skeg already rest in cradle foot. Pivot engine off of the transom resting it back into the cradle and secure with rope. THis is the heaviest I ever lift - probably 2/3 engine weight for half a second. Sack track back to van. Sack track out the way, spin cradle on its foot. Tip over until head of cradle rests in back of van. Lift the leg and slide in.... Beer!!!
Old 19 September 2018, 13:49   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfool View Post
I have a 53kg 20hp and a 73kg 40hp, which I take from back of van to boat and back. Due to weight and sand transom wheels do not work alas - tried and failed! Fine if there are 3 of you else the wheels just bog down.

So.... I made a cradle for the engines that I use with a sack truck. Done right I never have to take the full weight of the engine, generally only half weight for a very short amount of time.

The cradle is made from wood. It supports the skeg at the bottom, and cradles the head at the top, with a bit of rope to keep the head in position.

The engine sits in the cradle so the clamp faces out. The cradle lies in the back of the van with the engine in it.

1, slide cradle out lowering foot to the floor. Cradle then tipped upright onto its foot.

2, Sack truck under cradle, clamps facing out. Cradle designed to slot over sack truck uprights for security.

3, Set boat up and launch. Get someone to hold boat steady. Wheel engine to back of boat. Roughly line up with transom, unhook the engine securing rope, pivot engine such that clamps neatly fall over transom. After a couple of goes this is easy - so long as the water is relatively calm ;-)

Coming back in just reverse the process. Position cradle behind boat with skeg already rest in cradle foot. Pivot engine off of the transom resting it back into the cradle and secure with rope. THis is the heaviest I ever lift - probably 2/3 engine weight for half a second. Sack track back to van. Sack track out the way, spin cradle on its foot. Tip over until head of cradle rests in back of van. Lift the leg and slide in.... Beer!!!
Thant sounds very interesting. Have you got a pic of your cradle contraption.

I just bought a sack truck to make an ordinary Outboard Stand.
Old 20 September 2018, 02:08   #17

My Suzuki 20 hp 4-stroke is 44kg....97 lbs in my corner of the world. I believe Fenlander has the same motor, he could probably confirm the weight. I can handle it for short distances, (Ford truck to transom) pulling it off the motor stand and carrying it 5 feet or more. 62 years old, not the same muscle mass as a 30 year old!
Old 20 September 2018, 07:35   #18

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Ha well yes... I did. But have just downgraded to a 10hp as mentioned upthread... even the "light" 44kg Suzuki was getting a struggle at times. We all have different strength/comfort ability and how/where we need to handle the OB makes a huge difference. For example with the Suzuki 20 I needed the trolley to move it about but the trolley hardly fitted in the car with the rest of the gear triggering the need/nuisance of the roofbox.
Old 20 September 2018, 14:26   #19

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
I have the 20hp Suzuki and can manage but in ten years time I will also struggle to lift it as I now find my 25hp Suzuki hard to lift now any long distance can just about get it out the boot [emoji28]
Old 20 September 2018, 16:49   #20

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Here is the US pickup trucks are popular and if I didn't build my boat at home with an electric hoist I would use one of these. Using removable thumb screws. You can also get hitch mounting attachments. With this you can have the outboard you really wish you had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22955.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	126964