Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 16 August 2021, 11:45   #1

Town: Manchester
Make: Avon S250
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 9.8
Leaving the sib on the beach overnight at rhosneigr

I will be staying right next to the beachfront at rhosneigr is is ok to leave the sib minus engine on the beach next property overnight. Just the thought of of packing unpacking every day not very appealing.

Looked on google earth a a fair few small boats seem to be pulled up on the sand.

Cheers

Mike
Old 16 August 2021, 21:33   #2

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
There are a few small sibs that look like they've been there a few years but if yours looks tidy I'm not sure I would risk it.
Do you have transom wheels? Could you not store it at the property?
Old 17 August 2021, 05:25   #3

Property literally overlooks beach. Garden wall then a drop to beach. Steps down to beach from road. It’s further up than the access point so to bring the boat up and down the steps daily would involve breaking it down and deflating inflating daily.

Was hoping to just plonk the engine on and roll it down to the water daily. Thinking I will just leave with the other boats chained to a heavy weight. Fortunately for me at 9.8hp there is no launch fee to the council otherwise it would be twenty pounds a day or perhaps launch, not sure how it works if you leave the boat hauled up for the week?

Currently looking at the weather forecast and praying for next week!
Old 17 August 2021, 07:15   #4

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
Have you registered with council though? You will need to register the boat.
Yes, below 10hp is no launch fee but I pay annual launch pass as it means I can park on the beach. Much easier! �� �� ��
Old 17 August 2021, 07:58   #5

Yes will register at the slip. Insurance etc in place. It’s only a small sib Avon s250 about 3.2m, So not going far just a few trips locally maybe a spot of fishing. I did look google earth and considered going around Holy island however not sure it’s big enough for the area around south stack. Used to climb and would be nice to look at the routes I did when younger from the sea.

Worst case scenario I will just carry it down the steps and assemble it daily however determined to launch it this year as not had much use at all in recent times

However hopefully weather good and conditions calm so will see how it goes
Old 21 August 2021, 02:38   #6
Spammer

People can surprise you.

I wouldn't leave anything I value, unlocked or out of sight.

I hope no one steals your boat
Old 21 August 2021, 07:30   #7

Unfortunately villains exist however so does insurance so it’s going to be balanced out in a sort of way. Boat will by chained up and to be frank there are far fancier and more youthful boats than my old rubber and plywood craft.

Fingers crossed for sunshine soon!
Old 21 August 2021, 09:47   #8

Town: Leicester
Make: Yam
I am very lazy and leave mine at various dinghy parks, harbours, estuaries etc when on holiday. Usually with the engine attached. There is always a nicer boat to get stolen.
Old 21 August 2021, 12:23   #9

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
In truth the chances of any one small SIB being stolen at any one location for any one short period is probably loads less than our concerns it might happen.

I've had mine estuary moored for two weeks where in truth it could have been taken any time which obviously I would have hated but the trade off of a great holiday was worth that small risk.
Old 21 August 2021, 12:51   #10

Leaving the boat on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
In truth the chances of any one small SIB being stolen at any one location for any one short period is probably loads less than our concerns it might happen.

I've had mine estuary moored for two weeks where in truth it could have been taken any time which obviously I would have hated but the trade off of a great holiday was worth that small risk.
My thoughts exactly. Life has all sorts of risks and the holiday experience is what the boat is for. Just loaded the thing in the van setting off soon. Forecast today is wet, however the week is improving. As it seems your running same engine as me 9.8 Tohatsu what kind or fuel consumption can I expect. I have a 12 L tank and am thinking of taking a spare 5l can as a reserve.
Old 21 August 2021, 21:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidalwave2.7 View Post
My thoughts exactly. Life has all sorts of risks and the holiday experience is what the boat is for. Just loaded the thing in the van setting off soon. Forecast today is wet, however the week is improving. As it seems your running same engine as me 9.8 Tohatsu what kind or fuel consumption can I expect. I have a 12 L tank and am thinking of taking a spare 5l can as a reserve.
I think that's the right attitude!

Fuel wise I have a 15hp 2 stroke, and even though they are apparently rubbish on fuel, I find a 12.5l can will last a long time. If I am fishing - motoring, then drifting, then motoring for a bit etc the tank will last several days. My longest passage was about 25 miles and this only burnt half a can. Obviously keep an eye on it, but I think for normal messing about (I. E. Not long passages) you will struggle to burn half of that tank in a day.
Old 21 August 2021, 22:12   #12

>>> 9.8 Tohatsu (2-stroke) what kind or fuel consumption can I expect.

I measured this earlier in the year. On the sea in lively conditions with a good mix of trolling through the moorings, on/off the throttle in a bumpy sea and flat out speed testing we used a whisker under 5l for 15Nm.

I use the old rule... third out, third back, third in reserve... so 24Nm safe range on the 12l tank with the third left in reserve.

We have some nice quality cans in both 5l and 10l sizes which together with the 12l tank would increase our safe range to 34Nm and 44Nm respectively.... or 54Nm with the tank and both cans. Those combos would more than do us for any day out sibbing.
Old 21 August 2021, 22:15   #13

Thanks for the information. I will try to keep a record of use this week and see how it goes.

I am hoping to catch some fish myself but it’s been a while since I tried so not expecting great things. No matter though I will enjoy the down time and the whole experience.

Just getting away from home after the Covid lockdown is enough and I am fortunate to have a lovely house right on the beach on Anglesey so can’t complain.
Old 21 August 2021, 22:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidalwave2.7 View Post
Thanks for the information. I will try to keep a record of use this week and see how it goes.

I am hoping to catch some fish myself but it’s been a while since I tried so not expecting great things. No matter though I will enjoy the down time and the whole experience.

Just getting away from home after the Covid lockdown is enough and I am fortunate to have a lovely house right on the beach on Anglesey so can’t complain.

Fishing, Now we're talking!

Do you have navionics on your phone. Very useful for finding bits of rough ground / rocks.
Old 21 August 2021, 22:27   #15

>>> house right on the beach on Anglesey

Funnily enough just watched a TV program about Anglesey because it's on a list of possibles for 2022-on when we hope to get away loads more. Mrs F visited Valley for work many times over the past ten years and always said it would be a great area for sibbing.
Old 22 August 2021, 07:16   #16

We have a family visit annually normally this week every year. House is at 55 seconds with the white car outside. This video gives a good view of Rhosneigr however there are lots of places that look good also for boating.

https://youtu.be/PfAJdD5nPOw

This fellow does some nice drone footage. My parents moved to the island in the 80’s so I know it well.
Old 22 August 2021, 19:51   #17

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
We stayed on the shores of Coniston a couple of years ago, the weather was beautiful, and there was a long path from the property to a small beach.

At first l heaved the engine all the way back up the path every night (Tohatsu 9.8)
But after a couple of days l thought sod it, and just pullled the boat up on the shore and covered the engine with a towel.

Nothing happened, the boat and engine were still there every morning and we had a great week with many boat trips on the lake.
Old 22 August 2021, 20:23   #18

Yep. Most likely what I will end up doing. As you say it’s all about the pleasure of using the thing rather than dragging it around.