Old 01 July 2012, 20:22   #1

Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Launching at whistable kent

Anyone have any info about launching at Whitstable in Kent?

I've seen on boat launch that there's a slipway.

Any info on parking, slipway charges and any other info I may need will be appreciated.

Hoping to launch there on Saturday weather permitting.
Old 01 July 2012, 20:34   #2

Town: East Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
Ahhh .. theres a couple.

The one by the Continental I think its owned now by the Waterski club, although the Scouts also have access to the slip.

The second item is actually off the beach (but that may only be with the Scouts), theres some stuff before the scout hut.

The third option is on the public slip by the Yacht Club. We've done it a few times, and its "OK".

Another option is directly from Herne Bay (which has a car park and proper slip), and a 5 minute hoof over to Whitstable.
Old 01 July 2012, 20:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by horacebat
Ahhh .. theres a couple.

The one by the Continental I think its owned now by the Waterski club, although the Scouts also have access to the slip.

The second item is actually off the beach (but that may only be with the Scouts), theres some stuff before the scout hut.

The third option is on the public slip by the Yacht Club. We've done it a few times, and its "OK".

Another option is directly from Herne Bay (which has a car park and proper slip), and a 5 minute hoof over to Whitstable.
Thanks for that, might look at Herne bay then. Is Herne bay slip affected by the tide? My SIB is hand launched on launch wheels so don't need to worry about trailering.
Old 02 July 2012, 17:55   #4

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
Hi we were there at w/e, couple of slips big one at Herne bay into small harbour usable about 3hrs either side of h/w dries out to sloppy mud, also a smaller one other side of car park which gives you a bit longer to retreive if late back big car park at top of slip for car and trailer free to launch but carpark £10all day for c and t.coins in p/meter there is also a wooded slip at hampton rd but not very good/safe for vehicles poss ok if using launch wheels, hope fuly actions may help as he lives there and has been helpful to me in past.
Old 02 July 2012, 18:22   #5

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Here I am

Whitstable - Perfectly usable slipramp (wooden) at the edge of the harbour in front of the RNLI building. Useable about 2+1/2 hours either side of high tide and dries to fairly solid sand so perfect for sib with wheels. If launching with a car may need use of a rope if wet as can be slippy.

Parking wise there is plenty of parking around whitstable but very limited in the harbour and on Saturday you'll struggle. Gorrell Tank is a couple of mins walk away and is huge.

Herne Bay - Perfect and in my opnion the one i'd use.
Main slip is useable 3hrs either side of tide and dries to soft "sinking" mud so you can not walk out on it. There is as mentioned a smaller ramp the other side of the car park opposite the cafe which is useable at most states of the tide bar lowest and dries to fairly solid sand so ideal for sib.

Parking - Lots of parking available but can get very busy on weekend. £10 for Car and trailer, or leave trailer in a small trailer bay for free and park car on other side for a few pounds. If this is busy then opposite is the divers arms public house and another car park down that side road which is about 30 seconds away. Alternatively a lot of people launch and get a friend to drive car along seafront towards hampton, park on road for free and jump in boat in beach.

Hampton - Wooden ramp dries and sea goes out some distance. Useable 2 hours either side of HW. Lots of parking and all free. Gets slippy under foot and maybe not that great for sib as wheels may get stuck on ramp.

Herne Bay has the added benefit of it being staffed at weekends and they are very very helpful. His name is Doug and sits in the hut by the ramp.

Well hope that lots helps and have a great day out
Old 02 July 2012, 18:25   #6

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Red May
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp Honda 4 Stroke
MMSI: Is quite long
Send a message via Skype™ to actions
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRevor Lawson View Post
Hi we were there at w/e.
Forgot to ask, how did you get on, was the wind ok or did it move more westerly. I've been working all weekend so never got a chance to pop my head out to have a look.
Old 02 July 2012, 20:47   #7

aha ... well keep an eye out for a bright yellow small Ribcraft, we'll be around Friday evening and Saturday.

Theres gonna be 100 or so Scouts out on the water over the weekend (weather forgiving).

We've got a tractor to get us in, so not so much of an issue. Even so I've seen boats end up "upside down" from a launch so a bit of care is required.
Old 02 July 2012, 21:02   #8

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
Matt yes we took boat out from Herne bay sun about 9.45 till about 1.00pm wind was more westerly, sea a bit choppy going to whit direction but good comming back, as we had friends with children with us we only stayed around bay area so all got a go went round end of pier very rough but ok . good day out thanks again for your advice.

Trev
Old 02 July 2012, 22:20   #9

Thanks for all the help.
Will have to wait and see what the weather does.
Old 08 July 2012, 09:42   #10

and the weather was great yesterday and on Friday, did you make it out? ... we'd been out and did see the lifeboat return on Friday.

Rescue mission for rescue equipment
Old 26 May 2018, 07:47   #11

Town: Nonington
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 9.9
chrisbl

Hi, thanks for the thread. I am from Canterbury and just bought my first SIB, 3.8 Honwave; 9.9 mariner, so looking to get out first time this weekend. was planning on either Hampton Pier or Whitsable, but like the look and advice to go from Herne Bay.

Can anyone else give me more exact info on that? are you allowed to motor in the harbour area there?

thanks for the advice and would love to meet another Sib owner who goes from north kent coast.

Chris
Old 26 May 2018, 08:12   #12

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
RE Herne Bay: I think it's Doug that still works there, Scottish fella - seek him out and have a natter, as said he's very helpful, couldn't have been more decent and informative

I launched from the large slip and it was simple, there's a 10mph limit in the sheltered area once you launch from the large slip so you could potter around in that area when there's enough water to do so before you get your 'sea legs'. If the weather is good the slip and the sheltered area can be busy so obviously keep an eye out for other craft launching or returning

I was given a cut off point of 715pm that day to use the large slip but came back at 8pm and used the small slip, fine with the launch wheels. The water disappears quite rapidly 2-3 hours after high tide on a spring so if using the little slip you'd have quite a walk back but it's hard sand so ok if you need. The large slip is mud as mentioned so forget about it if not in the correct time

I usually park up my vehicle and set up the boat in a parking space next to it, the main car park was packed so no chance. The attendant said it would be OK to set up/launch from the large slip as it wasn't busy which I did, if the slip is busy the larger car park which is for vehicles with trailers should give you enough space to get things set up and you can go back to the other car park and walk back - unless you're trailering

Packing up I had the car park to myself
Old 26 May 2018, 08:18   #13

thank you for that. Any experience with Hampton Pier slipway and launch? from google maps, that doesn't look too bad. I am trailoring, but with my lads along we can easily lift and carry SIB including motor a fair way.

any advice on the weather tomorrow?
Old 28 May 2018, 12:52   #14

we got out Sunday right at high tide, 12:20 and stayed out for a couple hours. Beautifull weather, but sea was a bit rough and rolling; still a good time for the family. We went in at Hampton Pier and it was fine. I like the free car park.

Has anyone put in at Oare marsh? is there a slipway there? just interested. Otherwise my next outing will be from Sandwich Bay, right off the beach at high tide.
Old 31 May 2018, 08:51   #15

Town: Kent
Make: Honwave T32
Engine: 5hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
RE Herne Bay:

I launched from the large slip and it was simple, there's a 10mph limit in the sheltered area once you launch from the large slip so you could potter around in that area when there's enough water to do so before you get your 'sea legs'. If the weather is good the slip and the sheltered area can be busy so obviously keep an eye out for other craft launching or returning

Would my 5hp 2 stroke be enough to pull my Honwave T32 (2 adults) around this sheltered area safely? I'm a river boater but having recently done my RYA Power Boat 2 course and VHF radio license, I am ready to venture out but haven't been able to upgrade the old motor yet!!
Old 31 May 2018, 09:27   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
Would my 5hp 2 stroke be enough to pull my Honwave T32 (2 adults) around this sheltered area safely? I'm a river boater but having recently done my RYA Power Boat 2 course and VHF radio license, I am ready to venture out but haven't been able to upgrade the old motor yet!!
Yes I'd say so, pick your moment and if time perhaps go early and watch the useable area of water for depths, there might be more to the left as you look out from the slip. Once around the point it was sea conditions, any inside felt like sheltered water to me

Obviously take all safety precautions you normally would, lifejackets, radio and anchor at least

I had a 2.2hp with three adults on a 3.2 Honwave a few weeks ago on a canal and the boat went along well enough and could be controlled, 5hp should be enough to power you around and depending on time of day and conditions you might be able to stick your nose out into the sea

I'm no expert in this section of coast and the opinions are based on my own sea experience and confidence
Old 31 May 2018, 10:22   #17

Town: Kent
Make: Honwave T32
Engine: 5hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
Yes I'd say so, pick your moment and if time perhaps go early and watch the useable area of water for depths, there might be more to the left as you look out from the slip. Once around the point it was sea conditions, any inside felt like sheltered water to me

Obviously take all safety precautions you normally would, lifejackets, radio and anchor at least

I had a 2.2hp with three adults on a 3.2 Honwave a few weeks ago on a canal and the boat went along well enough and could be controlled, 5hp should be enough to power you around and depending on time of day and conditions you might be able to stick your nose out into the sea

I'm no expert in this section of coast and the opinions are based on my own sea experience and confidence
Thanks for that. I certainly wouldn't venture too far out and would pick a nice calm day.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:32   #18

yes, I think your 5 hp would do fine in that small bay, although out on the open sea unless its glass, you may struggle
I am from down Canterbury way, so where are you in Kent?  maybe we can rendezvous sometime this summer with our Sibs; I will be out this Sunday on Sandwich Bay..hoping for good weather.
Old 31 May 2018, 10:35   #19

If the weather looks good for the day and the tide is an early morning one that would be about right to get the glass state mentioned, or a late afternoon early evening tide as the Summer breezes (convection) calms down - changes sea state. Rough rule of thumb in Devon as least and it felt similar in Herne Bay last time
Old 31 May 2018, 12:24   #20

Town: St Albans
Boat name: Red Rum
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
Hi all,

Nice to boat-meet you. I have built my sea confidence up in Mersea and looking to explore new areas. Kent is within a reasonable distance to me and I have already looked at Oare Marsh and Herne Bay launch sites. I would be interested in planning a SIB outing one weekend.