Old 17 October 2021, 19:47   #1

Town: Muscat
Length: 4m +
Launching a Large SIB

Hello experts!
I just purchased a 4.7m (15'4") SIB with aluminum floor. Haven't used it yet. I purchased a bigger one because I thought it will be more stable (!)

With floor it's heavy 250 lbs/110 kg.

I'm now wondering if it's practical or possible to launch it from the BEACH with transom by two persons. At some places the water line is less than 50m from the street and the sand is compact other than a stretch of 3ft/1m.

(Background info: Oman has a very long coastline with fishing as a traditional profession for many. But unfortunately equipment for leisure amateur boating isn't easily available. Not even a launching trolley.)

Is it feasible to launch with transom wheels or does it need another solution?
Thanks
Old 17 October 2021, 20:05   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I found that the transom wheels are too far back with a large boat so you’re lifting most of the boat so I trailer it much easier but you can use a bow dolly which is basically a third wheel to support the weight.

Welcome
Old 17 October 2021, 20:08   #3

Length: 3m +
You'd probably want good quality wheels and maybe consider carrying the motor to the water?

My 4m is 66kg and the engine 24kg. With tank and kit it's probably 110kg+ and it's fine on reasonable wheels but I'm not convinced it would the wheels would take much more and did beef them up by slotting solid aluminium rods through the stub axles.

Being nearly 5m and 110kg it'll be reasonable graft for one person.
Old 17 October 2021, 20:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
You'd probably want good quality wheels and maybe consider carrying the motor to the water?

My 4m is 66kg and the engine 24kg. With tank and kit it's probably 110kg+ and it's fine on reasonable wheels but I'm not convinced it would the wheels would take much more and did beef them up by slotting solid aluminium rods through the stub axles.

Thanks for the ideas. Outboard is Mariner 15 hp 2 stroke about 42 kg. Waterline is fortunately only one-minute walk.
Old 17 October 2021, 20:26   #5

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Trailer made from an old axle and some timber/steel? Sand (especially soft sand is hard work, guess not much tide? Rise and fall of water level?

How will you transport bot? Deflated in car?
Old 17 October 2021, 20:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I found that the transom wheels are too far back with a large boat so you’re lifting most of the boat so I trailer it much easier but you can use a bow dolly which is basically a third wheel to support the weight.

Welcome
Thank you. Yes that's what I thought that it the wheels at the extreme rear then we need to lift to entire weight.
Even a bow dolly isn't readily available. I'll need to import it or ask someone to make it.

Are transom wheels that curl under the boat going to work better? I can try to get custom made with longish arms, if that can help?
Old 17 October 2021, 20:39   #7

Not much tide and many beaches are very calm like a lake most of the time.
Yes. I was planning to transport deflated, although it takes a lot of space in my vehicle (Ford Explorer).
Probably larger SIBs defeat the purpose of having an inflatable boat).
As a last resort, I may ask someone to make a light trailer. But that will requires some convincing. Here people who know trade here usually don't want to do any newish work. I needed to ask more than 10 blacksmiths to make a simple outboard trolley!
Old 17 October 2021, 20:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Trailer made from an old axle and some timber/steel? Sand (especially soft sand is hard work, guess not much tide? Rise and fall of water level?

How will you transport bot? Deflated in car?
Yes. I was planning to transport deflated, although it takes a lot of space in my vehicle (Ford Explorer).
Probably larger SIBs defeat the purpose of having an inflatable boat!

As a last resort, I may ask someone to make a light trailer. But that will requires some convincing. Here people who know trade here usually don't want to do any newish work. I needed to ask more than 10 blacksmiths to make a simple outboard trolley!
Old 17 October 2021, 21:30   #9

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by farooqmoazzam View Post
Probably larger SIBs defeat the purpose of having an inflatable boat!

I guess the real question is why such a large sib and not a hard boat? Or put sib on roof of explorer drive to waters edge unload sib and mount motor 1m from water bow on water transom on sand and then heave!!!!
Old 18 October 2021, 00:24   #10
Spammer

I launch from a beach without transom wheels all the time.

Use google maps satellite view and find a spot where you can park close to the water. If you can't park close, at least get the car as close to the water as you can...drop everything off... then park the car wherever you want. The goal is to drop off all your heavy gear as close to the water as possible, reducing the distance you have to manually carry everything.

From the drop off spot , carry all the equipment as close to the water's edge as possible, and setup on the beach. Carry the boat , outboard, floorboards separately. As long as the parts are separate, it's possible for one person manage everything by himself without transom wheels.

Inflate the boat, put it in the water and drop an anchor. Load the outboard while your boat is in the water, connect your gas and you're good to go.

Reverse the process to pack up. Simple.
Old 18 October 2021, 09:19   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. Outboard is Mariner 15 hp 2 stroke about 42 kg. Waterline is fortunately only one-minute walk.
My typo last night. My put out is 34kg. A Mariner 15 2 stroke.

If you need to get all the metal parts fabricated then can you get the car down to the waterline and put everything together?

Hyperlon beach rollers might be of use in some conditions?
Old 18 October 2021, 11:33   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Thank you. Yes that's what I thought that it the wheels at the extreme rear then we need to lift to entire weight.
Even a bow dolly isn't readily available. I'll need to import it or ask someone to make it.

Are transom wheels that curl under the boat going to work better? I can try to get custom made with longish arms, if that can help?
My wheels did point under the boat still very heavy
Old 18 October 2021, 12:14   #13

Town: ...
Boat name: none
Make: Honwave 3.5-AE
Engine: Mariner 6hp
With transom wheels you will be lifting roughly half the boat weight assuming the boat is uniform, which of course it isn't. With two, one can lift the bow and the other push from the rear.
Old 18 October 2021, 12:44   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
My boat is a similar weight to that. It might be theoretically possible on the perfect beach to move it - but as soon as you put an engine on it, or fuel tank and gear in it you will go from maybe being able to do something if you are lucky/careful to having no hope. If you happen to take a wave over the back you’ll need to bail it out to move etc …. Don’t do it!

There are some folding trolleys around that might be better (and hassle of import may be easier than getting made locally) but I’d still want to be able to pull out with the car for those days you have the engine on a few buckets of water in the bilge and anything other than a perfect slipway!
Old 18 October 2021, 16:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
I guess the real question is why such a large sib and not a hard boat? Or put sib on roof of explorer drive to waters edge unload sib and mount motor 1m from water bow on water transom on sand and then heave!!!!
That's a very valid question! I opted for SIB because of easy storage and mobility, but a large SIB isn't really easy to carry and assemble. If one must use a trailer then why not a hard boat... Which can be even pushed into water with the car.

I thought of the roof but lifting that size/weight at over 6 feet height is challenging. And unlike kayaks or rigid boats, it's not rigid enough to slide.
Old 18 October 2021, 16:35   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
My boat is a similar weight to that. It might be theoretically possible on the perfect beach to move it - but as soon as you put an engine on it, or fuel tank and gear in it you will go from maybe being able to do something if you are lucky/careful to having no hope. If you happen to take a wave over the back you’ll need to bail it out to move etc …. Don’t do it!

There are some folding trolleys around that might be better (and hassle of import may be easier than getting made locally) but I’d still want to be able to pull out with the car for those days you have the engine on a few buckets of water in the bilge and anything other than a perfect slipway!
Thank you! So a trolley looks like the best way.
Do you have any videos of your boat in public domain?
Old 18 October 2021, 17:55   #17

Quote:
My typo last night. My put out is 34kg. A Mariner 15 2 stroke.

If you need to get all the metal parts fabricated then can you get the car down to the waterline and put everything together?

Hyperlon beach rollers might be of use in some conditions?
Yes, prolly getting it shipped could be easier. Thanks for the idea of the roller. I'll see if that's feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
My wheels did point under the boat still very heavy
Thanks for the feedback, so the curled ones aren't going to make much difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billows View Post
With transom wheels you will be lifting roughly half the boat weight assuming the boat is uniform, which of course it isn't. With two, one can lift the bow and the other push from the rear.
Thank you. Yes, I think I need to go and try it out.
Old 18 October 2021, 23:18   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Thank you! So a trolley looks like the best way.
Do you have any videos of your boat in public domain?
there will be pics/video of my boat on the site somewhere - its not a sib, its a 3.9m plastic hulled boat... she lives on a trailer.
Old 19 October 2021, 08:32   #19
Trade member

Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Quote:

I'm not sure which wheels you have, but there are wheels which are rated for heavier than 110kg. Ceredi make a 200kg max weight set: https://www.ribstore.co.uk/products/...7eeeff60&_ss=r
Old 19 October 2021, 09:16   #20

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Faro, I was in your position. Large heavy SIB. Realising our mistake early and selling it for a RIB was the best thing ever.

Tags
beach launching, large sib, launching sib, sib, transom wheels