Old 05 September 2020, 15:51   #1

Make: aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Aerotec Floor issues/questions

Hi i have an Aerotec 380 which i bought from a member on here many years ago.
I love the boat but i am having real problems with the floor. It has in excess of 20 patches on the floor, various sizes some good , some bad . All on the underside and around the edges. It has been leaking air from the edges of a couple of these patches and im feeling a bit overwhelmed about how to rectify this!
I guess i would have to strip all the old patches and adhesive off and try and start again protecting all the edges with some larger continuous type patches, i know nasher did a very good repair in this fashion. My questions are where can i obtain the thinner type pvc and do i need it inflated while i patch it and do i need to weight the patches etc. Just not wanting to make a hash of it.Failing that can anyone recomend a company that could make a proper job of repairing or a member? I would dearly like a new floor but am aware they are no longer in production , ae there companies that could make a copy if i sent my original to them ?
Thanks , Will
Old 05 September 2020, 16:50   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
If the the edge of the floor is going in multiple places this is going to be a challenging repair. The standard material as supplied by Ribshop type folks should work OK if cut and shaped correctly.

PVC fabric material for Ribs and inflatable boats

Another option is to look out for an Aerotec with failed transom/floor glue but a better floor than yours. There was such a boat sold on here recently so although rare they do come up.
Old 05 September 2020, 17:28   #3

Yes thank you for the response, I will have been looking out for one recently and missed one on ebay a couple of weeks ago. I suppose I will have a go at repair but I think I definitely need a new floor, do the floors de glue like the transom does eventually on these boats?
Old 05 September 2020, 17:43   #4

There were changes over the years in floor construction and a good part of them is now welded. But yes all the places the floor is glued can come apart with age.
Old 05 September 2020, 18:47   #5

Oh OK thanks, not even sure what year mine is. I will order some glue and material and try a repair so as I can at least carry on using the boat for now, touch wood I think the transom and tubes are all OK and holding strong. Such a good boat I don't know what I would buy in the absence of it. Need something that goes in the boot and I can launch myself easily on the beach.
Old 05 September 2020, 19:14   #6

Looking at alternative options long term
Does anyone know how something like this would compare to the sea keeping ability of the aerotec
https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/Rib-Tenders-for-sale/3d-tender-34kg-super-lightweight-310-alloy-hull-4-person-rib/292957
Obviously a bit shorter and I would have to try and put it on a roof rack or something.
Old 06 September 2020, 14:55   #7

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Length: 4m +
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
I had a bombard 380 with same issues nasher on here helped me with advice on how to repair the floor edges and still going strong , it was where the fuel had over years gone on the floor near the transform mine went , made wooden mold to help form and clamp the patch , maybe post some pictures of the problem areas the floor edges around transform is tricky but doable
Old 06 September 2020, 20:47   #8

I have tried attaching some pictures , i think the floor on mine is welded so hopefully i can clean it all up and try and make a decent repair, at least i wont be in danger of the thing coming apart when im cleaning all the old glue off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200904_135950.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	134987   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200904_135953.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	134988   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200904_140440.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	134989   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200904_140605.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	134990   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200904_143636.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	134991  

Old 06 September 2020, 20:49   #9

Also leaking from the valve but not sure how to sort this , can you ptfe the thread?! seems to be escaping from the large metal thread .
Old 06 September 2020, 20:55   #10

The boat and engine when it was holding air
Old 06 September 2020, 20:56   #11

Image attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	134992  
Old 06 September 2020, 21:39   #12

looks same place as where mine went seems common and caused by removing the fuel connector and a bit of fule getting on that part of the floor, they are a fantastic boat when on the water shame they discontinued them ,

heres links below to the posts from nashers and my aerotec 380 repairs there are picys as well

i had a slight air leak at a main tube valve and found an O ring that slipped over the cap and sealed it when screwed tightish , not sure if that will work with floor but ptfe tape is worth a try

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/repair...oor-42724.html

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/introd...tec-40249.html
Old 07 September 2020, 06:11   #13

Thanks for pointing me to that. Yes possibly some fuel has got on there.
I feel like the main issue that has caused some punctures while I have had the boat is sand down the sides of the floor getting pressed and rubbed against the boat tubes. Some types of sand are worse than others for this. Aberdaron beach in North Wales is the worst I have come across to the point where I won't launch there again despite the fishing being really quite good. I wonder if I ran a strip around the entire edge as a protector? Or would this make it a bit stiff and not roll up so well?
Old 07 September 2020, 06:16   #14

My other idea is if a strip all old patches and glue off. Could I just cover any pinholes with aquasure or something with the floor deflated then put some air in it and do some large strip patches with proper two part adhesive. I guess they would form much better over the shape when inflated. Would the two part bond to aquasure?
I'm thinking sandwich bags of sand draped over the patch could form around the corner shape and help weight down the patch?
Does this sound OK?
Old 07 September 2020, 09:08   #15

I've used Stormsure on a single pinhole on my air floor with great success. I would not rely on a patch sticking to it but if you didn't spread it about too much then the area under the patch would be really small and no problem.

Do you think this is tiny stone/sand damage... or could it be the material itself is failing and pinholing?

No luck with Neil's floor? It really would be so much easier to start with a better floor.
Old 07 September 2020, 09:11   #16

I suppose it could be the material failing but I think some of the holes are definitely stone or shell damage. This is worse against the hard transom at the back, Neil is kindly digging out his floor to see if it is use able. Thanks for your help everyone, hopefully be back on the water soon before the winter gales.
Old 07 September 2020, 09:24   #17

you have nothing to lose with that floor so try it and keep and eye out for a replacment, i would patch where possible but with whats there already storm seal maybe better option unless you can get a good clean surface ,Fenlander is probably right these floors fail with age , they seem to harden and stiffen in that area possibly the petrol reaction ,mine had pinholes and a crack in it as you can see from picys ,
have you contacted bombard to see f any still remain on a shelf somewhere
or put wanted add on boats and outboards you may get lucky
Old 07 September 2020, 09:56   #18

yes thanks i may try the aquaseal first at the edges of the patch , because if i have to strip all the old patches and glue off and start again it is going to be a major operation plus i dont really know what im going to find under there, if the aquasure doesnt work i will try and strip it all back and get some new patches on.I will try bombard direct to see if they have any. Thanks
Old 07 September 2020, 10:15   #19

Let us know how you get on with Bombard. They (Zodiac group) seem to have lost feel for their heritage since the financial troubles and takeover about five years ago.

The last time a new floor was discussed here I think the cost was as much as a complete small Honwave.
Old 07 September 2020, 17:30   #20

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Wouldn't the internal latex sealer do a better job ?