Town: london
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: 3m +
Engine: n/a
Inflatable and Sea

Hi everyone,

I am new on here.

I have read so many websites and searched so many keywords but no joy.

I am very interested in buying an inflatable boat with possibly a 5ph or less motor. now I do not want to ride it in any canals or rivers in the uk (which I know and read that I require certain insurance and or certificates) I am very much interested in sea fishing possibly down southend on sea or close by, but I could not find a single website mentioning anything about a licensing on sea or insurance.

Could someone please guide me on this? I am aware of the safety's such as VHF, life jackets and anchor including the engine pull cord etc. but is there anything for me to actually purchase? like an insurance or license? and also would I still require to buy a fishing license when sea fishing? any websites to support this would be perfect too.

If you could kindly reply, it would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 07 January 2020, 07:33   #2

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
https://www.rya.org.uk/get-afloat/Pa...g-boating.aspx

https://britishseafishing.co.uk/do-i...r-sea-fishing/

will help with the basics, grab a brew and get reading
Old 07 January 2020, 09:29   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi BM and welcome to the forum.

Good reading in those links.

Training and a licence to use a boat isn't required but at least basic training is very useful... an alternative is going out with others in a group to gain experience.

Insurance isn't required by law to be on the sea but it's cheap (under £50) for a low powered craft and a very good idea. Any slipway that is managed by a private person, club or local authority if they wish can insist on insurance being shown so another reason to get it.
Old 07 January 2020, 16:36   #4

Town: Cobham
Boat name: Not named yet
Make: Excel
Engine: Suzuki 20hp
Hi BM
Good advice seems to have been given. I would echo that insurance is pretty cheap, and thus I would certainly recommend. No need to get a licence to fish at sea.
Other issues to consider:
Size of outboard so that you can cope with tides, depending on where you are planning to fish.
Consider where you will launch/retrieve your SIB; boatlaunch.co.uk is a good starting point to identify slipways. Possibly launch from beach but check tides and state of sea as launching with choppy waves from the beach can be tricky!
Enjoy your time fishing once you get up and running...
Old 07 January 2020, 23:21   #5

Many thanks for the replies. the links were very useful, specially the boatlaunch website, I think is a must know. thank you, thank you.

Couple of more questions, if possible please.

Where can I buy insurance? is there one place only? like post office? or there are comparison websites I could use?

Also I am not planning on going to far out into the sea specially with big waves. even I say big, I mean even medium ,,, small size LOL ... I would very likely go out couple of miles MAX - or unless you reckon I should go out further for fishing? do you reckon 3.5 or 5hp motor will do the job?

Many thanks.
Old 08 January 2020, 08:05   #6

Insurance... many of us use Craftinsure… cheap and easy with reports of good service on admin and claims... Craftinsure Boat Insurance | Compare Yacht, Narrowboat, Dinghy, RIB, Speedboat, Canoe and Kayak Insurance

Launching from Southend… you will have to check this for sure but I think there is a daft £38 feel to launch from the foreshore in that area... not sure how or where you pay and if it's policed but the fine for non payment is twice the launch fee.

How far out?? It's difficult giving advice as there are so many factors and sometimes the nearest few hundred metres to shore/harbour can be the most dangerous. That's where local advice from other smallcraft users in your chosen area is invaluable. But in general with a SIB around 3m and 5hp or less I'd not want to be far from a safe haven. You would certainly need to judge the tides very carefully as it dries a long way out at low tide many places in that area giving you a near impossible long haul over sand/mud to get back to hard ground.
Old 09 January 2020, 02:50   #7

Thanks for the insurance advice and yes I have noticed that Southends low tides does dry out a long distance. definitely something to look at before attending...

Many thanks for the all information I will definitely come back with other questions

Have a good one.
Old 09 January 2020, 10:04   #8

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Have a look at the gurnard video's that will let you see what you can do with a small boat if he can't do it that say it all he's a master at sea
Old 09 January 2020, 10:42   #9

Have a look at the gurnard video's that will let you see what you can do with a small boat.... he's a master at sea.

Yes with 60yrs experience on the sea and forensic understanding of the waters he operates in The Gurnard is uniquely placed to go on waters in a sub 3m SIB that would be crazy for a newbie.
Old 09 January 2020, 11:13   #10

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyMoaty View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new on here.

I have read so many websites and searched so many keywords but no joy.

I am very interested in buying an inflatable boat with possibly a 5ph or less motor. now I do not want to ride it in any canals or rivers in the uk (which I know and read that I require certain insurance and or certificates) I am very much interested in sea fishing possibly down southend on sea or close by, but I could not find a single website mentioning anything about a licensing on sea or insurance.

Could someone please guide me on this? I am aware of the safety's such as VHF, life jackets and anchor including the engine pull cord etc. but is there anything for me to actually purchase? like an insurance or license? and also would I still require to buy a fishing license when sea fishing? any websites to support this would be perfect too.

If you could kindly reply, it would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
The simple answer to your question is legaly to go out on the sea you require nothing no insurance no licence no fishing licence no radio not even a lifejacket is mandatory.
That said some basic safety items are extremely advisable however dont get bogged down with the " you need" answers or before you know it you'll need a bigger boat to carry all the safety gear. One persons idea of essential is totally different to another's. Use common sense look at others lists and modify to suit your own area of operation needs and budgets.
Personally if your fishing close to shore the only items id class as absolutely essentials are lifejacket, oars and anchor and chain/rope. Obviously there are many other items that are nice to have but they can be added as your experience and requirements improve
Training is useful but this can come from going out with others and learning from them, it doesnt need to be formal training
Old 09 January 2020, 18:36   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Look up Alan bombard crossing the Atlantic in a 4.5 m inflateable these boats are not to be under estimated + 1 for gurnard old school enough said
Old 16 January 2020, 14:55   #12

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Inflatables are robust and stable boats and can cope with a lot. However, the biggest risk is setting off into waves, and — even worse — coming back into shore. From out at sea, you can only see the green backs of the waves, then as you get close to the shore they can pile up as the water gets shallower, and suddenly you're coming through surf. If a breaking wave catches you from behind, it can turn the boat sideways and then over.

Once you're out beyond the surf, in any sensible conditions, you'll be fine. It's like an aeroplane: flying is easy, but landing is where the pilots earn their money. Sibbing is perfectly safe until something goes wrong!

Boating is not strongly regulated in the UK. However, many local authorities and private companies charge a launch fee to use a slipway. Some local authorities also ask you to register your boat before launching it on their territory. This is so they can exercise their duty of care to other water users by checking that you have third party liability insurance. It also gives them a stick to beat you with if you behave badly, such as racing around in the shallows near a bathing beach.

Insurance is easy to get and, depending on the boat, somewhere between about £75 and about £125 for a smallish boat with a small to medium engine. A simle Google search for "dinghy insurance" will help. Personally, I've had excellent service from https://www.alan-thomas.co.uk/privat...aft-insurance/ (I have no connection with them other than being a customer) but there are other well-known names who are no doubt equally good.

Safety kit: buoyancy aids for everyone on board, an anchor with a chain and plenty of rope, and the knowledge of how to anchor properly. After that, the amount of kit you need depends on how much risk you take on. Pottering about on a calm sea with a gently onshore breeze and plenty of safe landing places, you can survive with just a boat, personal buoyancy, windproof top and warm hat, sun cream, foot pump or hand pump, reliable engine, enough fuel, oars/paddles, anchor, chain and rope.

If you are going further, or in more challenging conditions, or where landing opportunities are limited, then you need to kit up accordingly. Your kit requirements will increase as your experience increases.

I suspect that most SIB owners do not do the adventurous stuff you will read about on here. My current SIB manages a couple of easy river trips a year. If I were back to my old days of using my SIB on diving trips off the west of Scotland, I'd have a radio, flares, possibly a reserve engine.
Old 16 January 2020, 18:49   #13

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Have in use a 320 Mtr Sib with a 5 HP 2 strokes motor and prop maxed for 2 up, excellent for flat water use and minimum wind. With a strong wind or current combo could remain in the same place while trying to return to Terra Firme. A 8-9.8 HP motor will be of much help when encountering both sea situations....

It's not the same to stay stranded at sea than on Terra Firme..

Happy Boating