Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 04 March 2016, 12:20   #21

Town: southampton
Make: honwave 3.2
Length: 3m +
Engine: honda 10hp
unfortunately my hike is down a very curvy road!
Old 04 March 2016, 21:17   #22

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Appreciate the heads up on the lightweight nature of the Rooteq. The outboard dealer didn't have one to show me and I'd had a feeling this might be the case so wouldn't order unseen.
Old 04 March 2016, 22:38   #23

After suffering slipped discs in my neck, I gave up pulling a heavily loaded Sib through shingle and sand on it's transom wheels.
Now I enlist 4x4 to do the donkey work.
I carry my Sib on a trailer permanently, so I reverse the rig up to the waters edge.
Roll the sib on it's transom wheels into the water off of the trailer.
Likewise the sib only rolls a couple of feet on its transom wheels from the water - back onto the trailer.
I use a 3 tonne winch to do the hard work of retrieving the Sib now😊.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457134663930.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	111081   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457134700589.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	111082  
Old 04 March 2016, 23:55   #24

Town: Kerry
Boat name: Independence
Make: FunYak
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF10
How far do you move your SIB on transom wheels?

You need one of these ...

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...hrough-8932736

😊
Old 05 March 2016, 00:06   #25

Lol😂

Those little scooter wheels are definetly going to get stuck in the soft sand though!
Old 12 March 2016, 19:48   #26

Town: Maidstone
Boat name: na
Make: Zodiac
Engine: outboard 25p 2stroke
I've found it very tough pulling my sib up shingle beaches (worst one is my most local launch on the Isle of Sheppy) there's been times that I really didn't think I'd make it to the top of the slip and was so very grateful of a passer by offering a hand (I quite often go out on my own with it). I keep wondering whether there is someway to lift the front and tie a rope to the back of my van and pull it up that way (wouldn't want to drag it up, bow on the ground for obvious reasons).

On flat ground it moves quite easily with launch wheels, I only move it short distances though.
Old 13 March 2016, 09:33   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKent View Post
I've found it very tough pulling my sib up shingle beaches (worst one is my most local launch on the Isle of Sheppy) there's been times that I really didn't think I'd make it to the top of the slip and was so very grateful of a passer by offering a hand (I quite often go out on my own with it). I keep wondering whether there is someway to lift the front and tie a rope to the back of my van and pull it up that way (wouldn't want to drag it up, bow on the ground for obvious reasons).

On flat ground it moves quite easily with launch wheels, I only move it short distances though.
I'm sure there is, I'd just be wary, if a wheel digs into a hole in the shingle a van has the potential to cause a lot of damage.

Perhaps a pulley?

There will be a size of shingle relative to the wheel and weight where it will definitely be easier to roll it with inflatable rollers as Gurnard does.
Old 13 March 2016, 11:12   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
We pull ours about 300 metres through these dunes, soft sand and over grass to and from beach fully loaded on this launch trolley and dolly. I think it would put too much stress on the bow fittings if we regularly pulled it through this terrain on only transom wheels and dolly.
Tend to only use transom wheels for launching/recovery when the surf is up!!
This set up works best for us as boat is left on trolley inflated (at half pressure) and covered over the summer.
Attachment 111063
Chipko,

Noticed you use these wheels Metal Caravan Trailer Dolly Mover - H-Duty Black - For Boat - Jet Ski - Utility | eBay in your pic for moving the bow. I've just bought the same ones - could you provide a bit of info how you've modified them to fit?? More pics would be great!
Old 13 March 2016, 15:11   #29

Town: Oop North
I used to just pull the sib along the road, about 400yds, then across the beach just using launch wheels. But they took a battering,

because to make it easy to pull or push it along I had to put as much weight over the wheels as possible.
In the end I made a trolley from parts of a garden cart and some square aluminium.

Now my mate who is cracking on a bit can maneuver it by himself.

Once down the beach we just take it off the trolley and launch using the launching wheels. I pull the trolley up to the hightide mark and secure it ready for when we return.
Old 13 March 2016, 17:54   #30

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamv66 View Post
Chipko,

Noticed you use these wheels Metal Caravan Trailer Dolly Mover - H-Duty Black - For Boat - Jet Ski - Utility | eBay in your pic for moving the bow. I've just bought the same ones - could you provide a bit of info how you've modified them to fit?? More pics would be great!

Hi Adam,
I didn't need to modify the dolly as my sib usually lives on a launching trolley with a tow hitch which drops straight on the dolly's tow ball.

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1457890459.984881.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	111232
I did however modify it to carry an outboard but leaving the tow ball exposed so it can be used to pull boat or outboard (not at the same time).

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1457890705.903406.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	111233

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1457890869.407226.jpg
Views:	1351
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	111234

However, it could also be easily modified to support and pull boat by the bow while on transom wheels. I would look at adding a carpeted circular board about 300mm dia. cupped over tow ball and free to articulate. Hook the bow ring onto this and I think I would add a rope/strap to both towing d-rings on either side to take the pulling force off the bow fitting.
Good luck.
Old 14 March 2016, 00:28   #31

Really useful - thanks! Might look at getting a launching trolley then to attach the dolly to. I've managed to ovalise the holes in one of my transom wheel tubes so they need replacing. Its actually cheaper to buy an entire launching trolley than the transom wheels for the honwave - crazy!
Old 14 March 2016, 12:07   #32

Chipko your images yesterday show your converted trolley perfectly... thanks for posting.

I just wonder when the outboard is on and you lift the handle to trolley it about is there a tendency for it to fall over backwards?
Old 14 March 2016, 16:24   #33

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
How far do you move your SIB on transom wheels?

Hi Fenlander,
You're right it will tip back if handle lifted really too high!! It has a sweet spot and feels well balanced when handle is just below waist height. Only usually used for transporting outboard through the dunes and onto beach, so the wide wheelbase is a real bonus over uneven sand and marram grass tufts!
Store the motor on a cheap sack trolley from Machine Mart - again modified of course 😀

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1457972351.090759.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	111243

In another thread I recall you are considering a Rooteq trolley. Great piece of folding kit but here is a pic of mine with 26kg of 9.8 Tohatsu on it. Not that stable for anything much bulkier in my humble opinion. Really narrow wheelbase as well. Too stabilise the motor you should rest the skeg in the track of the trolley - but this scratches the hell out of the skeg!!

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1457972659.863009.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	111244
Old 14 March 2016, 17:06   #34

Very useful thanks. I can imagine with the Rooteq if the Suzuki started to fall sideways you'd not have enough control to stop it with that small handle... like the neat folding idea but bit worried.

Modding a Machine Mart type trolley seems a very good possibility.
Old 14 March 2016, 18:43   #35

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I have no idea what the folding sack barrows are like Fenlander..but this one seems to get good reviews..some saying they move heavy cookers and fridges with them no problem. Perhaps it would be handy for you if it could fold ? If it strong enough ? Rated 80kg. There are numerous other folding sack trolleys from other suppliers too.

Folding Platform Truck | Sack Trucks | Screwfix.com

I use the normal type like Chipko has posted in his photo . Its fine for me..my only issue are the inflatable wheels tend to rot after three years of use.. at least the two I have had in the past have perished.

I went to get the second one out the shed last week..and found a tyre flat ..blew it up..but its all cracked and leaking badly ..so time for another sack trolly. At 30 odd quid a shot.. its not a bank buster. ..I can afford the £10 a year ..before inflation

I submerge the trolley in salt water every time I use the boat.. so probably not such an issue if you don’t shove it in the sea. I might try a folding one myself this year.

Anyone tried a folding sack trolley with success ? They are a lot cheaper than outboard trolleys
Old 14 March 2016, 18:54   #36

I have a slightly different folding trolley bought for eldest daughter's uni accommodation to/fro trips. But I wouldn't trust my new Suzuki 20hp on it.

I really like your back to front setup Gurnard which enable a heavy outboard to be "hooked" onto the transom. The problem with that might be the cowling of these 20hp 4-strokes are huge and smooth... like a slippery fish.. and might not suit that back to front arrangement.

Once the outboard arrives (hopefully Thurs) I will try it on the old cheap trolley and see what I need to improve with a new one.
Old 14 March 2016, 19:03   #37

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Ok.. your thoughts are good enough for me Fenlander.. I will just get a normal sack trolley.

The mariner has a good solid cowl.. and the metal frame just below the cowl takes the weight when the trolley is laid flat. For me ..its a god send..I couldn't have a 50kg engine if I didn't do it that way. Every year as I age ..it gets a bit worse.. I might think of going back to a decent hardshell next year..on a mooring.

Got my boat in the water today..and spending a few days at Arisaig..as weather is glorious..no wind for a week. Its only the wee seago slat floor Im using though..its no problem carting over the shore
Old 15 March 2016, 10:52   #38

Town: Oop North
Gurnard, I've got one of those folding sack trolleys, they're no good for outboards. As soon as you hook the outboard over the top bar, the trolley wants to fold up, and that was with a 2hp Yamaha.
It's great for moving the folded up F-rib round the garage though.
Old 16 March 2016, 09:39   #39

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Gurnard, I've got one of those folding sack trolleys, they're no good for outboards. As soon as you hook the outboard over the top bar, the trolley wants to fold up, and that was with a 2hp Yamaha.
It's great for moving the folded up F-rib round the garage though.
It might still not be strong enough to take the weight of an outboard but I've found with my fold up (then in on itself) trolley fitting a piece of 15mm copper tube between the wheels IE about 40cm ish makes a throwaway trolley into a more used one. The copper needs to be just the right length so it forces the wheels out slightly and stays in place. I've used it like this many times now and once in place the trolley feels useful. - an ali or steel pipe more robust
Old 11 May 2016, 21:53   #40

Well now I have my Suzuki DF20 even at its modest 44kg I'm not spending out on a Rooteq to find it too tippy or flimsy... remember I was wondering if the Rooteq would double as a bow dolly for our longer pulls along the road on transom wheels.

So I'm keeping and slightly strengthening my existing folding outboard trolley which is the one shown in one image below.

To make a bow dolly I've just ordered the same trailer mover as Chipko and others have as in the other image below.

Metal Caravan Trailer Dolly Mover - H-Duty Black - For Boat - Jet Ski - Utility | eBay

Thinking of something like Chipko's timber mod for carrying his outboard (in his images post #30 above). I'll be rising up from the ball hitch A frame (ball to be removed) somehow with something that hooks the bow handle as I do with my hand.

But how to do that? Needs to be fairly strong but kind to the SIB fabric. Also needs to be able to swivel if possible for turns or at least hook on in a way that allows some twist.

Any ideas much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trolley.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	112630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow dolly.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	112631