Old 18 September 2013, 19:03   #1

Length: 3m +
honwave anchor and seat

Hi I have a Honwave t-30AE and I have two issues I hope someone can help me with.

1. How do I attach the anchor rope to the metal bracket which is under the bow of the boat? I am currently tying it to the handle on the side of the boat which is not ideal as I have to make sure I position the boat on the right side of the incoming waves in a diagonal position, rather than bow facing waves as would be preferable.

2. It kills my back being on the thing for hours. Would it be possible to attach a seat to the single bench seat provided? Maybe I could drill a bracket in and attach a seat to this? Is there anything out there that could be attached to the tubes so one could lean back on something when fishing etc?

Some links would be really helpful. I'm sure there is correct terminology for all this but as a newbie I don't really know what they are.

Stu
Old 18 September 2013, 19:50   #2

Town: Stotfold
Boat name: kimozo 2
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 115 efi 4 st
to fix anchor rope to bow eye, you can either use a carabiner clip , or just tie it off, both will mean you have to lean over front of boat, ( i never found it a problem on mine)

Re seat (mine had a ally floor) i used a fold up garden type chair to relax in whilst fishing.
Old 18 September 2013, 19:54   #3

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuzzer View Post
Hi I have a Honwave t-30AE and I have two issues I hope someone can help me with.

1. How do I attach the anchor rope to the metal bracket which is under the bow of the boat? I am currently tying it to the handle on the side of the boat which is not ideal as I have to make sure I position the boat on the right side of the incoming waves in a diagonal position, rather than bow facing waves as would be preferable.

2. It kills my back being on the thing for hours. Would it be possible to attach a seat to the single bench seat provided? Maybe I could drill a bracket in and attach a seat to this? Is there anything out there that could be attached to the tubes so one could lean back on something when fishing etc?

Some links would be really helpful. I'm sure there is correct terminology for all this but as a newbie I don't really know what they are.

Stu
1. Just tie it on using a round turn two half hitches and make sure its tight. I used this to attach the anchor rope to the ring below the bow on my honwave. I would just leave it tied on and I always used to throw all my rope out (didn't have loads of rope, but I was always in the bay).

2. I can't see why you couldn't do that, although the seat will be very high. I had a seat in mine which was bolted to the aluminium floor which worked fine although I had the t40, so a bit more room as it did take up quite a bit of space.
Old 18 September 2013, 20:01   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I have 50m of rope so I don't want to throw it all out. Is there some type of knot I can use to attach it to the ring without passing the end through?

Also it seems a bit precarious tying a knot leaning right over to reach the fitting under the bow?
Old 18 September 2013, 20:04   #5

Town: hyde
Boat name: patriot
Make: zodiac
put a lazy line to your anchor rope ,i put a loop in the anchor rope the length of the boat+ and have a piece of rope close to hand (on a cleat ) then i pull the loop towards me easily retrieveing the anchor line ,no need to lean over the front that way if you get my idea lol
Old 18 September 2013, 20:43   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuzzer View Post
Also it seems a bit precarious tying a knot leaning right over to reach the fitting under the bow?

yup... it is precarious and not recommended. Pete has the right way..

I have a painter (rope) permanently tied to the front D ring.
(in actual fact its tied like a bridal to the two side rings and fed through the front ring..but I wont go into that just now as it will confuse matters)

This painter (rope) is just short of the length of the boat so if I forget to bring it on board when I set off..the loose end cant reach the propeller and get tangled in it.

The painter is used when I jump out the boat when I land ..to haul the boat ashore..or to tie it off so it wont drift away. It is also used as the rope to attach the anchor rope to the boat.

To anchor the boat ..throw your anchor overboard and let out the amount of anchor rope you want..(as you said..you may only want to let half your anchor rope out) Once you have the amount of anchor rope out..just tie a loop in your anchor rope..then tie the loose end of the painter to the loop in the anchor rope. The job is done.

So now you have the anchor out on the sea bed ..the anchor rope is attached to the painter via the loop you tied. .. the painter is attached to the front of your boat.

The remainder of your anchor rope above the loop is kept in the boat beside you..so when you want haul it in..you can do it from the safety of your seat.

I use a carabiner on the end of my painter as it is the most used rope on the boat and it makes it easy to clip onto anchor ropes or whatever.

As for a seat.. google your nearest angling centre ..then do a search on boat seats. There are many different types available to clip onto your existing seat or to stretch across the tubes..but they all come at fancy prices.
Old 19 September 2013, 11:39   #7

Thanks for all the replies, it's been really helpful.

Following this I purchased a plastimo seat swivel clamp and a plastimo seat to fit onto the existing bench, which would allow me to move the seat around and balance the bench - in total cost about £80.

Gurnard - I think what you and Pete suggest is ideal for me - I was worried about trying to free a stuck anchor just using the front ring, but attaching to the additional two rings on the side would be more stable I reckon. Can you point me in the direction of how to fit this to all three rings - a photo would be fantastic!
Old 19 September 2013, 12:20   #8

Town: hyde
Boat name: patriot
Make: zodiac
stuzzer hi i connect to the folding end ie opposite the shaft then fold the chain up to the top of the main shaft & secure with a cable tie ,someetimes two , then when snagged you pull for a break & you pull the anchor up hook side up freeing it from snags ,just make sure you use the right strengtghcable ties ,cheers
Old 19 September 2013, 12:24   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Im not to familiar with posting links on the forum Stuzzer ..but if this link works..you can see a photo posted by Peter C of this forum .. half way down the first page..it clearly shows how to tie a bridal painter to a SIB..the reason its done this way is to spread the load of the pull.. it wont give any more stability at anchor but its not required because the greatest stability is when the boat is head on to the wind or waves that may cause the instability in the first place..and this is when you are anchored to the front of the boat..if that makes sense.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/storing-anchor-in-sib-57562.html

A SIB is really just a small boat .. so its worth knowing the correct techniques used on boats. There are plenty articles on the net for newbies. Here is a link to a great video on small boat techniques ..its number 4 in the series and in the second half ..it gives all the tips n techniques for anchoring your boat. The first half covers launching in and handling choppy water. Don’t be put off because it’s a video for small boats..it is relevant to SIBS too. Here is the link.. Im sure you will learn something from watching the video.

F3 - Dinghy Going Afloat - Small Boat Ownership - Video
Old 19 September 2013, 12:25   #10

Thanks guys, really helpful, I'll watch the vid and study the link cheers.
Old 19 September 2013, 15:34   #11

Town: Oakland CA
As for the knot, I used to use what's called an Alpine Butterfly to get a loop in the middle of the rode to tie it off. Quick to tie (once you get it down) and easy to untie when wet and having been under load.

This is the knot, in a sort of confusing method:
Alpine Butterfly Loop | How to tie the Alpine Butterfly Loop | Climbing Knots

A simpler way to tie it:
Rock Climbing Knot: Alpine Butterfly

jky
Old 20 September 2013, 13:32   #12

Great - I'll test this out and post a pic up when I've done it.