Old 04 March 2020, 08:41   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>I'm tending towards the quicksilver 3.2 alu deck

I'd still say if you can afford it the alloy hull model wil be far better given you will use a trailer even for the alloy deck model.

The alloy hull model will give the very best chance of the 6hp (or even a slight HP upgrade in the future) moving it as well as possible compared to a true SIB.
Old 04 March 2020, 09:17   #22

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
looking at your circumstances you've had a 3.60m anything less than 3.30 isn't going to cut it for you room wise, if keeping the 6hp i would go for the ali hull 3.3 at 60kg with a chance of planing with the 6hp. it'll be a easy to launch off a trailer single handed. go for CAT C for sure CAT D is ok for nipping out to a boat on a mooring but open water CAT C a must IMO of course.
Old 07 April 2020, 16:21   #23

Town: ...
Boat name: none
Make: Honwave 3.5-AE
Engine: Mariner 6hp
Well I plumped for the Honwave 3.5 alu floor and finally got around to assembling it today. I ran into a few problems.
1.One of the adaptors on my Itwit pump while it looks identical to the honwave one just won't twist and seal in the valve.
2.If I build up pressure using the Honwave foot pump I hear a hissing sound as if air is escaping back through the pump.Is this normal
3. I have so far failed to insert the spars on the sides of the floor. There just does not seem to be enough room. Sorry now I did not buy the air floor. Any tips on how to force those spars on?
4. The fabric looks lightweight but what can you expect I guess from a budget sib
Old 07 April 2020, 19:24   #24

Snag #2 solved the rubber seal where the pipe attaches to the honwave foot pump was not seating properly
The Itwit adaptor on closer examination is not identical but seems the same design
Old 07 April 2020, 20:03   #25

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep there are slight variations in the apparently similar valve connectors, I ordered a second one from Honda to fit my elec pump.

Many valves will pass back some air into the pump when you stop pumping.

The first couple of aseemblies may be hassle as the boat will be tight and you won't have developed the knack. Did you have oars under the floor when you tried to get the stringers on? A bit of talk or soapy solution can help.

On mine back about 10yrs ago the fabric wasn't any thinner than a basic priced Zodiac.
Old 08 April 2020, 02:49   #26

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
When putting in the spars only inflate the tubes about 40% and if you can get someone to tug up on the rope fitted on top of the tube they'll slip straight in because the tubes more 0 shaped than O which leaves plenty of room . It's a knack that's soon mastered and there's probably some youtube footage. Locate the stringer at 45 degree angle and simply push over into position against a soft tube. Make sure the valves are in the closed position when you start to inflate. You'll find the cheaper (@£40) electric pumps are excellent for inflating and my 6 year old Decathlon one came with a Halkey Roberts adapter in the kit. Fabric's good quality on mine .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	048.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	132552  
Old 08 April 2020, 08:55   #27

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
[I have so far failed to insert the spars on the sides of the floor. There just does not seem to be enough room. Sorry now I did not buy the air floor. Any tips on how to force those]

try talcum powder or washing up liquid solution as said dont pump the tubes up too much
Old 08 April 2020, 09:26   #28

Town: Morecambe
Make: Honwave T38 IE
Engine: 15HP Tohatsu EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
When putting in the spars only inflate the tubes about 40% and if you can get someone to tug up on the rope fitted on top of the tube they'll slip straight in because the tubes more 0 shaped than O which leaves plenty of room . It's a knack that's soon mastered and there's probably some youtube footage. Locate the stringer at 45 degree angle and simply push over into position against a soft tube. Make sure the valves are in the closed position when you start to inflate. You'll find the cheaper (@£40) electric pumps are excellent for inflating and my 6 year old Decathlon one came with a Halkey Roberts adapter in the kit. Fabric's good quality on mine .
This. It will be impossible to insert them fully inflated. I still find it the most awkward part of assembling my quicksilver 340S.

My quicksilver manual also reccomend placing an oar or something under the boat when inserting the side spars.
Old 08 April 2020, 22:04   #29

Got the stringers installed. The tubes were inflated just enough to prevent collapse. The floors needed to be made perfectly flat by putting the oars underneath.This also enabled me to lie on the floors from where I could push and rotate the stringers which clicked into place after a struggle and the use of silicon lube. The aft stringers need to locate up against the transom and I found it easier to click them in place six inches forward and to slide them back with a little persuasion with a block of wood and a hammer. It is possible to try to insert them upside down Glad I will be doing this just once a season.
Now I must source a honwave adaptor for my Itwit pump, any leads anyone?
Old 30 April 2020, 03:45   #30

Town: Hilton Head Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by billows View Post
Glad I will be doing this just once a season.
EEk is it really that painful? I am looking at a zodiac cadet 310 or 350 with similar flooring for the deck. Figured it would provide standing stability on deck and some slight hull reinforcement BUT I need to store mine after each use as my apartment does not allow boat parking and the outdoor storage around here is not affordable.

I would really like the RIB alu hull to protect from all the sharp oysters around my area but figured the alu deck would be a good middle ground and still be able to be stored after each use.

Although now I am having second thoughts as I hoped to go at least once a week or more. Maybe with practice it would get much easier to assemble?

I was anticipating once well practiced for it to take 10 to 20 minutes to go from rolled out on the ground to ready to ride?

mostly because this guy did it in under 10 - but he did have a hand and does work at a SIB/RIB dealership hahaha https://youtu.be/Qv8tPsrWouI

Cheers
Old 30 April 2020, 21:40   #31

In fairness it was a brand new sib and new to me so it was probably more difficult than normal. My old Yam went together a bit more easily but it was still a struggle, not something I would be happy doing on a slip each time I went out
It also depends on how strong you are, the main difficulty for me was forcing the stringers into position. I guess if you are contemplating lugging around a 15hp Tohatsu you must be. Get some launching wheels too
Old 30 April 2020, 23:17   #32

Town: Hilton Head Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by billows View Post
In fairness it was a brand new sib and new to me so it was probably more difficult than normal. My old Yam went together a bit more easily but it was still a struggle, not something I would be happy doing on a slip each time I went out
It also depends on how strong you are, the main difficulty for me was forcing the stringers into position. I guess if you are contemplating lugging around a 15hp Tohatsu you must be. Get some launching wheels too
Indeed, launch wheels as well as handcart for outboard and getting packed boat upstairs, as I just picked up a bunch of weights roughly amounting to a 15hp Tohatsu and while I can manhandle it around the house I don't think I am capable taking it up stairs to store

I am hoping I can leave it partially assembled in my truck bed if I know I want to pop back out after work midweek. But it gets so ungodly hot here I am afraid for the pvc glue if I leave it out too often in deep summer (another reason I want to be able to store indoors)

And I figure the hour or so of assembly/disassembly would be worth saving close to $1000 a year on storage and buying a trailer and all that stuff.

Cheers, thanks for the response! Cant wait to be a part of the club and on the water proper!