Old 31 May 2015, 06:48   #1

Town: Horley
Make: Yamaha 3.1 STI
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke
Hoilday special

Around 3 years ago I was sitting on my Holiday balcony watching all these people having great fun on what I then thought was rubber dingys, so feeling a little jealous I looked on line and had delivered a 2.4 honwave air deck and 2.3 Honda engine, great I thought perfect for highdays and holidays, nice and light and transportable
That's when my problems started
2.3 Honda - to slow
Change to 6hp Suzuki- to heavy, charge to 6hp mariner, remote tank takes up too much space
Got a 5 hp tohatsu 2 stroke, perfect
Only problem is at WOT the 2.4 honwave is nigh on vertical,its scary
The 2.4 is a bit small anyway, will a 3.2 air deck keep its front down a bit?
If so I think my power to weight package will be complete
Old 31 May 2015, 07:55   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Glad you've caught the boating bug.

Seems you've been impulsive regards the buy, which is fine. Every sib will have a makers mark on the transom and is rated for the boat. You shouldn't exceed the maximum hp rating for the boat for obvious reasons.

Before you start changing engines and increasing boat length, what are you requirements? Is it just you heading out? On sea or fresh water? If you answer some of those questions, others with similar setups will be able to advise.
Old 31 May 2015, 09:15   #3

It's just me heading out, I sometimes take a grandchild, I go out to sea usually shoreham as I'm a member of the harbour club which has a concrete slip, I also use it at Bigbury on sea where I vacation, although my engine choices look excessive in reality I just switch them out on eBay sometimes make a bit sometimes lose a bit but nothing to worry about,got the tohatsu from a rib net member and it's a minter, my overall goal is to keep it light and compact, the 2.4 honwave is very light but also very small and is rated for 6hp, so a 3.2 honwave seems a nice little upgrade for now
Old 31 May 2015, 11:30   #4

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Ive had 2.7 and a 3.2m Honwave's.

The 3.2 was a really good boat, big tubes, flared bow (nice dry ride), stable and planed easily with a 15hp, 2 big adults and a couple of small kids. The only issue was a slight balooning on the floor when heavily loaded, max engine and max revs, however it was only minor as long as the pressure was kept correct.

Im not convinced it will plane with a 5hp, it will be critical on weight distribution and your size. Its also a much bigger boat than the 2.4, its heavier and pretty awkward to manhandle on your own when deflated.

I would have another with pleasure, but I think your 5hp may be underpowered if you want to plane.

In comparison, the 2.7 would plane with a 4hp and just me on board, it was a lot easier to handle on my own, it may be worth considering.

Other options could be the 3m Wetline 300AD, which is very similar to the Honwave.
Old 31 May 2015, 12:41   #5

Thanks for the info, both suggestions look great, will try and track either down
Old 07 June 2015, 07:36   #6

Seems the only reason you have mentioned the bigger hull is the vertical issue. Needs more weight up front. You, fuel, anchor. Tiller extension?
Old 07 June 2015, 15:34   #7

Your right I think, have ordered a tiller extension, and a water proof bean bag so I can dump the seat and sit up front, also I moved the angle of the outboard which I think also added to my problems, think I'm still going to look out for a 2.8 zodiac fast roller, but no hurry
Thanks for your help