Old 21 June 2011, 11:36   #1

Town: Marlow
Make: Bombard 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25hp Yamaha 2 stroke
Hitch lock

I am looking at getting a hitch lock and am rather stuck on what to buy. I cannot seem to find out what type to buy as it depends on the type of hitch you have. To me it looks like a completely standard trailer hitch and it has no distinguishing marks.

Can anybody help with what is best to buy?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0299.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	60294  
Old 21 June 2011, 12:21   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Just checked out the Caravan Club website , but whilst they do recommend a number of devices such as wheel clamps etc , they do not actually promote any hitch locks as such .

I would suggest that you check your insurance policy , and make sure that you you comply with their requirements ! ( more likely to be a decent quality wheel clamp then a hitch lock )

This crowd are recommended by the Caravan Club for wheel clamps , but also supply hitch locks etc .

Bulldog Security Products - Securing Your World

Regards

Bern
Old 21 June 2011, 12:27   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
It's so easy to take a trailer with a hitch lock I don't regard them as security. Lost a hitchlocked Ifor Williams 20yrs ago and learned that lesson.

Heavy wheel clamp is the answer, if a little bulky to carry about in the car when away from home security is needed.
Old 21 June 2011, 12:56   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Aye, but anything that delays an opportunist can only be a good thing........

Bottom line is if they really want it, they'll have it, regardless of what security you have.

I use one of these. It can also be used to lock the hitch whilst attatched to the car (e.g at a service station)
Old 21 June 2011, 13:19   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Aye, but anything that delays an opportunist can only be a good thing........

The problem is it doesn't delay them by any degree. The "boys" don't try and remove it at the point of theft. They merely have a pin hitch on their tow vehicle and simply wind a chain round you trailer towhead, hitchlock and all, and tow away to a place where they have the facility to cut it off.

In many cases the hitchlocks leave two bolts exposed that bolt the hitch to trailer chassis (with an unbraked towhead like in Jesters image) and a couple of minutes can see a replacement towhead swapped on with no cutting, grinding or hammering.... no noise.

Having said that they do give a reasonable appearence of security when used to lock the hitch when on a car and I do this when towing away from home at meal stops on the motorway.

BTW my loss was a 3mth old £1500 Ifor Williams plant trailer with ramps. It was towed away as I described with an astra van... no trouble.
Old 21 June 2011, 14:22   #6

Town: Calne, Wiltshire
Boat name: Shot Away
Make: BWM DeepSea 21
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury BlackMax 200
Try this one, I use it and it's got one of the decent types of padlock and it's really cheap.

Caraloc Carasafe Hitchlock | GO Outdoors

Anything that slows a thief is great, but a lot of insurers, craftinsure for one, will require that you have both a hitchlock and wheel clamp or they won't cover you if it's stolen...