Old 24 May 2009, 18:42   #1

Town: Ottawa
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: n/a
Help with Identification/repairs Zodiac SIB

Hi,

I just purchased a used Zodiac SIB, I say SIB because I gather it means a soft bottom. I do not see any serial numbers that could help identify the boat or the model. Is it vital to know? I thought it would help me identify the materials I need to patch and/or repair the boat.

Unfortunately, the transom is off the boat. The previous owner attempted to repair it but he failed. I plan on having it repaired by a professional. I am including pictures to see if someone can help me identify the model/year/fabric. I was told it's a 14 footer and that I could use a 6hp-30hp motor, I am guessing that once I know the model I'll be able to know the specs of the boat. It is my first Zodiac and I plan to use it for fishing/camping/pleasure. I live near Ottawa, On. Canada

Any help/advice/comment would greatly be appreciated.

P.S. I am budget sensitive!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	42727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	42728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	42729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg
Views:	1308
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	42730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	42731  

Old 25 May 2009, 04:33   #2

Town: Adelaide
Length: no boat
Looks like a major job. Firstly remove the transom and sand back and reseal / varnish. No adhesive will take to the transom in that condition. Boat is PVC. The fabric is starting to look a little brittle, hopefully it will soften up and take the adhesive once cleaned and prepared. The problem here is time - It's going to take a while to repair that, which is where the cost comes in. Doing it yourself will probably cost around Au$90 (40 UK pounds) includes new fabric, adhesive and varnish. time wise about 3 days work. I hope the PO hasn't used silicone as thats the worst stuff to use on an inflatable, very difficult to remove - adhesive won't take to silicone.
Old 25 May 2009, 15:49   #3

Thank you for the input S4Simon, very informative.

Once the transom is sanded, should I apply varnish where I will need to use adhesive? Will any varnish do? The PO used Zodiac Bi-Component Adhesive for PVC and he told me to use ether to clean and remove the old adhesive, is this correct? What is the best way to remove the pvc from the wood, the front floor plank needs to be sanded-varnished.

My plan, for now, is to prepare the work areas as best I can for the local pro to repair. It`s a well used boat and quite a project. The good thing is I paid 50$Can.

Once again, thank you for any input.
Old 26 May 2009, 04:14   #4

Any quality varnish will suffice. Apply one coat, sand and another coat - to the whole transom.

If possible try to use the original fabric. Manin issue here is to clean it up as good as possible, remove as much of the old glue as you can - use a dremel with a small sanding bit to assist. Very time consuming but well worth it.

To assist with separating the layers use a hair dryer to heat the fabric and then peel apart the layers. We use a hot air gun - temp required on PVC boats is about 40-50 deg C to release the old glue.

Getting rid of the old adhesive is paramount - especially any flacky bits of adhesive.

Once all nasties have been removed prep the fabric with MEK (or an acetone based liquid). this will soften the fabric, remove any oils and soften the fabric ready for glueing.

If you can, get hold of some Bostik 1669 adhesive. This is the best glue to work with as it's a heat activated glue - activates around 35-40 deg C. The beauty of this is that you can line up the fabrics to be glued without them being stuck together.

With a transom repair each layer has to be glued separately (one layer at a time) can't be rushed.
Old 26 May 2009, 12:26   #5

http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-8-meter-ex-life...ayphotohosting

The link above will bring you to a boat which is for sale in Aussie land, last bid I saw was Au$3.25!!!!! It's in way better shape than mine is, for less than 10$ WTF? IF I was in Australia, i'd check it out. Just thought I'd let you know.

Is it a good idea to cover the whole transom with the vinyl after it's been prepped (varnished)? I figured it would help have a better bond with the vinyl on the tubes and floor. Thanks for the above tips. If you were in Canada, I'd owe you a beer!
Old 27 May 2009, 05:52   #6

Town: Victoria, B.C.
Make: H733 OB, H672 Jet
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury SeaPro 150's
If it's 14' it's a Zodiac Mk 2 ....almost definately Hypalon. It looks like mid 80's/- mid 90's...cant get any more specific sorry.
Old 27 May 2009, 10:29   #7

It's a 3.85m Zodiac Surf Boat - Hypalon. Not many sold in Oz as Surf Clubs prefer the Achilles craft. These boats are sold onto the public once their life at the club has expired. ie. are beyond economical repair.
Old 28 May 2009, 08:04   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
It's 13' 9'', and the model is a Zodiac MkII GT. Probably made after 1986 and it's most definately PVC. Only reason I know it's built on or around 1986 (apart from owning one) was that the rubbing strake was introduced about this time.

Can be repaired with 2-part PVC glue, but it's quite a big job. Ideally I'd look for something a little younger. No sooner will you repair the transom, then the seam (which is on top) will go or the sponson cones. It's done over 20 years.
Old 28 May 2009, 16:17   #9

Town: San Diego
Make: zodiac futura mk2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Nissan 40 plus
Definitely PVC. The zodiac tube seams are welded, while the floor and transom seams were glued. The glued seams generally fail over time, but the welded tube seams on my Futura have withstood the test of time and heat. With time or money the glued seams can be repaired, but I wouldn't bother if the tube seams are failing. Here is a link to pictures and discussions regarding major transom and floor seam repair (with some extraneous surf spot posts mixed in). You might want to peruse the information. Even if you have the boat professionally repaired it would behoove you to know what is required to have a seaworthy repair, you will be the one out on the water so make sure the work is properly done. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....ight=nobrainsd
Old 29 May 2009, 05:17   #10

Town: Victoria, B.C.
Make: H733 OB, H672 Jet
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury SeaPro 150's
Well I have mk2 tubes on my custom aluminum hull (x canadian CG) and it is definately Hypalon. What color is the bottom the the bow cover? If it's black on the bottom it's hypalon, if it's red it's PVC.