Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 27 July 2013, 14:47   #21

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hi John, on and off for the last couple of years I've thought of trying an Aerotec.

As you know all boats are a compromise and as much fun as our SIB is I do miss the old Searider which laughs at any sort of chop whereas the regular SIB's are happiest at most in a slight sea.

How good really is the 380 with it's moderate full length 'V'ish' hull compared to the typical 3.4m Zodiac SIB at one end and a small SR at the other end?
Old 27 July 2013, 19:27   #22
Administrator

Town: Brighton
It's streets ahead of a flat deck air floor, and at least as good as a wooden/ali floor with an inflatable keel. I'd guess that it would feel like a reasonable step up from the 340.

On the other hand it's in no way comparable to a 4m Searider. That's in a completely different league. But then you can't roll it up and stick it in the back of the car, and it's not going to be much fun with a 15hp.

Looks like you're not far from me and you're welcome to come and have a try for yourself sometime.
Old 28 July 2013, 07:45   #23

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
It's streets ahead of a flat deck air floor, and at least as good as a wooden/ali floor with an inflatable keel. I'd guess that it would feel like a reasonable step up from the 340.

On the other hand it's in no way comparable to a 4m Searider. That's in a completely different league. But then you can't roll it up and stick it in the back of the car, and it's not going to be much fun with a 15hp.

Looks like you're not far from me and you're welcome to come and have a try for yourself sometime.
Thanks John, that's pretty much the assessment I expected. Thanks for the offer too, would be good to get a Sussex meet up at some point. I'll continue searching for my Y Class but I'm sure an Aerotec and SR4 will pass through the garage one day.
Old 29 July 2013, 12:23   #24

Am I correct in thinking that the 380 Aerotec takes a short shaft outboard?

I hope so becuase I bought a Honwave last year with the view to eventually upgrading to an Aerotec, and have been "collecting" outboards all short shaft. Have a nice Yamaha 25hp Autolube stored away ready for when I finally invest in the aerotec next year

Please someone tell me that the 420 is long shaft but the 380 short
Old 29 July 2013, 12:26   #25

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the 380 Aerotec takes a short shaft outboard?

I hope so becuase I bought a Honwave last year with the view to eventually upgrading to an Aerotec, and have been "collecting" outboards all short shaft. Have a nice Yamaha 25hp Autolube stored away ready for when I finally invest in the aerotec next year

Please someone tell me that the 420 is long shaft but the 380 short
Yep..380 is short