Old 31 March 2010, 14:58   #1

Town: Toronto
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50
Futura mark2 or mark 3?

Hi,

I am new to the forum and would like some help deciding whether to go with the mark 2 or the bigger 3. I will get it with the aluminum floor and console. I have 2 kids and am thinking the mark 3 maybe better. What do you think?

Any recomendations on engine? Currently considering a Yamaha 50 2 stroke or the Honda 50 4 -stroke. The Honda is only 9lbs heavier then the Yamaha.

Thanks,
igor
Old 31 March 2010, 15:19   #2

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Hi skoskii,
welcome to rib net .i personally would go for the larger boat ,its one thing looking at boats on dry land but once afloat its suprizing how little room there is ,especially if theres a few of you ,plus the larger boat usually better sea keeping qualitys too ,
mart.
Old 31 March 2010, 15:21   #3

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: BENJ5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90hp
Hi I looked into getting one of these a couple of years ago and there's quiet a bit of difference between the two boats.

The mark 3 is absolutely massive for a sib, and I for one would have struggled with the size. Make sure you get a look at them in the flesh before you buy.
Brian.
Old 31 March 2010, 18:35   #4

Boat name: Pisces
Go for the MkIII and I doubt very much that you'll regret it.

I am presuming that the boat will be trailered, I wouldn't want to be carrying a 50hp motor down the beach, so everything points towards getting the bigger boat.

We use ours purely for angling, and will happily take it ten miles out into the North Sea.

Honestly, I couldn't be more pleased with the boat and cannot think of a single negative point!

https://www.vimeo.com/2701620
Sharkbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2010, 23:21   #5

Town: Labrador City
Make: Zodiac Futura MK3
Engine: Honda bf50a
I picked up a used 97 MK3 late last season with at Honda 50 4stroke. The extra room is great for my fishing buddies and gear. I only got it out for one ride last season and it was absolutely amazing to ride.
I have made some slight comfort modifications like suspension seats, raised steering console, and some rod holders.

Which ever way you go i'm sure you will be pleased.
Old 31 March 2010, 23:57   #6

Suspension seats, ruvaz. You big softy.

A proper Futura owner accepts losing at least an inch in height per season! ;-)

I'd be interested to hear about your rod holders. I'm building something as we speak, and am having a few second thoughts.

Old 01 April 2010, 10:38   #7

The seats are are great especially because I'm 6'5". I did not enjoy sitting that close to the floor. Although i would not mind losing an inch or three!

I was going to build some as well from standard black piping, but i found a set of 4 on EBAY for 25$ CND. The holders are stainless steel and are new vintage 80's products...nicely made.

I will utilize the tool box i installed to raise the steering to mount two rod holder in the front and because the suspension seats are steel i will mount another two to the back side of them. This set up should allow me to use the controls and manage my rods at the same time.

I will post some more pics after i get them installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	50181  
Old 01 April 2010, 20:45   #8

Town: Toronto
Engine: 50
Thanks guys I think I will go with the mark 3.
Old 02 April 2010, 20:41   #9

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
If you will be using a trailer, I'm sure you'll be happier with the 4.7m size rather than the 4.2m boat. If you keep watch, you might find a used Zodiac FC-470, or an HD Mark IV Futura, or even an FC-530 (hypalon futura hulls in 4.7m & 5.3m lengths) in good condition at prices similar to that of a new recreational (PVC) Mark 3 Futura. Same basic hull shape, but the military/commercial grade zodiacs will be vastly more durable that the PVC futuras. There are other manufacturers that also make SIBs in this size range (4.2m, 4.7m & 5.3m) - some of lower quality, others of higher quality than the zodiac models.
Old 04 April 2010, 12:16   #10

Hi Prairie Tuber / All

I probably see more reference to PVC / Hypalon on the Ribnet forums than any other subject.

Often, when the subject arises the reader may be forgiven for thinking that his / her PVC boat is in some way substandard, and will disintegrate on them within a few years.

To put it into perspective, here's my take.

Having owned a number of Zodiac models, none of which were / are made of Hypalon, I have yet to experience the joys of using glues, patches etc. The truth is that I have yet to encounter any problem whatsoever with the modern PVC fabrics used in their construction.

None of the boats were purchased brand new, all them have been used extensively, and in some pretty testing conditions.

My most recent acquisition was the Futura MkIII, this made of PVC / Duotex and is about 2003 vintage. It continues to perform faultlessly, and cleans up to an as new appearance each and every time following a fishing trip. I have no reason to believe that the boat would noticeably degrade for at least another seven years.

Whilst I do not plan on keeping the boat for another seven years, I am confident that I could sell it for almost as much as I paid within the next five years.

OK, Hypalon is doubtlessly a better fabric, but if you look at numerous threads on here whilst the Hypalon is still serviceable twenty / thirty years down the line, there are often other part of the boat that are not. Transom replacements, rotten floors and an appearance akin to a dead whale's hide etc. They are often bought for peanuts compared to their new prices.....so where is the advantage?

I see it a bit like buying a new ford with a stainless steel body. Sure, it would rust out on you....but that doesn't mean that you have to keep it for thirty years to prove that the interior, engine, gearbox aren't up to it. ;-)

A leading brand SIB should give you at the very least 10 / fifteen years of trouble free life, after which everything else on it may appear to show signs of age regardless of whether it's made of Hypalon or not. The better you look after it, the longer it will last.

Cheers

Wayne

PS. None of this applies to extreme users, transporting dead bears with six inch claws and half ton moose with 48 point antlers down sets of rapids. Anyway, they should be looking toward custom kevlar tubes. ;-)

Old 06 April 2010, 04:54   #11

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Some great info Sharkbyte.
Old 07 April 2010, 00:21   #12

I agree Shakbyte, the 97 Futura I bought used this year does not have any patches and the original Zodiac brand glue was still in the repair kit unopened. My boat came from salt water use but will now spend its retirement time in fresh water lakes. I hope it holds up for another 5-10 years for me.