Old 15 June 2017, 13:05   #1

Length: under 3m
Fishing

Been using my sib for fishing mainly for mackerel really. I'm wondering whether I should get some plugs to start trying to catch bass but there are so many to choose from. Can anybody recommend a particular type for either casting and retrieving or trolling from the boat? Also are fish finders any use and are there retain transponders for a small sib?

Cheers
Old 15 June 2017, 13:13   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I've been trying for bass for years, last year I tried Fiish Black Minnow lures, I had more bass than mackerel [emoji106][emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 13:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I've been trying for bass for years, last year I tried Fiish Black Minnow lures, I had more bass than mackerel [emoji106][emoji106]
Just checked them out. A big choice, which do you recommend from a sib?
Old 15 June 2017, 15:00   #4

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Ive been sib fishing for the last couple of years and my bass catch has dropped off dramatically!
Im still getting to grips with fishing afloat and have been having so much fun boating the fishing has taken a step backwards but im going to give it a bit more of an effort this year.
Where are you based? if you are trying to get into bass fishing they love foraging in shallow rocky areas and i would suggest dropping anchor and trying weedless soft plastics on a very slow retrieve. Duo live and 4-5" xlayer have been great for me. Fish the on weedless hooks and throw them into the snags, great fun!
Old 15 June 2017, 16:51   #5

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
has anybody started catching mackerel yet this season was out the other week and caught nowt in the forth
Old 15 June 2017, 16:59   #6

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
Very quiet from the tyne area, think the odd ones are getting caught but not in any numbers yet.
Old 15 June 2017, 17:06   #7

RIBase
Thinking about having a trip to Whitby on Saturday to try our luck
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 15 June 2017, 17:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
has anybody started catching mackerel yet this season was out the other week and caught nowt in the forth
Yep I was out off Anglesey two weeks ago and could have filled the boat. They were in the deep channel on the seaward side of puffin Island. Feathers with five fish on every time
Old 15 June 2017, 17:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevem View Post
Ive been sib fishing for the last couple of years and my bass catch has dropped off dramatically!
Im still getting to grips with fishing afloat and have been having so much fun boating the fishing has taken a step backwards but im going to give it a bit more of an effort this year.
Where are you based? if you are trying to get into bass fishing they love foraging in shallow rocky areas and i would suggest dropping anchor and trying weedless soft plastics on a very slow retrieve. Duo live and 4-5" xlayer have been great for me. Fish the on weedless hooks and throw them into the snags, great fun!
I mostly fish off Penmon point in Anglesey. There are loads of bass about but I never knew what lures to use
Old 15 June 2017, 17:39   #10

Quote:
Gonna order some... Do you know what type are best off a boat?
Old 15 June 2017, 17:50   #11

RIBase
I use the number 3 & 4, be careful with Bass, there are rules as to how many you can keep & when. I think the season starts 1st July but it varies by region
Old 15 June 2017, 17:59   #12

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Live sandeel with a little 1oz weight in an estuary mouth has worked for me, live baiting a joey mackerel also works
Old 15 June 2017, 18:03   #13

Quote:
I use the number 3 & 4, be careful with Bass, there are rules as to how many you can keep & when. I think the season starts 1st July but it varies by region
Lol, you have to catch em first.. But I never take more than I'm going to eat for my tea or breakfast. Even with mackerel I only take two each for me and the missus and one each for the dogs. If I'm lucky enough to catch a bass then I'll only take the one if it's an eater
Old 15 June 2017, 18:11   #14

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcake View Post
Gonna order some... Do you know what type are best off a boat?
Location Water conditions Time of day MUCH more important than Type of Lure
If they're about and feeding they will take just about anything.

Fish/spin over rough/weedy shallow ground (Dawn and Dusk is Best!) with floating Plugs ..or drift over deeper reefs/wrecks when the Tide is moving with Minnows/Wedges on flowing trace with heavier sinker and you won't go far wrong
Free-lining a Joey with a 6.0 through through the top snoze is pretty lethal too

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 18:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Location Water conditions Time of day MUCH more important than Type of Lure
If they're about and feeding they will take just about anything.

Fish/spin over rough/weedy shallow ground (Dawn and Dusk is Best!) with floating Plugs ..or drift over deeper reefs/wrecks when the Tide is moving with Minnows/Wedges on flowing trace with heavier sinker and you won't go far wrong
Free-lining a Joey with a 6.0 through through the top snoze is pretty lethal too
Thanks for this advice... Looking forward to my next trip
Old 16 June 2017, 15:49   #16

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
I use floating jointed plugs a lot. Dive to a few feet on retrieve & float back up when retrieve slowed.
I've tried surface poppers but not done much good although the takes are visual to say the least!
Tried the Redgill Evolution weighted eels a couple of years ago. Worked very well indeed & like the plugs have good casting weight.
Cast & retrieve with a 12' carp rod/fixed spool reel/braided line (Powerpro green) tied to a clip to allow quick change of lures - also help the lures to work better than tied direct unless you use the Rapala knot.
I fish close in to shore over shallow sandy &/or rocky ground.

For deeper water & fishing the bottom a boat rod/multiplier/braid mainline with a long fluorocarbon trace from a boom fished on drop-to-bottom-reel-up-twenty-turns-and-repeat. The weight is attached to the boom. Smaller eels 4" to 6" seem to get better results & takes are often savage.

As said, be aware of the limits. For 2017 from 1st Jan to 31st June it is catch and release only, no bass to be kept. From 1st July to 31st December it is catch and release but you may keep one bass per fisherman per day. Except the West of Ireland where keeping one per fisherman per day throughout the year is permitted.
Minimum keep size is 42cm.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...shing-for-bass
Old 16 June 2017, 17:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
I use floating jointed plugs a lot. Dive to a few feet on retrieve & float back up when retrieve slowed.
I've tried surface poppers but not done much good although the takes are visual to say the least!
Tried the Redgill Evolution weighted eels a couple of years ago. Worked very well indeed & like the plugs have good casting weight.
Cast & retrieve with a 12' carp rod/fixed spool reel/braided line (Powerpro green) tied to a clip to allow quick change of lures - also help the lures to work better than tied direct unless you use the Rapala knot.

For deeper water & fishing the bottom a boat rod/multiplier/braid mainline with a long fluorocarbon trace from a boom fished on drop-to-bottom-reel-up-twenty-turns-and-repeat. The weight is attached to the boom. Smaller eels 4" to 6" seem to get better results & takes are often savage.

As said, be aware of the limits. For 2017 from 1st Jan to 31st June it is catch and release only, no bass to be kept. From 1st July to 31st December it is catch and release but you may keep one bass per fisherman per day. Except the West of Ireland where keeping one per fisherman per day throughout the year is permitted.
Wow thanks for such a detailed reply.
Old 16 June 2017, 17:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post

What weight power pro line do you use with the carp rod?
Old 16 June 2017, 17:58   #19

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
50lb - which is about the same diameter as 12lb mono. Also use the same set-up for Rutland Water's pike - but with a wire trace!

The plugs are mainly 5 to 6". Blue and silver or black and silver in the main but I do have some in more garish colours - such as bright orange - & they work too

Be aware that with braid if you get snagged don't pull it with your hands. I carry a hammer handle to use as a priest & if I get irretrievably snagged I take a few wraps round the handle & pull with that. I have had lures come back with the hooks partially straightened!
Old 16 June 2017, 21:33   #20

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
I've just got into mackerel fishing. Silver lures on 4 hooks pulling them out by the dozen although i just take what I will eat.

My method is easy, look for the seagulls diving madly into the water picking out whitebait or whatever they are called, the mackerel are after them forcing them to the surface. I speed across into the melee and drop my line, simple. Normally on a incoming tide close to the shore. My fishing grounds being off Gurnard IOW. Fresh with a bit of lemon and butter.....