Old 16 May 2021, 14:40   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Excel Colours Red or Dark Grey

Has anyone here got a dark grey sib that Excel does. Volaire/volante or any of the others might be the same i guess.

Shop phoned today as we hadn't discussed colours due to our excitement when ordering on the phone.

Better half has no real preference either way (surprisingly)
But red and the dark grey are the available options.

Not much pics online but I seem to remember seeing a picture/video of one that colour here, but maybe Im thinking of the quicksilver grey which appears to be slightly lighter than the excels but cant really tell.

Only ones I can find here on the forum so far are the red with the black like Redneck and Piglets (which do look really smart and probably easier for the mrs to colour accessorise compared to the dark grey)
Old 16 May 2021, 15:22   #2

Length: 3m +
I pondered red purely on the grounds that it would be easier for someone to spot when upside down and after the sun had set.

It's a slightly grim way of comparing two colours but seems logical to me with regards to offshore boating to contemplate the unlikely. If drifting along, waiting for assistance, I can't help thinking that sitting there in a big red object on a grey sea would give greater comfort over sitting on a grey object on a great sea.

I think that if no one involved in the purchase had any particularly strong liking for a colour then I would go red just for that safety element however remote it's relevance.
Old 16 May 2021, 15:26   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
I pondered red purely on the grounds that it would be easier for someone to spot when upside down and after the sun had set.

It's a slightly grim way of comparing two colours but seems logical to me with regards to offshore boating to contemplate the unlikely. If drifting along, waiting for assistance, I can't help thinking that sitting there in a big red object on a grey sea would give greater comfort over sitting on a grey object on a great sea.

I think that if no one involved in the purchase had any particularly strong liking for a colour then I would go red just for that safety element however remote it's relevance.

Same here, heart wanted black, head said red, purely from a visibility point of view.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 15:59   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
My last three SIBs have been grey as choosing a colour wasn't an option... but no matter... I have a red hat.... they will find me.
Old 16 May 2021, 17:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Same here, heart wanted black, head said red, purely from a visibility point of view.

I did see a video on another site that had the Black Volaire 390 and it did look rather cool in a special forces kind of way

We were thinking the same as you guys, red from the safety aspect, but also wondered if the dark grey wouldn't stand out so much if wild camping and the like but just couldn't find a good video or photograph example of the actual colour in real life....so to speak.
Old 16 May 2021, 17:35   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Boating/RIB ..SIB or Tender ....Go with the Heart!..."BLACK"!
I've had two Red SIB's....Yellow..Grey...and RED RIBs and now Black (All Hyperlon)
By far the easiest to keep clean and looking good IME is undoubtably Black.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2021, 18:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Boating/RIB ..SIB or Tender ....Go with the Heart!..."BLACK"!
I've had two Red SIB's....Yellow..Grey...and RED RIBs and now Black (All Hyperlon)
By far the easiest to keep clean and looking good IME is undoubtably Black.
Better half disappointed they dont do a pink...

But no black in stock ...just red or the dark grey that seems to be very rare in comparison.

Found this now which i think might be the dark grey......but Mrs not keen if it is...... so red its going to be...regardless of my ninja aspirations

Old 16 May 2021, 18:58   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Well I went black after being on a trip with a red boat I noticed when it was half a mile away it looked black, if I remember right that red is the first colour to disappear, Grey with black trim is nice as is red, black is just mean IMO.
Old 16 May 2021, 19:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Well I went black after being on a trip with a red boat I noticed when it was half a mile away it looked black, if I remember right that red is the first colour to disappear, Grey with black trim is nice as is red, black is just mean IMO.
Can understand why they are popular set against the overcast skies and dark waters

Old 16 May 2021, 19:15   #10

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
same as, wanted stealthy black "All because the lady loves Milk Tray"
Went for smart Red with black accents (safety first) and from the comments I get from people who see it on the water, I'm pleased I did.
Old 17 May 2021, 05:29   #11

Town: Newark on Trent
Boat name: River Song
Make: Lomac
Engine: Tohatsu 20HP
I was also offered red or Grey this last week for my vanguard 395. For a moment I considered Grey and the possibility of calling it Dorian. but went with Red because the red ones are always faster!
the colour I would have liked is Blue, just because you don't see many blue SIBs. the Excel website says that blue is not available but I have seen some blue 395s.

I do like the look of black. it does look sinister in a sort of batman returns sort of way, or like a bond villain! I can't help thinking that black is going to look a mess quickly though, especially with salt drying on it and seagull kak and that. Like black cars they look great when you have just polished them.....
Old 23 May 2021, 19:32   #12

Town: Heanor, Derbyshire
Boat name: Bob.
Make: Ex Vol390 + Van485
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 2.5/9.9/20hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Better half disappointed they dont do a pink...

But no black in stock ...just red or the dark grey that seems to be very rare in comparison.

Found this now which i think might be the dark grey......but Mrs not keen if it is...... so red its going to be...regardless of my ninja aspirations

That video is unfortunately my handy work.

The colour is classed as Tornado Grey. nice colour but part of me thinks they look better in black.