Old 26 June 2020, 15:25   #21

Town: Heanor, Derbyshire
Boat name: Bob.
Make: Ex Vol390 + Van485
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 2.5/9.9/20hp
RIBase
I have a Excel 435, you can get 3-4 people with comfort in the seats, fishing is hard worth with more than 3 people (one each side and one fishing out the back.
Old 26 June 2020, 15:31   #22

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
Thanks again all for your advice on the HP, wheel etc.

Jeff I think I'm leaning toward a 435 XHD to be honest... looking at other forum member's boats with 5/6 people it looks snug but do-able. I must stress that I wouldn't be looking at doing a 6 person trip all the time... I don't think we'd get them all out there regularly and are losing one to university at some point. Just trying to find the balance between a boat that is not too big and can get us all out very occasionally at a low speed in decent conditions.
All very useful stuff though - thanks so much
even at displacement speed you can cover some ground sightseeing personally i would sit on the tubes with 6 and not use the seats so long as their not small children.
Old 26 June 2020, 15:53   #23

Town: Heanor, Derbyshire
Boat name: Bob.
Make: Ex Vol390 + Van485
Engine: Suzuki 2.5/9.9/20hp
RIBase
435's are not the lightest of boats. Mine started out in the bag. After a few years it now on a trailer full time.
Old 26 June 2020, 22:45   #24

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Personally would like going for the alum deck Sib with wheels, performs better than an air deck and doesn't need constant reinflation. But will prefer going straight for a bit larger Rib say a 430 Mt one with a 20 HP motor.

Happy Boating
Old 27 June 2020, 08:42   #25

Town: Eastbourne
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Hi ther,

What a great forum - I'm very new to this and have learnt so much on here!

I had a question - was going to buy my first Sib for local excursions, family days-out and maybe fishing - sea and river. I have four kids - 10yr old to teenage and was looking at Excel Volante 390 vs a 395 Vanguard XHD with an aluminium deck.

I have a ramp right at the bottom of my road on the south coast that is lapped by the sea at high tide... it's 100yds away so the plan would be to walk a boat dowm there on transom wheels and not get a trailer.

My question would be - is it worth getting the hard deck? There's £100 diffence or so...

Will I be able to lift the boat (minus outboard) on my own if I went solo? Will the air deck be easier to lauch and bring in because it's lighter? I wondered if the boat would be more rigid and be easier to lift when carrying it? Do the airdesk 'droop'?!

I'm not worried about inflating it frequently as am hoping to store it at my house inflated.

Also, I'm looking at getting a 20hp Tohatsu 4-stroke - does that sound sensible?

Many thanks for any advice!

Tonus
Hi, pulling a large alli deck sib to your ramp full of kit will be hard work and how are you going to get it back up the ramp.

We used to do similar with our honwave 3.2 airdeck and now have a trailer , its just so much easier , although i have a steep shingle beach to contend with and not a ramp.
Old 27 June 2020, 11:18   #26

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurfer View Post
Hi, pulling a large alli deck sib to your ramp full of kit will be hard work and how are you going to get it back up the ramp.

He’s got a herd of kids
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 13:49   #27

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mercury 20hp
Windsurfer - good point. As I'm totally new to this (I might be wrong) but I was thinking I'd pull the boat a little ways up the (60ft ish) ramp/slip and see if I need to take off the motor and drag it up on a trolley if needs be. This'll make it easier to come get the boat. Like I said, I live a little more than 100yrds down a flat road from the sea and two trips won't kill us!
I'm sure if I go ahead with this I'll learn a lot as I go along - it's all pretty dauting to be honest but an exciting prospect! I've lived quite near the sea my whole life and never been on it myself in more than a kayak. Would love to eventually learn how to do this solo...
Old 27 June 2020, 14:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
He’s got a herd of kids
Good point ,All hands on deck !

My herd are still a little small but looking forward to when they can become helpful 😁
Old 27 June 2020, 17:07   #29

Thanks everyone for their advice - really helping me get to know just what I want.

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons I just saw this on eBay - looks like a bargain but my goodness it looks massive! I bet it'd not be great with a 20HP either... interesting though...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Excel-Van...bcf0%7Ciid%3A1
Old 27 June 2020, 17:08   #30

Excel say 'Engine capacity rating 40hp 4 stroke. Runs well with 20hp'
Old 27 June 2020, 18:37   #31

Quote:
Windsurfer - good point. As I'm totally new to this (I might be wrong) but I was thinking I'd pull the boat a little ways up the (60ft ish) ramp/slip and see if I need to take off the motor and drag it up on a trolley if needs be. This'll make it easier to come get the boat. Like I said, I live a little more than 100yrds down a flat road from the sea and two trips won't kill us!
I'm sure if I go ahead with this I'll learn a lot as I go along - it's all pretty dauting to be honest but an exciting prospect! I've lived quite near the sea my whole life and never been on it myself in more than a kayak. Would love to eventually learn how to do this solo...
I think the only way you’ll launch and retrieve a boat like that solo is with a trailer or launching trolley with a hitch. If you can go somewhere to try and lift some outboards up to get a feel for the weight and how awkward they are to carry in the size that you’ll need would really help.

We often go out in the evening to wakefoil when it’s nice and flat and I wouldn’t bother if I had the faff of pulling and heaving all the kit around.
Old 28 June 2020, 14:56   #32

Thanks Windsurfer - been looking at Launching Trolleys - looks like they are quite affordable... could be something to get if needed.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01 July 2020, 10:07   #33

Paddlers - your Tow Dolly / nose dolly looks like such a good idea... found the couple of threads on here with your discussion, but was wondering if anything like that was commecially available? I heard that there was a product that did the same job and might be foldable/stowable... that'd be great as you wouldn't have to leave or secure anything behind.
Old 01 July 2020, 10:51   #34

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well my Trem bow trolley isn't foldable to take on the boat but it is a commercial product.

We launch with our transom wheels and this trolley but take it all back to car/cottage then carry two inflatable beach rollers should we wish to pull out at a destination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trem trolley fitted.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	133815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rollers.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	133818  
Old 01 July 2020, 10:57   #35

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
This Trem trolley is ideal for us as we always have at least one side of the car back seat free where it fits neatly and by chance the transom wheels stow on it perfectly so Mrs F has an easy trundle when she takes them to/fro car/cottage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trem trolley in car.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	133816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trolley carrying wheels.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	133817  
Old 01 July 2020, 11:44   #36

Thanks, that's brilliant... I just found it online... looks good! I might see how I go without it to start as I really don't need to go very far - but looks super useful. Trem is a name I keep hearing...

Thanks again.