Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 10 August 2017, 00:23   #1

Town: Spotsylvania, VA
Length: under 3m
Compact inflatable that will fit in a pickup truck?

I'm shopping for an inflatable compact enough to be disassembled and transported in the bed of a full sized pickup truck (8'X4'X2'), beneath the tonneau cover. It would need to be seaworthy enough to ply the inner waterways and estuarine areas of North America. No single component should weigh more than about 60lbs.

Once assembled, it must be capable of being rolled or dragged (by two people) across 100 yds or less of beach for launch.

Your insights and recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.
Old 10 August 2017, 05:17   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
I easily fit my 3.1 Zodiac and 9.9 hp into the back of a medium sized hatchback, along with enough kit for two adults to go away for a week's camping. I used to pack my old 3.4 (approx size) in the back of a smaller car. We've had it planing on the sea with 2 adults on board, and it will take 4 adults on the river.

With decent launch wheels, anything in this size range will be easily transportable for you in your pickup and will be easy to get across the beach.

Any engine much bigger than 9.9 to 15 hp would be a bit of a struggle solo but a 25 would be feasible for 2.

If you're going out on open water/the sea then as a general rule, bigger is always better while the boat is in use. It's always a compromise between big enough in use and small enough when not in use. Go for nice fat tubes for a dry safe ride.
Old 10 August 2017, 06:12   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
I'm shopping for an inflatable compact enough to be disassembled and transported in the bed of a full sized pickup truck (8'X4'X2'), beneath the tonneau cover. It would need to be seaworthy enough to ply the inner waterways and estuarine areas of North America. No single component should weigh more than about 60lbs.

Once assembled, it must be capable of being rolled or dragged (by two people) across 100 yds or less of beach for launch.

Your insights and recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.
Cadet Fastroller 325 or 360
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 06:58   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
mercury HD range and fit transom wheels 4.2 m boat about 120 kg easy for two with wheels or a launching trolly
Old 10 August 2017, 07:28   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Finding a SIB to meet that spec shouldn't be too hard (and perhaps consider a Folding rib?) but if the weight limit applies to engine too you will be restricting the size of boat it can push (esp. two up).
Old 11 August 2017, 13:04   #6

Thanks to all for your insights. Based on your comments, I shall revise my weight restriction to 120lbs per item, as I should always have some assistance.

I've done some more research and find the aluminum hulled ribs appealing. Which would be better for fishing/more seaworthy, a smaller rib, or a larger non-rib?
Old 11 August 2017, 15:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
Thanks to all for your insights. Based on your comments, I shall revise my weight restriction to 120lbs per item, as I should always have some assistance.

I've done some more research and find the aluminum hulled ribs appealing. Which would be better for fishing/more seaworthy, a smaller rib, or a larger non-rib?
SIBs are a lot more portable, until you get over 13 ft.

RIBs suck for when it comes to portability. You're better off getting a trailer.
Old 11 August 2017, 20:27   #8

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Crude general rule: a RIB is nearly always better on the water; a SIB is often easier for transport and storage. Once you need a launch trailer, the SIB loses its advantages.
Old 11 August 2017, 20:30   #9

Town: Derby
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: no boat
Bombard Aerotec, a 380 fits in the back of my Saab 93 estate so a pickup would swallow the 420 no problem i
Old 11 August 2017, 20:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkt View Post
Bombard Aerotec, a 380 fits in the back of my Saab 93 estate so a pickup would swallow the 420 no problem i
Aerotecs are not imported in to US / Canada.
Old 12 August 2017, 20:39   #11

Unfortunately, a trailer is not an option for this arrangement. I will be towing the pickup behind another vehicle.

Assuming that I stay with the aluminum hulled rib, can they be left assembled and deflated, while moved about? My thought is to slide it (fully assembled and deflated) into the pickup bed, then put the gear and motor (safely cradled and secured) back into it for storage/transport.
Old 13 August 2017, 15:52   #12

As recommended, I have taken a look at the mercury HD and the zodiac fast roller. Love the ruggedness and specs on the mercury, but the weight of even the smallest boat in that lineup makes me take pause.

The fast roller does seem like a nice option. However, I am concerned about having an inflatable floor for fishing. I wonder if a fish flapping around with a hook in its mouth could puncture it.

Although I am really keen on the aluminum hulled boats, they really restrict the overall size that will fit in my truck.

Thanks to all for your insights so far. I appreciate your time and consideration. I have an awful lot to learn. Please keep the suggestions coming.
Old 13 August 2017, 22:41   #13

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
If you go for an inflatable floor then you could line the boat with a matting similar to the material used in the thread http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62326
Old 13 August 2017, 23:23   #14

I like that coin matting. That is a good idea. The bladder tank used in that example bears further consideration as well. Thanks!