Old 05 September 2020, 10:11   #1

Town: Manchester
Make: Avon S250
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 9.8
Change of boat

I have a very small rib 2.7m which is on a trailer. Powered by a 9.8 hp Tohatsu. Looking to change to a sib I can pack away in the back of the van so I don’t have issue with parking and empty trailer etc, or actually need to tow at all.

Would like a bit larger but wish to keep the engine, any advice regards best options for portability and good see keeping.

I would like to keep the price reasonable as it’s a toy so would be looking on the pre used market so wear and tear resistant would be a priority feature.

Cheers in advance.

Mike
Old 07 September 2020, 19:08   #2

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Post heavily edited. I did not notice you said "RIB" so my original response was largely irrelevant.

A 310 Zodiac plus 9.9 hp 4 stroke will fit with all kit in a Honda Civic hatchback with room for 2 adult passengers.
Old 07 September 2020, 19:32   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Plenty of advice around on which SIB - here: https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/which-...sib-62208.html
However, beware that many people find after a while they are switching from inflating each time to keeping it on a trailer. Every boat is a compromise, and just be sure you are definitely not jumping out of the frying pan into the fire - especially as you are likely to find the performance of the same size sib a bit poorer. Is there any way to be clever with the trailer to make it less of a burden? e.g. some people were messing around with folding designs you could keep in a caravan...
Old 08 September 2020, 04:31   #4

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
I think most of the issues are now sorted so I still thing the Honwave T38 is hard to beat. the 9.8 Twatso is fine on this boat
Old 14 September 2020, 20:23   #5

Town: London
Boat name: Pip
Make: Excel Volante 330
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzuki DF6A
My Excel Volante 330 and Suzuki 6 were bought to fit similar criteria. I never have more than two up and am very happy with them, 9.9hp would be even better.

Steve509936 on here has the next size up Volante 360 with 15hp and seems to be enjoying his equally as much.

I looked at the 3.8 Honwave/3.9 Excel options, all exactly what I “wanted” but they were all too big and too heavy to be practical for me as a “from the boot” launcher. For context I’m in my 20’s, average fitness.

The 3.3/3.6m range sounds like a good size based on your requirements, and would certainly match your motor well.

That’s my 2 pence and of course one person’s “too heavy” will be another’s “just right”...!