Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 02 April 2022, 21:21   #1

Buying a used sib and outboard - what should you check?

Hi all, I'm new to sibbing (and boating) and wanting to purchase a used sib and outboard.

I've been reading through posts on here since last year and am seriously looking at purchasing something in the next couple of months ready for the summer.

So, I'm wondering what should I be checking when buying a used Sib or outboard. I can't seem to find any thread on here with a comprehensive check list and I have almost zero idea when I go and see sibs and outboard what I'm actually looking for to check they are not lemons?

Any advice or a list of what to check on each would be a huge help and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James
Old 02 April 2022, 21:48   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
As with anything place a good amount of importance judging the seller and what he tells you about previous use etc.

With a SIB just a few years old it should be fine unless one of the compartments has a leak or there is any obvious damage. You do want to see it inflated. If a SIB is 15-20 years old though consider a very careful check of the glued seams as these can fail.

Extras like transom wheels, seat bags, bow bags, anchor etc and an elec pump are useful.

With the outboard make sure you see that started from cold and it should go in 1-3 pulls and soon settle to a regular idle with the choke pushed in. If a 4-stroke there should be no blue smoke from the exhaust and of course the cooling tell tale should have a strong steady stream. It should look almost new under the cowl and it's good to see a clean prop free of impact damage. Check it hot restarts in one pull.

Always a plus if the seller has the handbook and original toolkit.

Any service records or invoices are a plus but don't worry if none available. These portable outboards are usually massively under used in private leisure hands.... and in my experience reliable.
Old 03 April 2022, 01:56   #3

Town: Dixon
Boat name: "H8 2 Swim"
Make: monaco yachtsman
Length: 4m +
Engine: OB
* Check compression on all cylinders.
* Fully inflate all tubes. Take along a spray bottle with soapy water. Spray down all the tubes looking for leaks.
* Look for corrosion on all metal parts of boat, motor (under the cowling too), and trailer.
* Check to be sure that the water "pees" out strong and within 1 minute of start.
* Condition of prop - no vibration or rattle. No pitting or sharp edges.
* Hypalon or PVC not pealing up.
* Inspect the bottom of the boat.
* If it has a wood or aluminum floor, deflate the tubes and remove the floor to see the condition underneath.
* Splash the boat and take for a spin before you buy.
Old 03 April 2022, 05:36   #4

Town: London
Boat name: No Name
Make: Honwave
Engine: Outboard
The price of new sibs seems very close to used ones at the moment with regard to the boat only so it might be worth buying new and looking for a second hand engine on places like Facebook market place
Old 03 April 2022, 12:01   #5

Town: chorley
Boat name: CAL
Make: Jago
Engine: Outboard 6hp
That would be my suggestion in your position.
New boat secondhand motor. If you want 4 stroke motor probably as well going new for that too unless you get very lucky.
Old 03 April 2022, 13:31   #6
Spammer

Luckily, finding leaks in a SIB is simple & easy.

Invest in a compression tester . Run the outboard .

Make friends with a local marina, and arrange the sale at their location. You can test both the SIB and outboard in the water, with a much better chance of having experienced eyes to help evaluate your purchase.

Inflatable service centers along with Marine outboard service centers both charge north of $100 per hour for service not including parts. Any job will require at least a couple hours minimum.
Old 03 April 2022, 14:01   #7

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi James, now that you've been completely frightened off buying a SIB and an outboard, it may be useful to know what kind of sib and OB you are looking for and for what purpose you want it.
Small sib, big sib, river, lake, sea. Aluminium deck, airdeck. Pottering about, fishing, beach hopping, diving. How your going to transport it, storage, how often are you going to use it. Budget????
I think you'll get where I'm coming from. The more info you can give, the better the advice will be. Then it will narrow your search down considerably.
Old 04 April 2022, 15:12   #8

Thanks everyone for the great info.

@Steve I was after a medium sized airfloor boat due to weight (health issues) and not trailering, so will be used for beach hopping and pootling along some lakes and rivers - no fishing.

luckily not put off xD - my partner and I have managed to secure a low use but 4 year old Excel 330 Volante and 6hp yam and collecting it at the end of the week, so was quite literally asking how to check the setup it all good and as described.

From the photos, it all looks in great condition (Happy to show some of the sellers pictures if that would help)

Also are there any specific checks i could do for that sib (if there are any know issues) and yamaha?

how long would everyone spend checking and testing (what is a reasonable amount of time)?

thank you for all the continued help

James
Old 04 April 2022, 15:30   #9

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
For peace of mind better buy new inflatables and motor. Saturn inflatables has nice inflatables at affordable prices. Check if possible to find a 2 stroke motor which weights much less than same HP counterparts...

Happy Boating
Old 04 April 2022, 16:07   #10

As I said further up really....

See the outboard cold started and make sure it does so easily. Shouldn't have blue smoke. Choke should be able to be pushed in after a couple of minutes. Stop it and try a hot restart. Should have a good strong tell-tale stream. Try it in and out of forward and reverse at idle. Should look almost new under the cowl. Hopefully a damage free prop.

Have the SIB inflated for your arrival and give a general look over for any damage not declared.

Beyond that not much more you can do. Asking to take to a marina for an on-water test is unrealistic. To be honest a 4yr old leisure use outfit should be and likely is almost as new.

You should be able to find out all you need to know in ten mins.
Old 04 April 2022, 16:56   #11

The only caveat I would add is if it's been left outside uncovered for 4 years, but you would soon spot UV degradation especially if it's a coloured Excel 330.
No known issues with the SD330 but a few of things I would also look at are:-
Below the airdeck you may find a keelboard (not sure when Excel fitted them to the 330) If one is fitted it will either be carbon fibre or ply. If its ply it may have started to delaminate, no big deal if it has but you will need to make a new one - £40??
Also if a keelboard is fitted, look where it fits between the "hull" and the tubes, check for excessive wear - if it's been left inflated for any length of time grit and sand do get trapped there.
Check the transom. Make sure it's solid, no water ingress and that any holes (transom wheels) have been sealed properly.

Have you any pics you can post?
Old 04 April 2022, 17:42   #12

Some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (6).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	140150   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (5).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	140151   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (4).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	140152   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	140153   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	140154  

Old 04 April 2022, 17:43   #13

2 more photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	140155   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	140156  
Old 04 April 2022, 17:57   #14

Looks like you'll have no problems, if they are last years pics, it hasn't been used much.
Think that SD330 did have a keelboard fitted, if it's ply wear and tear will show if it's been used a little or a lot.
Looks like a newish 4 stroke Yam - same age as the SIB?? Check paperwork for service etc see if hours are shown in the service book.
Looks like a nice outfit.
Check out Pumpkinking on the forum, he's got an SD330 with a 6hp Suzi and done a few setup threads.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 04 April 2022, 18:03   #15

Everything looks very smart. Good luck for collection day.
Old 04 April 2022, 18:32   #16

#13 first picture. Where the two small straps are (next to the shoe) there should be a pvc mat with a strap and buckle to secure the fuel tank. Better weight distribution with the fuel tank at the front. Just me being picky, but there is no harm in asking where it is when you collect your new to you SIB.
Old 04 April 2022, 21:24   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
The only caveat I would add is if it's been left outside uncovered for 4 years, but you would soon spot UV degradation especially if it's a coloured Excel 330.
No known issues with the SD330 but a few of things I would also look at are:-
Below the airdeck you may find a keelboard (not sure when Excel fitted them to the 330) If one is fitted it will either be carbon fibre or ply. If its ply it may have started to delaminate, no big deal if it has but you will need to make a new one - £40??
Also if a keelboard is fitted, look where it fits between the "hull" and the tubes, check for excessive wear - if it's been left inflated for any length of time grit and sand do get trapped there.
Check the transom. Make sure it's solid, no water ingress and that any holes (transom wheels) have been sealed properly.

Have you any pics you can post?

Great knowledge Steve, I will be sure to check all of those spots specifically, too.
Old 04 April 2022, 21:39   #18

Quote:
Looks like you'll have no problems, if they are last years pics, it hasn't been used much.
Think that SD330 did have a keelboard fitted, if it's ply wear and tear will show if it's been used a little or a lot.
Looks like a newish 4 stroke Yam - same age as the SIB?? Check paperwork for service etc see if hours are shown in the service book.
Looks like a nice outfit.
Check out Pumpkinking on the forum, he's got an SD330 with a 6hp Suzi and done a few setup threads.
Let us know how it goes.
Yes, the yam is also 4 years old but seller says it has only about 10 hours on it. With the low hours, should it have been serviced/winterised to not void warranty/best practice?

Does anyone have a photo of a keel board so that I know what it should or shouldn't look like?
Old 04 April 2022, 21:45   #19

Quote:
#13 first picture. Where the two small straps are (next to the shoe) there should be a pvc mat with a strap and buckle to secure the fuel tank. Better weight distribution with the fuel tank at the front. Just me being picky, but there is no harm in asking where it is when you collect your new to you SIB.
I did notice that and assumed that it was just a trip hazard at the bow for how they used the boat, due to where they had the fuel tank. I would be putting the fuel tank at the bow, so will be needing it.
Old 04 April 2022, 21:45   #20

Don't worry about the OB warranty. It is likely the servicing conditions haven't been met if it was supposed to be yearly at a dealer... but honestly on a newish 6hp the chances of a warranty being needed are tiny.

And remember in all of this... you have made a very substantial saving over new prices and found a smart ready assembled setup so you have loads of leeway to sort any small issues.

Tags
outboard, sib