Old 30 April 2019, 19:50   #1

Town: Shropshire
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15
Bought a mercury 15, what next?

I have just purchased a mercury 2 stroke 15hp after lurking these great forums for quite some time. I was looking for a used honwave t32... but I’ve seen a few around the coast using the Costco sib. I’ve read “which sib” and learnt a lot from it. In an honest opinion, for someone totally new to this, would you guys recommend a used honwave or a new Costco sib (warranty is tempting)... I have around £900 to play with after getting my outboard... and Mrs is dubious on blowing too much money on a hobby we’ve never tried on our own... but I’m sure we will love it. Thank you
Old 30 April 2019, 20:00   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
If you can find a couple of hundred more I would go for a new Honwave T38IE

It is a lovely match with the engine you have bought
Old 30 April 2019, 20:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
If you can find a couple of hundred more I would go for a new Honwave T38IE

It is a lovely match with the engine you have bought
Really? I thought about it but noticed they often come with 20hp engines when bought as a package...

Would I noticed much difference in speed between the t32 and t38 using the 15hp? Often it will just be the 2 of us.
Old 30 April 2019, 20:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barter View Post
Really? I thought about it but noticed they often come with 20hp engines when bought as a package...

Would I noticed much difference in speed between the t32 and t38 using the 15hp? Often it will just be the 2 of us.

I would go for the T38 it has loads more space. 2 up the 15 Will push it along very well. My 9.8 Pushed mine well and my 15hp merc a little better

This is my T38IE with me (fat git) and her indoors and a Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke
Old 30 April 2019, 21:07   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
First boat? Second hand every time (thankfully there is an endless supply of near minty Honwaves on EBay from those who saw one in a showroom, bought new, hated it/used it once and didn’t follow this advice - let them lose the money for you! ).

Stick to a big name nice clean (Zodiac, Honwave etc). See if boating is for you and her indoors and if not sell on for the same money.

New hobby tried for nothing and if you like it - great!

If not then at least you tried.
Old 30 April 2019, 21:21   #6

Great advice, thank you... I think I kinda knew that was the way to go... the Costco just seemed the quick and easy way out? With not having the experience/knowledge with what to look out for second hand. But yes you’ve made my mind up, il go honwave.

So now it’s wether i go t32 or t38, the difference in weight between the boats is just 9kg... so am I right in thinking 2 up the speed/performance of the 15 wouldn’t be effected too dramatically?

It’s just I noticed the t32 was rated to 15, and the t38 to 25 so was wondering if my 15 may be a little under powered...
Old 30 April 2019, 21:56   #7

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
First boat? Second hand every time (thankfully there is an endless supply of near minty Honwaves on EBay from those who saw one in a showroom, bought new, hated it/used it once and didn’t follow this advice - let them lose the money for you! ).

Stick to a big name nice clean (Zodiac, Honwave etc). See if boating is for you and her indoors and if not sell on for the same money.

New hobby tried for nothing and if you like it - great!

If not then at least you tried.
Agree with everything Max says here..
And I'm sure I saw a T38 on there a few days ago..
If you decide boating is for you, could be upgrading instead of selling up.
Don't forget to factor in the cost of needed safety gear btw.
Old 01 May 2019, 05:34   #8

The only issue is Barter has already got his engine and many of the second hand ones are sold as a complete package.... Buying a T38 new is not that expensive
Old 01 May 2019, 06:13   #9

Where/how are you going to use it? If you've read the 'which SIB' sticky then don't want to repeat all the usual advice there re' airfloor vs solid floor but 'most' people find for 'typical' SIB use that the convenience, lightweightness, easier launch etc and general less faffness of an airfloor an advantage over the more solidness of a hard floor.

A 3.4m airlfoor and a Merc 15 2 smoke is the real sweet spot combo in SIBbing again for most. Launch and carry with two, engine the heaviest that a normal person can reasonably manhandle. Will carry two or more and hit 17 kts.

Not all of course and this is generalising but for 'most' it works out that way.

eBay is the best place probably - lots of HW's go through there and you want to look for a nice clean one, decent description, well looked after and post a link - members on here will advise if anything is glaringly obvious.

Inspect the general condition - make sure no nasty patches, multiple scrapes, peeling seams, cracked or damaged transom, broken/missing fittings, damaged/leaky valves etc.

SIBs are very simple and a bad one is obvious on examination.
Old 01 May 2019, 07:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Where/how are you going to use it? If you've read the 'which SIB' sticky then don't want to repeat all the usual advice there re' airfloor vs solid floor but 'most' people find for 'typical' SIB use that the convenience, lightweightness, easier launch etc and general less faffness of an airfloor an advantage over the more solidness of a hard floor.

A 3.4m airlfoor and a Merc 15 2 smoke is the real sweet spot combo in SIBbing again for most. Launch and carry with two, engine the heaviest that a normal person can reasonably manhandle. Will carry two or more and hit 17 kts.

Not all of course and this is generalising but for 'most' it works out that way.

eBay is the best place probably - lots of HW's go through there and you want to look for a nice clean one, decent description, well looked after and post a link - members on here will advise if anything is glaringly obvious.

Inspect the general condition - make sure no nasty patches, multiple scrapes, peeling seams, cracked or damaged transom, broken/missing fittings, damaged/leaky valves etc.

SIBs are very simple and a bad one is obvious on examination.
Mainly coastal cruising (not too far out!) we spend a lot of time around the Llyn Peninsula so would like to do some beach hopping around there.

Once again great advice so thank you. We are going air deck for sure. I suppose the bad sibs should be easy to spot.

I’m now trawling eBay/gumtree... before I had an engine there was loads... now I’ve got one they are slim pickings, sods law
Old 01 May 2019, 08:19   #11

Quote:
Mainly coastal cruising (not too far out!) we spend a lot of time around the Llyn Peninsula so would like to do some beach hopping around there.

Once again great advice so thank you. We are going air deck for sure. I suppose the bad sibs should be easy to spot.

I’m now trawling eBay/gumtree... before I had an engine there was loads... now I’ve got one they are slim pickings, sods law
If coastal use I would deffo go the 3.8

You can surf for ages and not find one without a motor that is why I said buy new before the season ends (£1100)
Old 01 May 2019, 08:23   #12

Quote:
If coastal use I would deffo go the 3.8

You can surf for ages and not find one without a motor that is why I said buy new before the season ends (£1100)
Makes sense, get the warranty too then. Thank you. I paid 800 for the engine so I guess it’s still a nice set up sub 2000.
Thank you all for the great advice
Old 01 May 2019, 12:01   #13

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
got a slow floor puncture but advice on here for repair

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Bomb...0AAOSwt4VcxDcq
Old 01 May 2019, 12:07   #14

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hate to say it as the seller has posted on here in the past but have to be fair to Barter...

Probably not for a Newbie Jeff... that's nearing end of life and could turn out to be a fairly involved project.
Old 01 May 2019, 12:16   #15

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hate to say it as the seller has posted on here in the past but have to be fair to Barter...

Probably not for a Newbie Jeff... that's nearing end of life and could turn out to be a fairly involved project.
fairpoint didnt look too bad from the pics though as you say 2001
Old 02 May 2019, 23:37   #16

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Quote:
Great advice, thank you... I think I kinda knew that was the way to go... the Costco just seemed the quick and easy way out? With not having the experience/knowledge with what to look out for second hand. But yes you’ve made my mind up, il go honwave.

So now it’s wether i go t32 or t38, the difference in weight between the boats is just 9kg... so am I right in thinking 2 up the speed/performance of the 15 wouldn’t be effected too dramatically?

It’s just I noticed the t32 was rated to 15, and the t38 to 25 so was wondering if my 15 may be a little under powered...
Get the 38, bigger is always better with these small boats. The difference in speed can be offset by how much beer you bring.
Once you get your boat ask around here about engine height, trim angle and prop size for your setup.
Be prepared to try different engine mount positions on your first outing.
Also BOLT YOUR ENGINE not just the twist clamps.
Old 03 May 2019, 06:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagick View Post
Get the 38, bigger is always better with these small boats. The difference in speed can be offset by how much beer you bring.
Once you get your boat ask around here about engine height, trim angle and prop size for your setup.
Be prepared to try different engine mount positions on your first outing.
Also BOLT YOUR ENGINE not just the twist clamps.

What is wrong with the Twist clamps It is only a 15 hp 2 stroke.... I always use the twist clamps and have had no issues
Old 03 May 2019, 08:29   #18
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
What is wrong with the Twist clamps It is only a 15 hp 2 stroke.... I always use the twist clamps and have had no issues

Did I was taking it on/off each time I would too. But add a safety chain (or strong rope) which is so short you can’t lift the engine off the transom with it connected.
Old 03 May 2019, 12:37   #19

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:

They loosen off over time?
You'd never notice if they were protected by a clamp lock.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 03 May 2019, 13:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
They loosen off over time?
You'd never notice if they were protected by a clamp lock.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Over how much time? Just comes down to user error as always. Never if tightened properly, checked before each outing and checked periodically if on a long day out. Like Poly always have a tether too though.