Old 15 July 2014, 18:58   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Bostic 2402 easy way to measure?

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone had come up with an easy way to get the ratio right for the adhesive and the hardener.

In the instuctions it says 100 parts adhesive to 6 parts hardener, how the hell you are supposed to measure that I dont know (but I am thick ) so was wondering if there was an easy measure say; 100ml to six drops or........?

Old 15 July 2014, 19:10   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
The method depends on what you have there. If you have a small kit then that is the ratio 1 to 1!

If you have 250ml of the main adhesive, then you have 15mls of hardener?

Sooooo, you can divide the 250 ml up into say, half, and then half the hardener. If you are really picky then use a 10ml syringe for the hardener.

I did this last week - worked a treat (PVC two part)

Another way would be to ask Poly. He'll probably tell you a LOT of stuff and then suggest that you take a known (measured - lol, try measuring glue) quantity of adhesive and multiply by 6% = quantity of hardener. Something like that
Old 15 July 2014, 19:33   #3
RIBnet supporter

Thanks willk,
I knew it would be simple I have the 250ml adhesive and 10ml hardener (hypalon).

Old 15 July 2014, 20:04   #4
RIBnet supporter

Still Confused

Just re-read the instuctions as 6% of 250ml is as you say willk 15ml and they have only supplied 10ml of hardener.

It says to take by weight 100 parts to 6 parts. I will just divide it up to equal amounts I think, hope its not critical to get the ratio spot on
Old 15 July 2014, 20:50   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post
Just re-read the instuctions as 6% of 250ml is as you say willk 15ml and they have only supplied 10ml of hardener.

It says to take by weight 100 parts to 6 parts. I will just divide it up to equal amounts I think, hope its not critical to get the ratio spot on
That's the other way. It works too! The pot will set a little quicker or a little slower depending. TBH, it's probably more dependent on temperature. Use a syringe to half the hardener - it's the trickier one to gauge...
Old 15 July 2014, 21:28   #6
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That's the other way. It works too! The pot will set a little quicker or a little slower depending. TBH, it's probably more dependent on temperature. Use a syringe to half the hardener - it's the trickier one to gauge...
Old 16 July 2014, 18:27   #7

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
I sometimes use a digital kitchen weighing scale for smaller quantity mixtures of epoxy and 2K glues. I checked the calibration with water, it was just spot on. Sometimes can be hard to get the density of the chemicals(or the weight ratio) as often the mixtures is informed basis volyme, but when know the scale is handy to use.
Old 16 July 2014, 19:24   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Another way would be to ask Poly. He'll probably tell you a LOT of stuff and then suggest that you take a known (measured - lol, try measuring glue) quantity of adhesive and multiply by 6% = quantity of hardener. Something like that
I use syringes for measuring stuff like this, but I have ready access to a variety of sizes of syringes and treat them as essentially single use / disposable. If you were paying pharmacy rates (I believe big ones might be easier to get at vets) then if you have a lot to do you might be cheaper popping to argos to get a cheap set of kitchen scales (or risking the wife's wrath when the kitchen smells of adhesive for weeks!).

Oh - and willk - poly would tell you to buy a boat that didn't need patching ;-)
Old 16 July 2014, 20:31   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
...but I have ready access to a variety of sizes of syringes and treat them as essentially single use / disposable.
Have you moved? Last time I googled your gaff it looked like quite a plush neighbourhood...
Old 16 July 2014, 20:36   #10
RIBnet supporter

Thanks for all the replys and suggestions ,

I took willks view that it would either go off quicker or slower depending on the ratio so no big deal, as it turned out I must have been close as the setting times were just about right (more luck than judgement) have to say that it seems bloomin good stuff not used it before but so far so good.