Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
After seeing what a minefield the transom wheel subject is, I’m very tempted to get a folding launch trolley for my new boat. Yeah it might restrict me a little, but I’ll always be boating with someone that can return the trolley to the camper or watch the boat while I do it.

It’s not an issue, we just like to worry about minor stuff[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2023, 18:09   #162

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Genuine question not a wind up. Do all you folks that try various types of expensive folding up wheels really need fold ups? I can't think of the last time we needed transom wheels post launch/pre recovery so the bolt on/off ones have proved ideal.
Valid point for some if launching and landing off/on piers or floating moorings, and leaving afloat for days like my last trip where the wheels were hardly used.

Except, like the others we land and explore frequently, have dog breaks and walks and prefer a dryish land/launch when doing so.

We could leave anchored like say in Donnie’s videos, and wade in/out some times if we had the correct gear, or on a beautiful summers day with a pair of shorts on.

We really do need to invest in some proper clothing if we want to extend our boating season/options.

We did look into the bungee rope anchor which would also work for us on occasions.

With the wheels we pull up on shore, with the wheels down(hence why need relatively heavy duty ones with the volaire) pull the sib onto land, and dog and wife jump out/in…….dry. (Anything to keep the sometimes reluctant crew engaged with this Sibbing lark)

An option we did try was taking the wheels onboard, which just didn’t work for us and we prefer leaving them on the transom out of the way.
Old 10 August 2023, 18:20   #163

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
After seeing what a minefield the transom wheel subject is, I’m very tempted to get a folding launch trolley for my new boat. Yeah it might restrict me a little, but I’ll always be boating with someone that can return the trolley to the camper or watch the boat while I do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
It’s not an issue, we just like to worry about minor stuff[emoji6]

Worrying and fettling is all part of the fun

Best thing to do Jon is get on the water, see what your boating consists of, then decide what is the right set up for you.

Be it wheels, trolley, trailer or whatever.

Then change your mind in a years time and come back and revisit these threads….we will still be here
Old 10 August 2023, 19:07   #164

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
We really do need to invest in some proper clothing if we want to extend our boating season/options.
Yak dry pants, definitely the answer to extending the season, earlier and later. Probably only used them a handful of times, but worth the investment.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/keeping-dry-85885.html

Quote:
We did look into the bungee rope anchor which would also work for us on occasions.
Bought and used twice, and to be fair worked well. However, would I leave Redneck like that and go for a 2 hour walk, probably not.

Quote:
With the wheels we pull up on shore, with the wheels down(hence why need relatively heavy duty ones with the volaire) pull the sib onto land, and dog and wife jump out/in…….dry. (Anything to keep the sometimes reluctant crew engaged with this Sibbing lark)
Hit the nail on the head! I loved dinghy sailing, Diane hated it with passion. Anything to keep it interesting, comfortable and dry wins hands down.

Jon if I was you I'd hang fire on buying wheels, launching trailer etc and get everything else set up first. If your thinking/worried about launching for your first few times whilst you run in the outboard and get things set up you are more than welcome to use my trailer.
Old 10 August 2023, 19:10   #165

Town: Wigan
Boat name: Don’t have one yet
I get the worrying and fettling all being part of it. I’ve got an old VW camper that keeps me in full time worrying and fettling ��

I think a folding launch trolley might suit my needs right now. 6 year old and 2 teenagers that just want to explore the sea. They aren’t afraid of getting wet. I’d go as far as saying they are sea monsters.
Old 10 August 2023, 19:12   #166

Thanks Steve, I might just try your trolley one day. Engine should arrive next week, too. It’s getting there.
Old 10 August 2023, 19:14   #167

Quote:
Thanks Steve, I might just try your trolley one day. Engine should arrive next week, too. It’s getting there.
Not a trolley, trailer. Needs a tow bar, electrics, plate etc.
Old 10 August 2023, 19:17   #168

Do you think a nice mod could change the title of this thread to:-

SIB transom wheels and other launching devices.

or anything else that others may suggest (Chipko don't, it's a public forum)
Old 10 August 2023, 19:17   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Not a trolley, trailer. Needs a tow bar, electrics, plate etc.
Ah, is that the folding one you showed me?
Old 10 August 2023, 19:19   #170

Quote:
Ah, is that the folding one you showed me?
Bolted, but road legal.
Old 10 August 2023, 19:20   #171

Quote:
Bolted, but road legal.
I remember now.
Old 10 August 2023, 21:49   #172

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>We beach a lot on our travels, pub lunches, coffee, walks, dog stops.

Yep I guess it does depend loads on the character of your stops. We only really leave the boat for any time, say a cafe lunch, when on a pontoon and when we beach we pull part out then stay within sight so adjust re tide. If we have to pull right out above the tide line it's rare but then the Gurnard approved rollers are deployed.... yellow ones of course. It's great entertainment for bystanders.
Old 10 August 2023, 22:12   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
If we have to pull right out above the tide line it's rare but then the Gurnard approved rollers are deployed.... yellow ones of course. It's great entertainment for bystanders.
Bloody hell David, your mention of beach rollers made me look back at a previous thread to when I bought some beach rollers -

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/broken-transom-wheels-excel-customer-service-86211.html

Made me realise I've been going on about transom wheels for more than 2 years. I need to get a life!

Beach rollers are fine in an emergency, but they are bloody hard work.
Old 13 August 2023, 16:13   #174

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Going back to dinghy launch wheels, l've now used my Beachmaster copy wheels a few times and l
can say that so far they've been great. One mistake l made was to heave the SIB up a low curb which probably wasn't a great idea as it bent the lower pivot mountings on the wheels a little.
It doesn't affect their operation although it would be straightforward to straighten them out if necessary.

Also two of the locking pins have come a bit loose but they seem secure, as in, l can't pull them out with a pair of pliers.

The SIB is massively easier to pull along (than with the previous plastic dolly wheels)
Particularly when the ground isn't smooth.

The wheels cause a bit of turbulence behind the transom. Although they are above the bottom when folded, obviously the boat sits lower in the water with two of us onboard.

l've tested this and it makes no difference to planing and there's no splashback.

However the wheels can of course be removed in a few seconds if needed. They are easy to lower when the boat is in the water, not much effort needed to get them
in the water due to the pivot mechanism helping you out, and they float when removed so you can't lose them.

I would highly recommend these wheels or the genuine Beachmaster if you can afford it.

When pulling the boat along, the bottom of the tubes are about five inches off the ground, which is great, with the previous wheels the tubes sometimes touched the ground which wasn't ideal.
Old 13 August 2023, 17:19   #175

Town: Colchester
Been sibbing a few years now and never had wheels on my main sib....... Seem to manage OK. Lightweight Honwave T38 and 2 stroke motors
Old 13 August 2023, 18:03   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Been sibbing a few years now and never had wheels on my main sib....... Seem to manage OK. Lightweight Honwave T38 and 2 stroke motors
Different strokes for different folks. You don't need transom wheels, I couldn't manage without them.
Old 13 August 2023, 18:05   #177

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. You don't need transom wheels, I couldn't manage without them.
Need a lighter boat
Old 13 August 2023, 18:15   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Also two of the locking pins have come a bit loose but they seem secure, as in, l can't pull them out with a pair of pliers
I can't remember if you bought the from Chas Newens or not, but if you did, send an email to their customer services department, helpful chap called Paul Barnard. They will send you some new oversized pins which are much tighter and don't move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
The wheels cause a bit of turbulence behind the transom. Although they are above the bottom when folded, obviously the boat sits lower in the water with two of us onboard.
Obviously how low they are fitted in relation to the bottom of the transom will make a difference, and presumably the SIB that you are fitting them too. I have not experienced any turbulence from the wheels whatsoever.
Old 13 August 2023, 18:18   #179

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
l wouldn't like to try and get my 2.8m Zodiac with outboard in or out of the water without wheels.

Well, unless you can tip the boat in/out of the water like on the canal or the Broads.

A lot of our launches are from the beach or slipway (Anglesey, Scottish Lochs, Lake District etc) where the wheels just make it effortless.

The good thing about Beachmaster type wheels is they can be completely removed in a few seconds on occasions when you don't need them.
Or never fitted when you roll out the boat.

So, best of both worlds.
Old 13 August 2023, 18:20   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
Need a lighter boat
Wouldn't help. Pub stops, dog wee stops, 2 hour walks etc Beaching is a must and depending on the state of the tide it's either up or down the beach.