Old 10 September 2014, 22:41   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhunter View Post
Yeah but they didn't make Landrovers with an aluminium chassis and a steel body.

That chassis will flex all over the place without the rest of the caravan to support it so it'll need plenty of reinforcement as well as the cracks repairing.

If the OP is going to do that with a steel frame then he might as well just knock up a new trailer using the hitch and axle. I don't see the point in keeping the aluminium bit.
Errrr landrovers have steel chassis with aluminium body hung over steel frames the corrosion doesn't recognise which is which

my point is it will work but for how long is anyones guess

op states he doesn't want to scrap what he has & looked for suggestion's to retain I offered a feasible solution

doesn't have full workshop facilities to fabricate a new trailer but may be able to knock something together to do the job of carrying the boat which is probably less than 1/4 the weight of the caravan

not everyone has lots of money to spend on new gear & its not likely to spread itself allover the road first time out I doubt hes going to do 100's of miles first trip

as long as he reinforces it & keeps an eye on everything he'll be fine
Old 11 September 2014, 16:45   #22

Boat name: ....
Length: no boat
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Thank you Beamishken ! Was starting to believe i was the only one here who thought repairing this for the sib was not a totally stupid idea.

I appreciate every reply and take each persons view into account but reading through the responses it does seem a bit doom and gloom, perhaps I didn't explain in enough detail what i was trying to achieve !

the caravan still hadn't fell apart after 15 years, guess that explains why the manufacturer has the steel axle bolted to the ally chassis.

I agree 100% that it would be best to simply go buy a better suited trailer rather than make do with this one - but i don't have much money left to spend on this boat setup, which is why i started the thread.

Will keep an eye open for a better trailer within my budget, but for the time being and to get the sib on the water soon as we can before winter, I will work with this current trailer and name it Jeepster 2.
Old 11 September 2014, 17:15   #23

Boat name: ....
Length: no boat
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Just found this post on another forum, has the same ally chassis from the same model caravan, he's done a good job don't you think ?

Image: Trailer back.jpg at LocostBuilders

I'm guessing I wouldn't need as much steel though to support the sib !

I wonder if the chassis has cracks in the same place on those welds....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer back.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	98724  
Old 17 September 2014, 15:46   #24

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandR View Post
Thank you Beamishken ! Was starting to believe i was the only one here who thought repairing this for the sib was not a totally stupid idea.

I appreciate every reply and take each persons view into account but reading through the responses it does seem a bit doom and gloom, perhaps I didn't explain in enough detail what i was trying to achieve ! .
Having read the thread, would I be right in thinking that in summary you have a hitch & an axle connected by two aluminium bent beams, both of which are cracked?

The cross bracing you talk about on the boat trailer is dealt with by the caravan floor in the original design.

I assume you would be fitting bunks or similar to hold the boat up? .......

Quote:
How about a full length ( from hitch to back ) steel box section A frame welded up, and simply bolted on top of the existing chassis and welded to the axle brackets ?.

Hows about the "landrover " version: - What you say there, but instead of bolting it to the Ally, just clamp the axle straight on & drill it for the hitch. That will give you a decent solid chassis. Then use the scrap aluminium to form the bunks. - Still no wastage, and you put a single, weldable material on the bit you need to be strong.

Quote:
the caravan still hadn't fell apart after 15 years, guess that explains why the manufacturer has the steel axle bolted to the ally chassis..
With a crack like that it was (is) only a matter of time..... Beware just 'coz it was done that way doesn't mean it's right - the crack is the clue! I guess they used lly 'coz its so much lighter.

That sacrificial corrosion would be happening since the first day it saw water. - the difference is you will have that in saline environments even if you don't dunk it.

The thing with cracks is once started they won't stop, and if your axle / suspension is designed to take the weight of a caravan, but only holding the weight of a SIB you are going to see a lot of bouncing, thus speeding up the crack propogation.

Google "Fatigue failure" - The allies lost a lot of liberty ships during WW2 because of it.

Quote:
I agree 100% that it would be best to simply go buy a better suited trailer rather than make do with this one - but i don't have much money left to spend on this boat setup, which is why i started the thread.

When I took delivery of my current Rib the trailer could only have been described as a deathtrap.
I looked at modfying / upgrading it, but very quickly found that the difference in cost between a refurb (which would have included welding) and buying a new one designed to fit the boat was going to be negligible. Like don't go out & burn premix for a couple of trips & save up the difference negligible....

Quote:
Will keep an eye open for a better trailer within my budget, but for the time being and to get the sib on the water soon as we can before winter, I will work with this current trailer and name it Jeepster 2.

Marine JetSki JS07 (Southampton) | Used Trailers | Trailer Range | Indespension
Any use? - I believe they can deliver it to your local depot.

Indespension do low cost jetski trailers in bunk or roller format new for about £700 - I had one under my old SR4.

As a final thought.... if this is an old caravan the suspension will be way overrated & the hitch braked. could you use the profits of them & the scrap ally to part fund the replacement unbraked trailer with a suitable load rating? (My laser used to sit on a "generic" snipe dinghy chassis. It spent half it's time behind the car airbourne. The 470 (approx 55Kg heavier) was a better weight match to the suspension & towed like it was part of the car on the same road base.

I can see where you are coming from, but having been there I would say have a serious realistic look at the rebuild - it will probably end up alot more expensive than you think!