Old 08 January 2013, 07:25   #1

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Tie downs when towing!!!

Hi all

I thought I would throw this out to everyone to see what the general thoughts are....
When towing your RIB do any of you use ratchet tie downs? I know the RIB will be secured at the front and back but I have been told there is no need it. I used to do it to my SIB with cushions to protect the tubes?
My thinking is that going over POT HOLED ROADS would make the RIB jump on the rollers even if it weighs 300kg+.
Old 08 January 2013, 07:35   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
I would never go over the tubes, like you say that bouncing will cause the tubes to chafe, so we stick to 3 ratchets, one on the bow and two on the transom

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
Old 08 January 2013, 07:38   #3

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
I use the winch at the front, 2 short straps diagonally across the transom (holds the stern down and stops the rear end moving sideways) and a single strap about a third of the way back from the bow over the top, with some padding under it where it crosses the tubes. Not had a problem so far.
Old 08 January 2013, 07:39   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I always tie mine down with ratchet straps I dont even protect the tubes & there are no marks on the hypalon after 10 years
there is no way to tie mine at the stern so i guess i have no choice but even with other boats I always had a strap over the boat as well as fore & aft
Old 08 January 2013, 07:52   #5

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Winch alone at the bow I would have thought is brave, I use a ratchet strap with the winch strap and a safety chain on the towing eye, and two ratchet straps on the transom eyes.

Each to there own, but my boat doesn't move.
Old 08 January 2013, 08:15   #6

Length: 7m +
With full boat cover on, two ratchet straps on front plus the winch strap and two ratchet straps on transom, plus one slightly looser over the rib about two thirds down from the bow.
Old 08 January 2013, 08:39   #7

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki DF175
I do it the way Woody73 had it when he sold me the boat: 1 x ratchet strap through the hardpoint at the bow and round under the trailer. 1 x ratchet strap which starts at one side of the trailer, goes through the hardpoint eyes on either side of the transom and then down to the other side of the trailer.

I would 100% not tow without the boat tied down: it shits me up enough going over potholes with it strapped down!
Old 08 January 2013, 08:47   #8

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamchowder View Post
it shits me up enough going over potholes with it strapped down!
I love all these nautical terms…
Old 08 January 2013, 09:35   #9

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Potholes aren't nautical! (well, apart form the ones big enough to fill with rain & go ribbing on..... )

I don't bopther with a ratchet at the front as the winch holds it down, but I do however have a 10mm wire that clips on to the bow eye and heads aft to the chassis (in case of a shunt - should stop or slow the boat on it's momentum induced attempt to keep going) it goes tight as the boat hits the snubber. There is a 6mm one that is slack, but should the winch and both aft ratchets fail stop it rolling off the back. (but by the time that happens I;d like to think I;d have noticed a flapping web or two in the mirrors) that one also doubles as a "boat on the slip" emergency cord.

As for holding it down, if the winch lets go, I'll notice the vertical movement in the mirrorr - at night the bow is lit by the car's tail lamps.

Over the toobs? No way - all I need is the sun to come up or go down & the toobs harden / soften. Fix to the solid bits!

Beamishken - I assume you have a couple of bolts holding your engine on? Why not replace them with eyebolts?
Old 08 January 2013, 10:16   #10

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
+1 to not putting it over the tubes! I just run 2 straps front to back...but itd obviously be different for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P270511_20.17_[02].jpg
Views:	299
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	75333  
Old 08 January 2013, 11:10   #11

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
I don't know about anyone else, but just the winch at the front wouldn't stop my boat flying forward in the event of 'sudden stop' (when the straps at the rear wouldn't help too much). I have a ratchet from the bow eye to the trailer at as low an angle I can manage.

I don't fancy a boat coming into the car in an accident, but I could be paranoid.
Old 08 January 2013, 15:35   #12

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Thanks for all the advice. Securing at the front and stern seems to be the preferred way.
It's good to be able to put a general question out and get so many quick replys.
Old 08 January 2013, 15:39   #13

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Winch strap through the transom eye, safety chain attached to the transom eye, ratchet strap through the transom eye and secured at each end about half way down the trailer, single ratchet strap from the rear of the trailer and then through each transom eye.

No way would I put a strap over the tubes.

No way would I rely totally on the winch.
Old 08 January 2013, 16:00   #14

Not over the tubes!!! :'( And not just on the winch either! I've seen a rib hop straight off it's trailer like that.

I just use the winch, then tie the painter onto the winchpost securely, then I run ratchet strap from each stern d ring to the trailer and then finally, a ratchet strap running from one side of the trailer, through the bow d ring down to the other side of the trailer. Easy peasy, never had a problem with it.
Old 08 January 2013, 16:35   #15

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
so we stick to 3 ratchets, one on the bow and two on the transom

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007[/QUOTE]

agreed...thats what XS ribs told me to do.

1 short ratchet through the bow eye to the trailer
2 longer ratchets from the trailer through the stern towing eyes on the transom.
Old 08 January 2013, 16:55   #16

Town: Plymouth
On "hard boats" we would link the ratchet together and go over the sides, as well as one on the transom plus the most important bow strap, this one never gets removed until at the bottom of the slip, ready to leave the trailer

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
Old 08 January 2013, 17:14   #17

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Pull down rather than ratchet on the bow, tied vertically down. Painter tied forward and winch left just tight as well. Long ratchet strap at the rear from trailer, up through tow eye, back down through other eye and secured to the trailer.

Never had one move yet

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2013, 15:21   #18

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughN View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but just the winch at the front wouldn't stop my boat flying forward in the event of 'sudden stop' (when the straps at the rear wouldn't help too much). I have a ratchet from the bow eye to the trailer at as low an angle I can manage.

I don't fancy a boat coming into the car in an accident, but I could be paranoid.
You're not.

There was a pic in the Laser class association newlsletter many years ago where a laser (58Kg) on a trailer was in an accident. The laser was poking out through the back window of a Vauxhall Nova. Only the beam of the hull wedging in the window pillars stopped it carrying on. Probably just as well for the driver it was a Nova- a wider window would have allowed it further in.

I have twin 8mm wires secured to the trailer chassis at the point where the drawbar "splits". One is slacker than the other, and both are o nthe U- clamps. Theory being I get "graded" stopping of the boat. If both of them let go it's next stop painter.

Unless of course the bow eye pulls out in which case I'm going to get a sore head... Hopefully will never have to test it.
Old 10 January 2013, 15:56   #19

Town: Beds/South coast
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yam 115
Yep, safety chain on the bow ring to the trailer & 2 ratchet straps on tow eyes behind the transom.
Old 10 January 2013, 16:23   #20

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Winch and Rope to the bow.
two rachet straps one to each rear tow eye and down to the trailer tie down hooks.

never moves. solid as a rock.

I never put straps over the tubes as they wear the tubes and can put alot of pressue on the tubes if it bounces.